Home Made Filler for Holes and Home Made Lenses

Zone19

I've been doing some thinking...Jesus the Pain...Took my mind of my knee!!!

Anyway, i'd just finished screaming my head off after dropping some thinners on a section of sprue!!! Which was dissolving rather rapidly....Ohhh...So I got a small jar, found an old sprue, snapped the sprue up and dropped it into the said Jar with Thinners from Lidl (See piccie below).

Thinners_zpswu3nxyfk.jpg

...'Well wiffle my old leather boots!!!' It melted the lot, as can be seen in the images...That's the one with grey liquid in it, and it can be used instead of those expensive fillers...

Sprue_zpsncndcega.jpg

I wonder (This is where the pain kicked in from thinking)...So I got an old Clear sprue (For Canopy's etc...) And look at the results...I still have to test it for filling between Canopies, but it will make nice landing lights, or lens's on an instrument panel etc...

ClearFiller5_zpsl5pygdcw.jpg

ClearFiller3_zpsqabtvbr7.jpg

ClearFiller2_zps0dhh7zwd.jpg

This works a treat!!!!!

• Like 3

I use to have a jar of sprue dissolved in liquid glue that I used for filler. I found that it shrank a lot and took a very long time to truly dry/set. That all may have been a function of the type of thinner and/or sprue. Who knows. Keep us  posted 

• Like 1

Tried it once but I found it to be very stringy, may have been down to the thinner..

Interesting idea with the clear sprues  tho, may give that a try, biggest drawback I can see is having to go to Lidls 😣

• Haha 1

Some of the best ideas are quite simple . . .

I shall keep looking in to see how the results are if you are in the mood to test.

My first thought was those old old kits with slots for windows that could be filled

• Like 1

Here are some tests I have done:

Clear:

Before:

clear_zpsen0dkg0b.jpg

After:

clear2_zpsu2wgefau.jpg

As you can see, it creates a nice dome, but my mixture is a little stringy, that means it's too thick and needs a bit more thinners.

Opaque:

Before:

Horror2_zps6wbkmkkj.jpg

After:

filler_zpsz39agz4b.jpg

So what do you guys think?

Edited by Zone19
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Thats funny that I found this story. Earlier today, I was thinking about the Tamiya extra thin cement with sprue added to create a filler, which I have never done before. But I added my thoughts to use clear sprue to see if I could use it for repairing damaged canopies or landing lights etc. Looks like the answer is in the affirmative, but using your thinner instead.

So, as a new builder who needs to save where ever I can, did you ever get to a formula that works safely and won't damage the plastic kit? Seems that it eats sprue, it would eat thru thin bits on the leading/trailing edges if one wasn't careful?

Did you perfect this formula, or abandon it in favor of another sprue eating method?

Thanks in advance,

Anthony stalker6recon D'Agostino