Combrig UB I Type Coastal Submarine 'UB-2' 1/350

Good afternoon.

I present to you my build of Combrig's re-boxing of U-Boat Laboratorium's UB I type coastal submarine in 1/350, painted as UB-2 (though the plaque says UB 1).

42124802132_558476aa25_k.jpg

From the kit's instruction sheet:

"UB-2 entered service on February 18, 1915 and was attached to training Kurland flotilla. An experienced sailor oberleutnant-zur-see Werner Furbringer, future high-scoring U-boot commander and 'Blue Max' winner, became her first captain.

42171014861_3f330a2a52_k.jpg

"Having successfully completed training UB-2 passed to Flandria to a first line unit. Sincethe beginning of May 1915 up to the end of December 1916 she completed 40 combat cruises and sunk 11 vessels. In January 1917 the submarine transferred to a training flotilla and served there until the end of the war."

42171012861_942a508565_k.jpg

My first resin ship kit, and was very simple to build; she's barely 3 inches long! The hull was a single piece with the other parts being the rubber assembly, rigging, railing and various other parts. And I lost the propeller. I scratch-built the masts from brass rod and some of the rigging wires with nickel wire.

42124803642_4b75b0699d_o.jpg

I used Mig Ammo Medium Grey and Citadel Abaddon Black for the paint scheme, and a Copic liner for the face. Weathering was done with an oil paint dot streaking method and Mig Ammo's Rust Oilbrusher.

42124802742_bbf9dfddc3_o.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by Kuro Nezumi
  • Like 12

Beautiful build.  I have the Micro Mir UB-1 and am confused regarding the railings on top of the conning tower.  It's shown on the box art but not included in kit.  Photos show them without railings though .. I'm confused.  But you have done an excellent job and considering it is so small really nice weathering.

BillyD

• Like 2

Cracking job Kuro, very nicely painted.

Only one slight error, the ladder on the conning tower is upside down, the extended stringer should be above the conning tower on the right, as a hand hold.

Billy D The mikromir box art railings around the conning tower were a later edition, also the T mast for the additional ariel was added later, (these you will have to scratch build to add to the Mikromir kit)

• Like 3

Thank you, gentlemen!

On 5/18/2018 at 1:27 PM, whitestar12chris said:

Only one slight error, the ladder on the conning tower is upside down, the extended stringer should be above the conning tower on the right, as a hand hold.

I wondered why it looked odd. I'll remember that for next time; I plan on getting the Mikromir kit at some point along with their other early subs.

• Like 1