French Jaguars and Chaff/Flare dispensers

fingers

I'm doing the Kitty Hawk Jaguar and wish to know whether to fit the chaff/flare dispensers underneath towards the rear. The instructions do not show them being fitted as a stage but later show them on so are not really useful, box art shows none painting guide has them fitted and googling is frustratingly inconclusive. Can anyone tell me the answer?

Never seen any images of French Jaguars with the dispensers under the rear fuselage , thought that that was an RAF fix.

French use of other systems seems seem to have varied by squadron/role/time but there are a variety of different options shown in various images of French Jaguars - Phimat on outer wing pylons, conformal launchers under the wing roots and a unit which replaced the brake parachute in the tail.

Although I cannot lay my hands on the photo at the moment I also seem to recall seeing at least one image of BOZ Pods on the outer pylons as well although I am not 100% certain on that one but have it in mind that they were being carried in conjunction with the large Caiman ECM Pod.

Edited by Des
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 5:50 AM, Finn said:

Here are some Jaguars from the Gulf war, note most have the conformal dispensers but 11 YD on the left doesn't:

DIA-28-04-84-13.jpg

Jari

Cracking pic Jari.

In the kit is a British style fuel tank I wonder where I can get a French type as shown above (Rp36 I think)?

Dave

From memory the Airfix Jaguar GR.1/3 and Heller Jaguar A kits used the same basic tank parts but with different fins , the only obvious external difference being that those carried by French Jaguars had end plates on the fins which could be cut from plastic card.

According to my googling the French tank is different from the RAF ones (chunkier, blunt nose as well as the wings) although I could easily be totally wrong and would be glad to be as it would save some aggro.

Hi Dave French RP's are different from the RAF one's 

The heller french jaguar comes with only one tank, but to me the french drop tanks look like the mirage F-1 ones.

Cheers,

Joseph

• Like 2

On 5/28/2018 at 10:13 PM, beppe said:

Hi Dave French RP's are different from the RAF one's 

The heller french jaguar comes with only one tank, but to me the french drop tanks look like the mirage F-1 ones.

Cheers,

Joseph

That's what I concluded, I just need to find a source of one any ideas?

Dave

In 1/72nd, the Italeri Jaguar A/E kits have the conformal 'armpit dispensers'.

Perhaps these can be used as a pattern for your 1/48th kit. 

Cheers,

Andre

In the 1/48 Heller Kit the bodies for the Conformal Dispenser units are supplied as injection moulded parts with the actual dispenser units as decals , have a set of the bodies going spare but not sure if I still have the decals for them.

• Like 1

Just as a side note - I read that the conformal dispensers could also be used to "fire" grenades of some sort. So Id guess having both the conformal and BOZ pods fitted would be a legitimate option.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 9:47 PM, fingers said:

That's what I concluded, I just need to find a source of one any ideas?

Dave

Im pretty certain the Kitty Hawk Gripen (at least one version) and/or their Etendard comes with the weapons sprues from their F1 Mirage and includes a suitably suspicious tank that is of no use to the Gripen. Im sure I have such a tank for my French Jags, but theyre boxed up for a house move.

Might be worth setting up a wanted add for said tank as well as checking if KH have done the same with other kits and said weapons sprue. :) 

Just had a quick Google and Im pretty sure its the tank thats on the sprue with the Exocet.

Edited by RMP2