Models shops in Scotland

HiPoDad

Hi, the Mrs and I are currently in sunny Scotland, yes really it's bloody hot out, and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a retail fix here in the Highlands. On Skye at the mo and moving to Gairloch next week. Tried  the world's most used search engine but keeps coming up with railway outlets or shops that have been closed for a while now. Some body help me, I can't go back with nothing ;)

Hi,

Not sure if this is too late as I've just seen your thread!  There is a shop in Dingwall that carries a decent collection of kits - I think it doubles up as an outdoor pursuits shop(fishing/shooting).  There are two model shops in Glasgow - Scott's Models and Wildcat Models with Wonderland Models over in Edinburgh. 

Hope this is of some help!

Cheers,

David

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys. Just got back after a wonderful time in the Highlands and Islands. 

Found the Dingwall sports and hobbies David during a shopping run to Inverness. Lovely friendly guy there, think he was chatting the Mrs up while I was l making difficult choices. Ended up with the 72nd Eduard spitfire quattro combo and Brisfit. Process were in the ball park and you just have  to support people who put the effort in. Highly recommended. 

• Like 2

Not sure if you're still in Scotland and, if you are, whether you'll be heading for the east coast but Space Craft Models in Broughty Ferry just outside Dundee is quite a decent shop if you're in the area although perhaps not worth making a special trip.  Broughty Ferry is a pleasant spot in its own right with an excellent beach and some nice places to eat.

• Like 1

Home now but we fancy doing the North Coast 500 next year and I suppose the road to Inverness could go through Broughty Ferry 😁 thanks for the heads up, I'll have to make a list. 

• 4 weeks later...

I can only contribute something from precisely 35 years ago, so all chances are those shops have long gone. But a confirmation to one or the other side would be interesting:

- There was a very small shop ( as I recall, something like a shop to the left and one to the right, with a common entrance more or less, where the lady opened up the toy/model section when someone came around) at Thurso. I had a look on maps recently but could not identify the area where it must have been. The model shop was tiny and lots of old kits (back then already). Got an Airfix SR.N1, the 95th Rifle and US 1776 guy, besides a „hot“ Matchbox SHar not yet available in Germany. All even cheaper with the Scotland Card.

- Another larger shop was in IIRC Finthorn, or another village on the outskirts of Kinloss. Not quite sure but I think among other things they sold garden furniture.

- If anyone kindly replies, please quote 😊