Well this looks like a superb kit from Airfix, I'm very impressed with the kit detail and decals. And what a subject! One of the greatest aviation marvels of all time, and one that the RAF would still be flying in its GR.9A guise if anyone who made political decisions in this country had any realistic concept of military requirements. Or didn't put balance sheets ahead of the lives of our boys and girls at the pointy end.

But enough political ranting, and back to the very early 70s, for this fantastic Harrier GR.1. I'm erring on the side of the 1 Sqn jet, although wondering about changing serial numbers as apparently both of the kit subjects were written off in accidents in the 70s. I don't suppose anyone has a list of 1 Sqn serials/codes for Harriers circa 1970?

IMG34661526630350.jpg

IMG34681526630349.jpg

IMG34671526630350.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Azgaron said:

A Harrier is always a welcome sight! :)

Håkan

I can't think of many scenarios where that isn't always true! 😂

• Like 1

It does look good doesn't it, I've just got myself one and after opening the box it nearly bumped itself to the top of the pile, I'll follow along as well.

• Like 1

I built this kit recently and it's a lovely little kit! A couple of places take a bit of TLC, and I couldn't get the front wheel well halves to join together, but I didn't try too hard either as I did mine in flight. Other than that she really fell together! Have fun :)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, shatters said:

Watch out for the pitot tube ,I snapped mine off and had to rob a spare from the GR3 kit.

Oh yeah, I did that too, and fixed it in exactly the same way! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IMG34851526724841.jpg

IMG34861526724842.jpg

I'm impressed with the ejector seat and cockpit, good detail for the size of it. The intakes and cockpit all fit together well too, as does the fuselage, though it needs a little squeezing. 

Do remember to paint inside the intakes and the engine fan before gluing it all together, otherwise it would be a very fiddly job to reach inside. No nose weight is needed for this one, which is just as well as there's no space! Unless anyone makes lead pilots. Actually that would be a good idea for Eduard or someone wouldn't it! I want commission if they do it now! 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I've sprayed the light aircraft grey under the wings before fitting them, as it would be harder to mask the fuselage once they're in place. I'll leave the tape on until after I spray the DSG upper surfaces and fuselage. 

IMG34971526928675.jpg

• Like 7

Good idea, as I had quite some trubble getting the tape between the wing and the fuselage. :)

Håkan

• Like 1

It's a really nice kit this, I highly recommend it. The fit and feel is excellent, and the surface detail looks good to me. It doesn't need much filler, just a bit on the wing joins across the fuselage ... and remember to fill in the starboard slot behind the cockpit; the GR.1 only had one aerial there.

One thing I would have liked Airfix to do would have been to allow you to build it with the flaps down.

IMG34981526979194.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 3

Dark sea grey sprayed. No issues so far. I'll handpaint the green tomorrow once the grey is properly dry, then mask  all the upper surfaces to spray the undersides. 

IMG34991526994660.jpg

• Like 4

Here she is with the green hand painted. Nice that if you don't mix up the paint it stays semi-gloss once dry. I know the very early Harriers were full on gloss, but I think allowing for scale, satin looks close enough.

IMG35011527068281.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good! :)

Satin is also what I would go for. Usually after clear cotes before and after decals my planes tend to look quite glossy, but after wash with oils and white spirit it flattens to a nice satin look.

Håkan

• Like 2

Well that took some masking! Harriers may be small but they're a rather awkward shape for sticking tape on. It should be worth it though, spray paint always looks better than hand painting, particularly my hand painting!

IMG35101527095351.jpg

Oops, just noticed the fin tip not masked yet!

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1

Boom! Straight lines! Love it.

And what better way to spend a sunny day than working on a Harrier, listening to the first Test match of the summer. The crack of leather on willow, gentle banter and er, the smell of Tamiya acrylic ...

IMG35121527154821.jpg

• Like 6

Does anyone know how the quality of the old Airfix Harrier GR.3 compares to the new tool ones? I've seen one on ebay for about £5, less than half the price of the new tool - but is it rubbish? Or could it be made into a Harrier as good as the new tool one if you're not a rivet counter?

Edited by Lord Riot

On 5/22/2018 at 3:15 PM, Lord Riot said:

Dark sea grey sprayed. No issues so far. I'll handpaint the green tomorrow once the grey is properly dry, then mask  all the upper surfaces to spray the undersides. 

IMG34991526994660.jpg

OMG, take care to that da..... pitot tube !!

You dare my friend !

Very good job, look very smart !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Haha 1