EE Lightning identity

Meatbox8

Not a modelling question but seemed appropriate to ask it here.  This month's Flypast has an advert for The Lightning Preservation Group's Lightning x 4 day and within it is a nice photo of four Lightnings lined up, including their stalwarts XR728 and XS904 plus F.3 XR718 in rather fetching 56 sqn colours.  Between XS904 and XR718 is what appear to be an F.6 in 74 sqn colours with the serial XR768. This particular aircraft was, I believe, the first F.6 to enter service but was written off after a reheat fire in 1974, the pilot ejecting successfully and the aircraft crashing in to the North Sea.  So an aircraft masquerading as another, presumably, and possibly an ex-Saudi one.  However there is nothing on the LPG's website about another F.6 or F.53.  They do, apparently own a fourth Lighting but this is another F.3, XR713. 

So can anyone tell me which F.6 this is?  

Thanks for that speedy reply - appropriately enough with the Lightning.  I wonder if it will be the one at Bruntingthorpe.    Must cost a few bob to transport it.  I suppose Cosford can't roll theirs out because they've suspended it from the ceiling (Grrrr -  a pet hate of mine).  I did some filming with the LPG a few years ago.  As great and dedicated a bunch as one could hope to meet and I got to meet Jimmy Dell as well. Now sadly passed away.  I got to sit in XR728 as well.  What fun!  All power to their collective elbow.  I'd quite like to go but it's a real hike from where I live. 

6 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I believe it lives in the South West. It's had a repaint and is due to appear at Cosford for the BoB show. IIRC it is an ex Saudi machine. It will be going back home after it's hols.

That's odd as F.53 ZF580 from Newquay is having a spruce up and repaint with GJD/HASL - but as far as I'm aware it is still at St Athan before it goes off for display Cosford.

Not doubting it might go to Brunty, but Photoshopery for now?

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 9:05 PM, 71chally said:

Just found the pic, four Lightnings, three shadows!:laugh:

Still, will be good to see the four together.

Ah ha.  Well spotted. 

19 hours ago, tweeky said:

Its heading there after the do at Cosford. It's ZF580 ex Warton Gate guard before she went to Cornwall. 

So she's ZF580 painted up to represent XR768?

By the way, are either of the LPGs F.3s runners or are they just static?  I really like those Sixties colours so would love to see them in full re-heat.

2 hours ago, tweeky said:

The sole F3 at LPG is static display (with 111 Sqn on one side and 56 on other) the Two F6's are fully functioning except the seats !!!

Interesting that they have two F.3s according to their site, XR713 and XR718, so I was really confused.  The advert shows XR718 with 56 sqn markings on port side. However, according to Thunder and Lightnings '718, while extant, lives in Darlington and is in poor shape, having had its outer wings and fin sawn off.   In addition the Thunder and Lightnings entry for '713 has a photo of it with 111 markings on the port side.  Anyway, after a bit of on-line research it seems that '713, while once bearing 111 markings all over, has since been painted was '718 in 56 markings on the port side.  So the LPG doesn't have two F.3s, just one with two identities!

• Like 1

Port (Left) side is 111 Sqn. Stbd (Right) is 56 Sqn. The Jet was disassembled and Move down from Leuchars to Bruntingthorpe then reassembled at the time its was on 111 Sqns marking (as the Sqn was there operating F3 Tornados) Last year they decided to do a "half and half" so that's why its got the 56 Sqn markings.http://www.aeroresource.co.uk/news/lightning-xr713-56-sqn-scheme/ 

THey also has the cockpit of a T5 XV382

Edited by tweeky
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, tweeky said:

Port (Left) side is 111 Sqn. Stbd (Right) is 56 Sqn. The Jet was disassembled and Move down from Leuchars to Bruntingthorpe then reassembled at the time its was on 111 Sqns marking (as the Sqn was there operating F3 Tornados) Last year they decided to do a "half and half" so that's why its got the 56 Sqn markings.http://www.aeroresource.co.uk/news/lightning-xr713-56-sqn-scheme/ 

THey also has the cockpit of a T5 XV382

Never could tell my left from my right! Looks resplendent either way.

Edited by Meatbox8

7 hours ago, junglierating said:

You have confused me or missed something....Port is always left ....and never lift the decanter from the table....else....the white rat will see!

I didn't have to worry about that drinking tins of McEwan's Export. 😃

3 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

I didn't have to worry about that drinking tins of McEwan's Export. 😃

Ah yes, my usual tipple when I used to commute between Surrey and Waterloo, many moons ago.  It seemed to be the standard beer on British Rail.  In a red, and therefore, port coloured can.  It helped get me through the interminable delays. 

• Like 1