How to weather Xtracolor paints?

PhantomMJI

Up to now my previous experience with Xtracolor paints has been their excellent line of custom airline colors. As expected, these are typically modeled in pristine or close to it condition. With the current availability of Xtracolor paints in the United States, I am walking on the wild side and plan to build a Vietnam era model in SEA colors using Xtracolor paints that I just picked up. I want to finish my model in a very well weathered/aged condition. Up to now, any major weathering I have done on a model has been when I have used acrylics as the base coat (such as Vallejo) followed by the different weathering mixes and oil paints compatible with acrylic base coats. As Xtracolor paints are enamel paints, what is usually used for depicting a well worn, weathered look?

I am planning on mixing in a small amount of white to lighten the color, but I also want to show staining, wear, etc. Thanks for any suggestions!

Have fun modeling

Mike

🍻

Any paint which will not dissolve the underlying enamel will work. These include other enamels (which include certain mild-solvent 'acrylics' such as Tamiya) and water-based paints. Pastels (except oil pastels) can also be used, but will need a fixative of some sort.

Edited by Space Ranger
Clarification.

I almost exclusively use Xtracolor paints and Colourcoats and I normally airbrush the straight colours them apply patches of a lightened mix, I then use very thinned Xtracolor exhaust to highlight panel lines and of course apply exhaust stains, I use the same mix to show general grubiness from mechanics boots. A very thinned dark or light earth mix works well for mud off boots and undercarriage wheels spinning back onto the undeneath of the airframe.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1