Blohm & Voss BV 155V-1 "Karawanken" - 1:72 Special Hobby

Paul A H

Blohm & Voss BV 155V-1 "Karawanken"

1:72 Special Hobby

bv-155v1_01.jpg

The Blohm & Voss BV-155 was a high-altitude interceptor, not dissimilar in concept to the Westland Welkin. The aircraft started life on the drawing board at Messerschmitt's headquarters at Augsberg as a navalised adaptation of the Me 109, before morphing into a high-altitude interceptor. The work was eventually handed over to Blohm & Voss in 1943 as Messerschmitt were simply too overworked to complete the design. Blohm & Voss made a number of key changes, including replacing the wing with a laminar flow design and fitting a new tail unit. The prominent wing-mounted radiators were also re-designed and the cockpit was moved forward in order to restore the proper centre of gravity. This delayed the aircraft's first flight until February 1945. Although the type was engaged in a full flight test programme, it failed to progress beyond this stage before the end of the war. The aircraft was named "Karawanken" after the Karawanken alps that form the border between Austria and Slovenia.

bv-155v1_02.jpg

bv-155v1_03.jpg

bv-155v1_04.jpg

If you think this is a re-release of the original Special Hobby kit from 2003, then think again. This is an all-new kit which could be described as mixed-media, although curiously the only resin parts are inserts for the main landing gear bays. Tke kit comprises well over 60 parts, although several are marked as unused for this particular edition, spread across four frames of grey plastic, as well as a single clear part and the aforementioned resin bits. The moulded detail is fine and crisp, although the overall impression is of a kit that is more limited run in nature than Special Hobby's recent P-40 or Vampire kits. The cockpit comprises a floor and rear bulkhead, seat, sidewalls, rudder pedals, control column and throttle. The sidewalls and throttle have to be fitted directly to the inside of the fuselage rather than to the cockpit tub itself. A plan view of this arrangement is included in the instructions, which suggests one should take care with the placement of these parts. before the fuselage halves can be joined, the tail wheel and large oil cooler assembly must be assembled and sandwiched between the two halves. Typically for a low-wing monoplane, the lower wing (at least the central part) is moulded in a single span, with seperate upper surfaces. None of the control surfaces are moulded separately. The huge underwing radiators are each comprised four parts that fit neatly behind the main landing gear bays. 

bv-155v1_05.jpg

Once the wing has been assembled, it can be joined to the fuselage. The main landing gear is nicely detailed and the wheels are split vertically. An additional diagram showing the exact angle of the landing gear leg and the camber of the wheel is provided. There are a couple of air intakes to fit to the forward fuselage, as well as a small DF loop which locates behind the cockpit. The canopy isn't quite as crisp as I would like, but it's definitely usable. The instructions show the arrangement for fitting the canopy in the open position, but keen-eyed modellers will have noticed that judicious application of the razor saw will be required if this option is desired. The propellor is moulded in two pieces which fit one over the other. This is a slightly unusual arrangement and a little extra care will be required to ensure that all four blades are sitting true before fitting the spinner.

bv-155v1_06.jpg

The decal sheet provides marking for a single prototype BV 155-V1, based at Finkerwalde in December 1944. Colour references are provided for the original RLM and Gunze codes. I believe a 'what if' version is in the offing if you prefer to finish your model in a theoretical in-service configuration.

bv-155v1_07.jpg

Conclusion

From time-to-time I review a kit that really appeals to me, regardless of the subject. This is a really nice little model. Despite its simplicity relative to some modern Special Hobby kits, it is well detailed and nicely executed. I can't see how it would take longer than a week to build and it will certainly stand out on your model shelf. Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of 

logo.gif
  • Like 3

Just now, GrahamS said:

Karawanken? 😂😂😂😂

Jeez, I really need to grow up.....

Graham 😁

I think I do as well 😂🤣

1 hour ago, GrahamS said:

Karawanken? 😂😂😂😂

Jeez, I really need to grow up.....

Graham 😁

I don't get it 😕 The Karawanks is a particularly beautiful part of central Europe, presumably populated by a proud race of Karawankers. It is particularly well known for the Karawankentunnel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karawanks_Tunnel_(motorway)) as well as dramatic peaks such as the Großerschwanz and the Hosenschlange :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'd like one in 1:48 :) looks like a Stuka and a 109 had an illicit relationship with something that has stupid long wings. :hmmm:

On 5/19/2018 at 9:05 AM, Paul A H said:

I can't see how it would take longer than a week to build and it will certainly stand out on your model shelf. Highly recommended.

You haven't met my build schedule, then...