Supermarine Stanraer Matchbox 1/72

Dear friends I'd like to share with you my work on this Matchbox kit. First of all my thanks to Vulcanicity for his 2017 topic who guided me through my work. A very important guide

I used his topic, the Mushroom book and the G.A.G. Cox precious (precious, my precious......) profile. He gave me the courage to face the challenge.

I post only the final result of the interiors before closing because the step by step would be only a copy and paste of Vulcanicity big work. The only difference is that I preferred to detail the bomber position using the profile. Actually I have to complete only the cockpit.

Next step will be find te desired profile. Now i'm thinking to the MB version code BN based at Stanraer but i have one doubt about the lower surface colour. On the MB box (i lose the instructions .....) it seems gray or light blue nut in the Mushroom profile it is declared as bare metal. It may be because at the beginning these planes were not painted.

If someone has some interesting profile it would be very very appreciated

IMG_20180510_195657_1.jpg

• Like 19

Lovely beginnings

You have just woken an old problem for me, sell or build?

I have one my son left behind when he discovered girls cars and the pursuit of both along with earning money

I'll watch and maybe make a decision this time

May I suggest the underside is likely as (weathered to Matt) aluminium dope?  Which could well be weathered as far as looking pale grey?  That was likely early in WW2 as the prewar finish with emergency camo on top until underneath got repainted in proper Coastal Command colours.

Prewar the RAF flying boats were painted with aluminium (silver) paints, never bare metal.  Possibly some Shorts commercial types appeared to be metal, but that was still a clear finish on top.

Cheers

Will

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Lovely beginnings

I have one my son left behind when he discovered girls cars and the pursuit of both along with earning money

I'll watch and maybe make a decision this time

I bought the kit many, many years ago on ebay with some parts broken or missing. I've searched and searched interior details. Then I saw the Vulcanicity masterpiece and decided to go. Never surrender!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, malpaso said:

May I suggest the underside is likely as (weathered to Matt) aluminium dope?  Which could well be weathered as far as looking pale grey?  That was likely early in WW2 as the prewar finish with emergency camo on top until underneath got repainted in proper Coastal Command colours.

Prewar the RAF flying boats were painted with aluminium (silver) paints, never bare metal.  Possibly some Shorts commercial types appeared to be metal, but that was still a clear finish on top.

Cheers

Will

This is also my opinion. Sorry for the "bare metal". It's due to my poor English I meant a aluminium colour. I'd like more with this mixed version the old and new era together. My question was due to the fact that I never see another one

• Like 1

If you look at the results for RAF high speed silver weathered you will see the way it faded to grey 

It's a fabulous effect which you might get if you 'mist' a light coat of Tamiya TS 80 acrylic flat clear varnish on top of a thinly brushed Vallejo Aluminium you can get that sort of faded used aluminium paintwork

Have fun

😊

After the last details and painting. Still missing pilot seat and other components and final paint adjustment. For the bomber position I tried to guess the cutaway because the place in the Hendon's Stanraer is empty. I hope it works fine.

Next step will be to find the painting instruction because in my ebay Matchbox there were the assembling instructions but no painting instructions so I'm desperately looking for them. If I do not find I'll turn to a all metal colour version.

About this topic in the Cox profile there is the remark:

finish

metal surfaces anodic (silver)

fabric surfaces silver dope

IMG_20180517_055511.jpg

IMG_20180517_055527.jpg

• Like 13

Brilliant work on the interior 👍  Great user name by the way - agile wombat, ha ha, well they can move surprisingly fast.  Fond of eating jacket sleeves.

On 5/18/2018 at 5:22 PM, perdu said:

Build it.  You know you want to :wicked:

Andrew

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2018 at 6:08 AM, le wombat agile said:

Next step will be to find the painting instruction because in my ebay Matchbox there were the assembling instructions but no painting instructions so I'm desperately looking for them. If I do not find I'll turn to a all metal colour version.

I have a Stranraer in the stash, hold on a moment. Aha, here it is. And it hasn't got any paint instructions. Eh? Is yours a 1978 boxing?

Anyway, it just happens that I have another Stranraer, just in case - its a 1983 and it does have instructions. These are just mobile phone photos, do they help? The colour letters are from the assembly instructions. I can get proper scans if necessary but it may take a few days.

2018-05-22 18.44.07

2018-05-22 18.44.21

2018-05-22 18.44.45

For the record, the instructions make the underside of the BN camo scheme (240 squadron, Stranraer July 1940-April 1941) aluminium. As Malpaso says above its very possible it was left the original (weathered) aluminium dope at first, then eventually repainted duck egg blue (also known as Sky type S) - it should have been full Temperate Sea Scheme by 1941.

Edited by TallBlondJohn
Extra info

Thank you to all.  

Andwill - I'm happy you appreciate the nickname, my wife find my character perfectly aligned with the pretty animal

TallBlondJohn -  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, you gave me just what I needed so after a short pause I can start again with my work