Wittering Victor

A conversion of the old Matchbox Victor using the Freightdog resin set.
In June 1960, the Air Ministry reduced the number of planned Victor B2s from 59 to 24. XM715 was built in the 4th and final batch of 5 airframes which included 714-718. She was assembled at Radlett as a high-level free fall nuclear bomber to carry the Yellow Sun 2 nuclear weapon. She first flew with John Allam at Radlett on 31st December 1962. After a normal Production Flight Test Schedule of 4 flights, she was ready for delivery to the RAF in March 1963. It was normal for squadron crews to go to Radlett and pick up the bombers and on 4th March 1963 she was flown to RAF Wittering and taken on charge prior to her acceptance checks. She was allocated to No 100 Squadron in May 1963.

413895430.jpg

413895427.jpg

413895426.jpg

413895425.jpg

413895428.jpg

413895429.jpg

413895424.jpg
715 remained at Wittering until 8 July 1964 when she returned to Radlett to take her turn on the Handley Page conversion programmes.

• Like 37

• 1 year later...

Ah, memories of childhood. Every year I was transported from the south coast to my grandparents in Grantham for a week of the summer holidays; it was quite a journey back in the early 60's especially in a motorbike and sidecar! There were a few things I always looked out for on route, the excavators at Corby, buses that were not green, an Air Force base in Northamptonshire surrounded by aerial farms and a glimpse in the distance as we neared Stamford, of large white aircraft on the horizon.... It was a few years later I found out they were Victors at Wittering. Great seeing that magnificent tail against a blue sky.... And of course the Bloodhounds at Woolfox lodge....

Edited by Tornadofairy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tornadofairy said:

Ah, memories of childhood. Every year I was transported from the south coast to my grandparents in Grantham for a week of the summer holidays; it was quite a journey back in the early 60's especially in a motorbike and sidecar! There were a few things I always looked out for on route, the excavators at Corby, buses that were not green, an Air Force base in Northamptonshire surrounded by aerial farms and a glimpse in the distance as we neared Stamford, of large white aircraft on the horizon.... It was a few years later I found out they were Victors at Wittering. Great seeing that magnificent tail against a blue sky.... And of course the Bloodhounds at Woolfox lodge....

I have similar memories. My mother's friend lived in Stamford and her husband was in the RAF. I didn't realise (as a child) just how many RAF bases were in the vicinity of Stamford. He actively campaigns for the RAF staff who witnessed the A-bomb tests in Australia.