Spitfire Vc, 54 Squadron RAF, Australia `43

Howdy Everyone,

Just finished my attempt at Special Hobbies 1/48 Spitfire Vc kit from the RAAF Service boxing

HXycfWr.jpg

Finished to represent a Vc flown by Sqn Ldr Eric Gibbs, No1 Fighter Wing, 54 Sqn, RAF, Winnellie, Northern Territory, Australia, 1943

AsgRS3l.jpg

Actually built 100% OOB for a change

Ein8ymB.jpg

Although I nearly made the mistake of adding aerial wire to the mast......

T40FoIe.jpg

...luckily I found out they didn`t have them just in time.

XBbTBI0.jpg

Probably the easiest SH kit I`ve built to date with only the wing roots needing some attention ( chop loads of material off the bottom of the fuselage side walls and sand the top of the u/c bays)

jq7i4Fh.jpg

The only other issue being which option to do 😊

EJ0KYbk.jpg

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 59

I love the Australian based Spitfire`s and you have nailed it again with this one,.... what a lovely model Russ,..... one thing though,.... 54 Sqn was an RAF unit,.... not RAAF! 

All the best,

Tony

• Like 1

Looks terrific Russ.  I really like these Aussie markings on a Spit although, and sorry to be pedantic, 54 Squadron was RAF not RAAF.  Anyway a great paint finish and, as usual, superb photography.   

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tonyot said:

I love the Australian based Spitfire`s and you have nailed it again with this one,.... what a lovely model Russ,..... one thing though,.... 54 Sqn was an RAF unit,.... not RAAF! 

All the best,

Tony

Cheers Tony, Title and other waffle edited to suit, misread the tiny writing on the instruction notes, doh!

15 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Looks terrific Russ.  I really like these Aussie markings on a Spit although, and sorry to be pedantic, 54 Squadron was RAF not RAAF.  Anyway a great paint finish and, as usual, superb photography.   

Thanks Meatbox`, Title and other waffle edited to suit, misread the tiny writing on the instruction notes, doh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Love it Russ,another  beautiful build as we've come to expect,I'm about to build Revell's boxing for the MTO GB so noted your issue's with the kit.

• Like 1

What a beautiful Spitfire Vc!

I really love the Vokes-equipped Vc (though others will debate what it does for a Spit's looks).

Your base and background are excellent too.  The growth between the slabs is strongly suggestive of the tropics.

Well done!

:goodjob:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/5/2018 at 6:57 PM, Tom Hyjt said:

Great job Russ.  I have a kit that I am trying to duplicate the exact colours you have.  Can you tell me what was the exact paint you used with their identification numbers? ..Tom

Hi Tom, It was painted in Humbrol Enamels;  Green 149, Dark Earth 29 and Blue 65 lightened with grey 166. Hope this helps

Cheers Russ