Ferrari 330P4, Fujimi, 1/24

Probably the best-looking sports prototype ever (though I might need to build a Gulf GT40 to sit next to it, to be fair). I was going to post up a full step by step build, but it's really not that complicated... maybe the Heller kit with the full engine would be a different story. Anyway, a few WIP shots:

330-chassis-parts.jpg

Black, Tamiya flat aluminium, and Tamiya Titanium gold.

3330-cockpit-parts-1.jpg

Interior. The previous owner of this kit had snaffled some of the seatbelt hardware, so I have some not-strictly-prototypical Eduard Sabelt harnesses on the way...

330-dash.jpg

Dash with decals: my very sharp new compass cutter was a godsend in trimming the HUGE carrier film so they'd sit in the bezels properly.

330-body-1.jpg

This is why I love the Zero Paints basecoat plus 2K Diamond Clear system so much. Straight out of the paint booth...

330-body-with-lights.jpg

Some Humbrol 33 Matt black and Molotow Chrome for the lights.

330-wheels.jpg

Wheels with (mostly) gold by Fujimi. Still got to do the tyre decals (the backwards kind I learned about on the FXX-K...)

It's a very neat kit that goes together remarkably easily, and (did I mention...?) will look awesome when done...

best,

M.

• Like 5

Thank you very much for the WIP.

Last weekend I bought this kit too.

You are right, one of the best looking prototype sportscars.

Did you use white or grey primer?

And which Zero red did you choose?

I heard Ferrari changed their type of red during the years.

If you don't mind I'll take my pizza and wine and keep on looking over your shoulder.

Best regards

Marco F.

You're welcome, Marco.

I used white primer, and the paint is Zero Rosso Corsa 300, which is the same as I used on my 250 GTO and 250LM. For some reason it looks a little more pink/purple in the pictures above than it really is... probably the Powershot doing its best to white balance a picture with no white in it! It's a very pure red in real life. Corsa 322 is slightly lighter, and Rosso Scuderia is a later, more orange colour.

best,

M.

Thanks, guys. Steady progress today:

cockpit-from-left.jpg

cockpit-from-right.jpg

The only issue so far has been that I couldn't get the dash console to fit around the central brace between the seats, so I just cut the bottom and the last switch off. Not sure what I did wrong, but evidently something wasn't right...

with-front-wheels-1.jpg

with-front-wheels-2.jpg

chassis-and-shell-2.jpg

Time to start building the back end now, I reckon...

best,

M.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

The only issue so far has been that I couldn't get the dash console to fit around the central brace between the seats, so I just cut the bottom and the last switch off. Not sure what I did wrong, but evidently something wasn't right...

The dash is looking good, I don't know how it's supposed to look so I didn't notice the cut you made. Let's hope you don't find the answer to what was wrong when fitting some other parts and you end up having to adjust them too 😄 

Hi Matt, great work indeed. Looking forward to the next steps...

I am however a bit surprised that you are using „super-shiny“ 2k varnish on this vintage type of car.

Knowing the excellent paint tutorial you posted in this forum some years ago, I would have expected you to go for Tamiya TS 8 with no clear coat, followed only by a nice polish...

Thanks, all! Tommy... you caught me! I've run out of rattlecan red, my only local supplier is out of stock, and I'm darned if I'm paying £6.50 to a courier to deliver a £4.50 can of paint now the Post Office won't carry them... 😜

best,

M.

Thanks, guys. The back end, what little of it there is, is now built:

top-down.jpg

You do wonder if somewhere out there is an "Enthusiast Model" version of the kit with full engine, body frame and suspension, because what I've got here looks a lot like the non-EM version of the Dino 246, which I also have the full detail version of. The absence of engine is kinda noticeable (but won't show when it's finished, I'm pretty sure).

tail-end-close-up.jpg

tail-end-close-up-2-with-highlights.jpg

This what you get. The silver lumps in the red circles are the tops of the wheel carriers, which are attached to... nothing. The lower end fixes to the lower suspension arms, and that's all that's supporting the rear axle. The rear springs (in the green circles) are moulded as part of the M-shaped piece which also includes the exhaust 3:1 junctions, but they don't attach to anything at the bottom, just resting against the front end of the lower suspension arm. There's a spare wheel to mount above the transmission housing, which will hide even more...

complete-chassis-with-body-1.jpg

body-with-complete-chassis.jpg

Sadly, the tyre decals haven't stood the test of time, so I have some (new) aftermarket alternatives on the way...

best,

M.

The chassis and body are pretty much done now:

chassis-finished-2.jpg

chassis-finished-1.jpg

The tire decals are from BVH, a German company. They do a sheet of multicoloured  Firestone, Goodyear and Dunlop logos. They are regular waterslide decals, so to keep them on, I applied them onto a patch of Microscale Liquid Decal film pained onto the tire (I figured that it would still be a bit flexible once dry), and then matt artists' varnish over the top once they'd set nicely.

inside-in-briefly.jpg

Then I put the two together, and discovered...

oops-more-paint-needed.jpg

That you can see the raw plastic of the inner walls through the "shoulder scoops", so out the chassis came again, and some near-as-dammit-the-same-colour gloss red was applied...

Meanwhile, finishing touches to the body are done:

bodyshell-finished-2.jpg

bodyshell-finished-1.jpg

Final assembly and decals tomorrow, I reckon...

best,

M.

• Like 2

Coming along great...

I imagine fitting the headlight glass covers onto the body is quite a tricky thing on this one?

Speaking of which, I don't know but I think maybe it's an option to colour the thin (lower) edge of the glass cover with a red Edding-type of marker?

This could help to visually "blend in" the glass parts with the body, possibly making it more similar to the original.

Do you know what I mean? 🤔

Edited by Tommy124