Pull your finger out, we have a date with Jerry tonight!

Here's a simple diorama display I put together for my latest aircraft build, Tamiya's 1/72 DeHavilland Mosquito FB Mk.VI. I previously posted an RFI for "Wag's War Wagon" here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235037848-wags-war-wagon/ 

This is my first attempt at something like this, so be kind!

27328538837_d815383430_b.jpg 

41478910684_c5e4b6fc2f_b.jpg 

42199505221_dac9b6bc0c_b.jpg 

41894380892_443d3258cf_b.jpg 

27328538697_11da53fed8_b.jpg 

27328539717_5e7788f67b_b.jpg 

40392885430_69e8d539ea_z.jpg   27328537417_3cd6fa83fa_z.jpg 

40392883050_8d38bbe2e2_z.jpg   40392883570_f9d73ba4d5_z.jpg 

42199505741_5c5e685b7f_z.jpg   40392886560_625c4f64a1_z.jpg 

42199506611_1f8dd11090_b.jpg 

Thanks for viewing!

• Like 32

Billn53 ,

EXQUISITE  vignette with STUNNING detailing.

Your eye for exacting detailed work is VERY IMPRESSIVE.   :wow::yikes:

Very well thought out in all minute detailing which makes for an SUPERB Diorama.

:goodjob:   :mike:

That’s really nice that is. Great attention to detail as previous posters have said. Can I ask the origin of the grass? Is it static grass or some kind of mat?

That really is impressive! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

You ought to do a couple of the low angle photos in black and white - I bet they'd look really atmospheric.

Kind regards,

Stix 

7 hours ago, goggsy said:

That’s really nice that is. Great attention to detail as previous posters have said. Can I ask the origin of the grass? Is it static grass or some kind of mat?

It is static grass. I used two sizes/colors to avoid it appearing monotonous: 2mm "spring" green and 4mm "summer". I hadn't used static grass before and am pleased with the result. Lesson-learned, though: don't apply it anywhere near where you paint! The little fibers go everywhere and first time I airbrushed after doing the grass, I ended up sanding everything down again and re-painting.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That really is impressive! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

You ought to do a couple of the low angle photos in black and white - I bet they'd look really atmospheric.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Like  this?

27328539597_15e885570e_b.jpg 

40392886020_958291256a_b.jpg 

42199504551_c7333baa38_b.jpg 

• Like 3

Fantastic wingy thing, in a great little diorama. The static grass looks spot on to me, and the backdrop makes for very realistic photos. The B&W photos are very evocative, as Stix knew they would be.

My only criticism would be the gloss finish on the guy's uniforms. A quick spray or brush with matt varnish would cure that easily enough and would make a big difference. Otherwise I can't fault it. GREAT JOB!

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder. Believe it or not, I did brush the figures with clear matt (Vallejo, I believe) but the buggers still have a bit of a shine, as you observed. Perhaps a light dusting with pastels would help?

Edited by billn53

Ditto on Badders’ comment (a pet hobby horse of mine.).  Absolutely great work and photography - looks as if it was shot during the “golden hour” referred to by photographers for the quality of thr light.  Cheers.

Fantastic diorama very atmospheric!

One niggle, you need to get rid of the 1980's fire extinguisher! if you lose the  wheeled stand and Long extension wand and just have the bottle sat on its own it will look like a proper period piece.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

Thanks for the tip, Selwin. I had assumed the fire extinguisher was appropriate but it’s good to find someone who knows for sure. Fortunately I have a spare bottle so won’t need to disassemble the one I built, it was too much work to let go to waste!

I have a couple of other minor things I want to do, so I’m not quite finished with this diorama yet. 

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent work!

Just one minor point about the canopy: it doesn't have a panel that opens as you have it depicted. There is an emergency escape hatch in the top of the canopy, but the sides are fixed as far as I know

Toys015.jpg

• Like 2

Spoiler

Thanks for the info. If it's correct then Tamiya has made an error. In any case it's much too late for me to do anything about it, I'll just have to live with it. 

On a positive note, I've replaced the fire extinguisher with a cartless version, gotten rid of the shine on the figures' clothing, and found a more realistic tool box (complete with miniature wrenches!). I also replaced the figure standing beneath the engine with an RAF pilot figure. 

28710293428_782c3283c9_c.jpg

Edited by billn53