Tamiya P51D 1/72

Hello, so I have finished my 4th model in my life

Added tamiya p51D 1/72 scale to my collection. 

Not that good in weathering and stuff, this time tried to make metal scratches etc. 

All model was painted using brushes.

Used:

Revell acrylic - black and silver colour. Lovely paints for me as a begginer

Humbrol red - horrible paint for me as a beginner for brushing. Too thick if without thinner, poor coverage if thinned requiring a lot of  coating which ends up in being too thick anyway

Nose - humbrol 33. Horrible paint as well, but when did some "scratched metal with lot of wear and tear effect" ended up not that bad, so quite happy with the result.  

Used some random decal fix (unbranded) for decals - looks like pva glue and smells similarly, but happy with the result .

Did not apply any varnish - thought the plane is glossy enough already.

Tamiya kit:

I build airfix p51 mustang before, so this kit seems to be better - excellent fit which is very important for me as a beginner and much more detailed than airfix. However comes with a price, I paid about £14 for the kit, when airfix was about £9 with next day delivery including paints and stuff. Only few pounds difference, details are much better, however far far behind of Eduards spitfires detailing in the same scale and the price is similar (also noticed that Eduard's clear parts are MUUUUCH better quality, on the other hand I am not sure if there is any better mustang kit available in 1/72 scale + you get a really nice instrument panel instead of having decal only. 

Liked tamiya's decals, even though I believe Airfix decals are much better and eduard would be on the last place here, however Tamiya provides more of them then airfix + seat belts decal which is a very nice touch. 

Did a lot of mistakes here, like showing metal wear and tear on the rudder and just then realising that it should be fabric material look. But oh well this time :)

p51d%206_zpssdmbjhk8.jpg

p51d%205_zpseg3hj6a8.jpg

p51d%204_zpsguntpbcv.jpg

p51d%203_zpszhcrtkkk.jpg

p51d%202_zpserho6zfw.jpg

p51d_zpsbnuz7vbe.jpg

Currently building Airfix Typhoon in 1/72 scale so any critique that would help to advance is more than welcome!

• Like 16

Pretty tidy for a 4th go - I’m not very good so can’t offer much advice. Only thing I could suggest is that a little bit of filling and sanding of some of the joins e.g. radiator scoop side, wing leading edge, wing/fuselage might help

Like everybody else has said, for a 4th build, you should be proud of it!

Not much to say, except keep building! Practice makes perfect...

Funny you should have finished this kit, just when I have resumed working on my own kit that has been languishing for far too long 3/4/ finished!

Great job!

JR

That's pretty good - especially for a fourth outing!

I think your bare metal finish went on particularly well.

You did justice to a very nice (and arguably somewhat pricey) kit.

Well done!

:goodjob:

That's not bad at all, Paul. The NMF is very good for brush finishing. 👍I was going to ask if you'd used a gloss black but I noticed it's Humbrol 33 matt, so I don't know why it's so shiny. That area should be matt. On your next build, perhaps consider using a varnish of your choice to adjust the gloss/matt effect and to seal the decals.

Not bad at all for your fourth build, in saying that just remember you must please yourself and build for you😎

I don't build Tamiya kits but what I can see is well done indeed 😎🤗

That's very nice. Good job on the paintwork, and I like how the open canopy sits on the fuselage in the correct way. I've made a couple of the Airfix Mustangs recently and never done the Tamiya one, but take your point about some of the detailing. 

Justin

14 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Pretty tidy for a 4th go - I’m not very good so can’t offer much advice. Only thing I could suggest is that a little bit of filling and sanding of some of the joins e.g. radiator scoop side, wing leading edge, wing/fuselage might help

Many thanks! Yeah, that is a really good advise, I am looking at it now and those "spaces" between the wings etc are quite annoying. I have never used filler yet, but need to look into getting some

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

That's not bad at all, Paul. The NMF is very good for brush finishing. 👍I was going to ask if you'd used a gloss black but I noticed it's Humbrol 33 matt, so I don't know why it's so shiny. That area should be matt. On your next build, perhaps consider using a varnish of your choice to adjust the gloss/matt effect and to seal the decals.

Thank you! humbrol 33 was matt, however it is horrible paint and left lots of brushing signs, so I polish it with a micro fibre cleaning cloth (one that comes with sunglasses) to make it look at least a bit better and by doing this I got a shiny colour :D 

1 hour ago, Bedders said:

That's very nice. Good job on the paintwork, and I like how the open canopy sits on the fuselage in the correct way. I've made a couple of the Airfix Mustangs recently and never done the Tamiya one, but take your point about some of the detailing. 

Justin

Thanks! If being honest I cannot say that Tamiya is better. I would say both are kind of even. Tamiya is more detailed, gear bay is much more detailed, panel lines, instrument panel etc and NORMAL landing gear legs (airfix ones are really crap, wonky and less detailed). However you cannot have flaps down, back wheel doors are molded - so cannot have them closed, so airfix mustangs got some benefits as well apart from being cheaper. The canopy sits the same way like on Airfix, however I noticed that it is incorrect so glued it the way it should be :)

Edited by PaulV

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

Good job on the cockpit.

Andrew

Thanks!

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Excellent work,4th build and a silver finish? I'm forty odd year's in and still run scared of them!

If being honest I found it much more difficult then RAF colours. On the other hand it was a joy since I did not use humbrol paints :DDDD So Revell acrylic and acrylic thinner of ration 50/50, 4 coats and the results are not excellent, but acceptable. First coats made me think it will end up crap and wanted to quit modelling, leave the family, quit job and go to some desert and hide, but end result was not that bad :D

• Like 1