Airfix 1/72 Grumman Martlet Mk IV

Airfix 1/72 Grumman Martlet (Wildcat) Mk IV. This is the recent Martlet kit from Airfix, not the ancient one! It's based on their new tool F4F-4 Wildcat kit but with new cowling and a few other parts. This kit was started not long after getting it but the main landing gear struts and broken and I couldn't get a replacement part from Airfix (not the best example of customer service!). Luckily a fellow Britmodeller sent me a spare set of landing gear parts but I was also having bother getting the fuselage to fit together properly, so it was on the proverbial shelf of doom for a good while. Recently I decided to complete it and other than the problems I had, it's a nice kit and I'm glad I completed it. It's in markings from an aircraft flown off HMS Formidable, during Operation Torch, 1942. I've already built a Sea Hurricane from Op Torch and have a Swordfish from Op Torch to build.

Thanks

Mike

32676624_1841313535928138_17649354807904

32689986_1841313605928131_15170240242306

32734076_1841313689261456_53047092926312

32717618_1841313769261448_87830221568260

32863850_1841313842594774_60460625281469

• Like 26

10 minutes ago, Thud4444 said:

That looks fantastic. I had the exact same problems with mine when I built it. The paint work is exceptional. That is the kit decals right?

Thanks - they certainly are. One good thing about recent Airfix kits, is that the decals are pretty good.

thanks

Mike

• Thanks 1

Beautiful work - you'd never know it once was on the shelf of doom.

I have never seen a Martlet parked beside a Wildcat so I'm rather ignorant to the cowl differences.

The Martlet had a different (perhaps later development) engine then?

:goodjob:

• Like 1

That's rather nice Mike. As others have said, I'm glad it didn't stay on the shelf of doom and the paint work is excellent.

2 hours ago, kapam said:

I have never seen a Martlet parked beside a Wildcat so I'm rather ignorant to the cowl differences. 

This explains the various FAA Martlet/ Wildcat versions;

http://www.armouredcarriers.com/grumman-f4f-martlet-variants/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kapam said:

Beautiful work - you'd never know it once was on the shelf of doom.

:goodjob:

Thanks!

It's not so much a different engine as the US versions had different engines or engine developments in some of the different marks. I always thought for example that the Martlet Mk VI was the same thing as the F4F-4 Wildcat, just with British radios and seatbelts etc but it turns out it had other differences, like a different cowling, which is one thing on a little sprue in the Airfix kit, that isn't in the Wildcat kit.  I seem to remember a big discussion on here just before and after the kit came out, about the differences between the US Wildcats and the FAA Martlets. To be fair, I found it all a bit confusing, so I just trusted in Airfix to be fairly accurate, so built the kit OOB, (except for some seatbelts). I'm just happy that a mainstream company made a modern kit of the Martlet, as I've never made one before (I have made a US Wildcat years ago).

thanks

Mike

What a super little Martlet. Well done!

21 hours ago, kapam said:

Here's one of the best variant comparisons I've seen that untangles the Martlet/Wildcat family.

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/wildcatfaaba_1.htm

• Like 1