1/48 Me-262 B-1a/U1 ### Finished 18-7-2018 ###

Arniec

Hi Guys, as my mistel project is going good I will start the next project. It will be the 1/48 hobby Boss Me-262 B-1a trainer, that I will convert to the nightfighter. In the kit are all the parts for this, so it should be no problem. I also have some extra's for it. These are some Aeromaster decals and the antenna's from Master.

Here are some pictures.

the box and content.

IMG_4393IMG_4395

and the master antenna's

IMG_4396

And the decals. As I have got two different sets, I will choose between them. 

IMG_4397

The choice will be between red 8 or 10.

Both were armed with the 4xMK103  nose armament. 

IMG_4399IMG_4398

The camo on the red 8 isn't correct on the Aeromaster sheet, But I will do some research. In my opinion the camo was just RLM75 over RLM76. Maybee the mottle was a little bit harder than on the other airplanes.

I will start this when the Mistel is in the painting stage.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 5

The Mottle on red 8 looks like a challenge in 1/48 . I have seen some etched masking templates for sale that may help . will try to find them . think they are on ebay 

The color painting instructions on the new revell 1/32 red 8 look to be very similar but mottles are sparser 

Wings RLM 82. front tops of engines RLM 81 and front inlet cowling black .

I may do the Revell one next if i get my act together .

I have got the mottle maskes already, so you don't need to search. I have got the Classic publications series and they give red 8 in the standard scheme of 75/76 with the mottle beeing al little bit more heavy. There are also some pictures in the book and I am still looking at it to see what it will be. 

I have also got the dragon version and the decals are for red 8,10,12. And the trouble is with the kit that it is for the one of red 9 with the two twenty milimiter canons. I have got a replacement standard nose, so I will be good. 

Good luck with your build. I have done the Trumpeter kit a decade ago as red 12. 

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

gee you snuck this one in, I've only just found it. So building a duo was enough to keep you out on mischief huh!

I like you choice, I'm tempted but I may have another project...if I have time.

I agree the colour scheme for Red 8 very very suspect! It's a museum aircraft that's been repainted and I think that's where they got this scheme from. The original photos show it to have a fairly tight small mottle of something over RLM 76, it's either just RLM75 or I'm wondering if they've added RLM66 or another grey to the mottle as well? There does appear to be to shades in the mottle and the tops of the engines are 76 with mottle??

It's an interesting build you have planned, and one to follow. I reckon the mottle is doable freehand with an airbrush.

• Like 1

I have had a look at the scheme and I think it could be RLM81 or 82 as a mottle. The patches are quite dark for RLM75. 

I don't think they used RLM66 for it. That was a paint they mainly used at the factory for the inside of the cockpit and wouldn't be ready available at geschwader nivo. I am stil undecided on this. But I have started the build and will shortly show some pictures of the progress. I will build here with everything closed.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the first progress on this kit.

These are some pictures of the cockpit and the first layer of paint.

IMG_4403IMG_4405IMG_4404IMG_4406

As the back of the instrument panel is quite visible, I decided to do some wiring in. 

first some small holes drilled

IMG_4407

then some wire in.

IMG_4409

Then it was time to put on the coat of RLM66

IMG_4411IMG_4410IMG_4412

I know it isn't much, but it is a start.

And I made a mistake. I forgot to paint the interior for the mistel .

Cheers,

• Like 3

Hi guys,

Here are some pictures after painting the cockpit.It took me a while to do this, because I was busy with four Fw-190 Nightfighters that I wanted to paint.

IMG_4415IMG_4416IMG_4417IMG_4418IMG_4423IMG_4424

And the last one is with the fuselage glued and closed.

IMG_4425

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 4

she's looking great as well.

The guy's in the back must have been short as there doesn't look like much leg room!

Actually most cockpits aren't made for us type over 6'......guess that's why I wasn't a pilot! (well that's what I tell myself :D)

• Like 1

Ok guys some more progress made. I have painted the wheelbays and engine parts before it was put together.

Here are some pictures of also the wings attached.

IMG_4429IMG_4430IMG_4431

And here with all the wing parts attached.

IMG_4433

I have also been busy with a different nightfighter project. The next pictures will show you four Fw-190's three of them are Eduard kits and one is a Tamiya one.

Here are the four together. They are a A5, A6, A7 and a A8.

IMG_4434

The A5.

IMG_4437

the A6

IMG_4438

the A7

IMG_4436

and the Tamiya A8

IMG_4435

I am building these for a nightfighter project from my SIG together with the Me-262.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 4

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I know they're off topic but wow what a nice selection you have there, I love 8's scheme! :thumbsup:

Thanxs Rich. All the schemes for them comes from the Eduard Fw-190 box. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/100942-eduard-1144-fw-190a-nachtjaeger-luftwaffe-nightfighter-legend

The Eduard kits are a pain in the A. If you want to close them, then nothing fits. 

But on to the 262. I will clean up the wings and then I will glue on the engines. At first look these are a good fit, just like the Tamiya kits.

I like these kits from Hobby Boss. They are a cheaper version than the Tamiya kit. And you get more versions, so maybee I need to invest some money to get a few more.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Thanks 1

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with Hobby Boss, I'm not impressed by their aircraft models, but their AFV's are not too bad. Fit and poor moulding I find to be the biggest issue with them.

The only small problem I had with the dit was the underwing on the fuselage, but I clamped it and it looks good now.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

• 2 weeks later...

I have made a little progress. I have put the canopy on.

IMG_4440

That needs to dry, before I can mask it of and then the fun starts with painting it.

Cheers,

• Like 3

Nice!  The canopy will be fun to mask.

I’m getting close to that stage as well but only with the gun undercoating, still have panel lines to sort out! :wall:

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Here is a update of what has been done the last few days. I have painted the model and I will give it a Klear coat today, so I can do some decals tomorrow.

Here are the pictures of the painting stage.

The masking done and ready for some paint.

IMG_4446

The RLM76 put one with some pre shading underneath.

IMG_4447

Then after some masking I put on the black.

IMG_4448

And again after some masking I put on the green for the wings I used RLM81 from Gunze for this.

IMG_4449IMG_4450

That was done yesterday morning. Then I let it dry for some hours a I put the squigle on the fuselage. This is RLM74 from Gunze.

IMG_4452IMG_4451

That is it for now. Hope to put a update on real soon.

Cheers,

• Like 3

gee that does look nice Arnold! There's some really tidy painting there.

I now may have to dig my old one out and strip her back and repaint it as well now. I seem to remember the paint job on mine was that flash!

Not much more to go on her now before she's done.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I have just finished this model. I enjoyed it very much. I think I will invest some more money in these kits. They are easy to build and have good detail. The only downside of this one is that the radar antennas are to thick, but for a next build I will use the nice set from Master. 

Here are some pictures of the rest of the build. The finished model will be in the Gallery.

Decals on

IMG_4454IMG_4455IMG_4457

And with the panel lines on and the mask removed.

IMG_4461IMG_4462IMG_4463IMG_4464IMG_4465

The underside done with the wheels and other stuff placed.

IMG_4466IMG_4467

And the finished model.

IMG_4472

Thanxs for looking.

Cheers,

• Like 5

Very nice Arnold!!!  :thumbsup: That's a lovely finish as usual, I like it very much.

I do remember that the antenna's with the model were rather think so a set of brass ones will really set it off.

Thank you for joining us, was a real pleasure as always to have you along and to follow a build of yours, I hope you have fun.

• Like 1