NA P-51D Mustang - 1/72 - Airfix

Hi,

This model was finished last year but I haven't taken the time to share the pictures with you.

The Airfix kit is a wonder to build. The only comment I may have is for the canopy: I don't really like the way Airfix proposes it on two parts (transparency + base).

I also encountered some issue with the paint. I applied Alclad 2 paints on a Tamiya gray primer and had the unpleasant surprise to see the paint cracking. Twice... 🤬. Third try was with Tamiya Flat Black. No issue then. If anybody has had the same experience, your comments will be welcome.

Decals are from Microscale. Seatbelts from Eduards. Gunsight from Quickboost.

Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Antoine

40383713020_2611a3ea95_b.jpg

41469835764_201f6b22d0_b.jpg

41469835174_e66b8e4c99_b.jpg

41469834254_740ca7187e_b.jpg

41469833334_9cbb282f1f_b.jpg

42144355822_0628af8267_b.jpg

• Like 37

Nice Mustang, I like your finish & colour scheme. I agree, nice kit too, even better if Airfix used better plastic. I've built a couple, had to straighten U/C legs on first one only but they've stayed straight, I have sanded a chamfer onto the insides of the canopy sides so it'll sit down over the fuselage correctly if you're modelling it open, other than that, very happily straight forward kit to build.

Steve.

Hi all,

Thank you for your comments.

On 5/18/2018 at 11:47 PM, dogsbody said:

Were the undercarriage legs straight? The ones in my kit are quite deformed and twisted

I do remember having to slightly straighten the undercarriage legs. But nothing over-worrying. As Steeve mentionned, they stayed straight in the end.

Another point I remember was the thick sprue gates. For instance, the antenna behind the canopy is a replacement (plasticard). It looks like it's an issue with all recent Airfix kit though.

21 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I have sanded a chamfer onto the insides of the canopy sides so it'll sit down over the fuselage correctly if you're modelling it open

Nice trick. I'll try to remember it for next built (I still have Tamiya and Italeri kits in my stash 🙂)

Antoine

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AntoineG said:

Nice trick. I'll try to remember it for next built

Its dead easy to do, I find a ball point or marker pen of the appoximately same size as the Mustang fuselage , wrap some fine emery paper around it & carefully rub the inside edges away until the "sit" is right. Job done & a huge improvement to the look of them to my mind. I've got the Tamiya & Italeri kits in stock too but not sure how they are for this. It would not have taken Airfix much to incorporate this chamfer into the canopy frame imho.

Steve.

• Like 2

A very nice build and I really like the 55th's unique colour scheme.  I agree, a nice kit, although I built mine with the canopy shut.  My only issues were trying to cut the radio mast and control column from the sprues.  Unfortunately they went the way of all things. 

• Like 1

Nice work, Mate!

Love the colour scheme and the demarcation between metallic and olive drab (?) finish.

It looks quite unique in that respect.

Well done.

:clap:

Thank you all for your kind comments.

I enjoyed building this kit (expect the time when the paint starts to crack; I nearly put the kit in the bin after the second time) and I'm happy you like the result.

On 5/30/2018 at 7:06 AM, kapam said:

Love the colour scheme and the demarcation between metallic and olive drab (?) finish.

The green is indeed olive drab. The red band is a decal.

The demarcation is quite easy to make: photocopy the decal sheet. Then, put masking tape over the copied red band. Cut (go a bit further than the red band on each end). Remove the masking tape form the copy: you've got your mask.

Cheers,

Antoine