Type W Loader - The Wendy.

Zone19

Long Time no posting...Well I'm back at the bench, mainly due to the fact I have had a replacement knee and life is very slow at the moment. But I need to keep my mind active rather than binge watching shows on TV or Netflix!!

Any way, some might remember, that I was asking about a Type W Loader, more commonly known to the Armament Fraternity as a 'Wendy' (See Below), and if there was anyone who could build one, as I have the plans, but alas no one could help.

wendy_zpsgkh7tbxr.png

This was the main work horse of the Armament Branch on RAF Squadrons, and I could find no one who had ever made one.

I spoke with David at Flightpath, who was very helpful, but not willing to create this, but put me onto Neil at Aircraft in Miniature(AIM), who bit my hand off and has already created the CAD design for this (Below) and will be selling the Wendy through Hannants, in 1/72nd and and 1/32nd scale, not 48 or 24. They will be available for pre-order soon, and as soon as I know I will pop it on here, so get an alert set up if you'd like one.

Below are some screen shots:

W4_zpsejw4b6ld.png

W2_zpsy2sav1x9.png

W3_zpsvccgbssj.png

W1_zpswlwglage.png

Cheers,

Zone

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Zone19 said:

Neil at Aircraft in Miniature(AIM), who bit my hand off and has already created the CAD design for this (Below) and will be selling the Wendy through Hannants, in 1/72nd and and 1/32nd scale, not 48...

That seems bizarre, given the amount of RAF combat types that you can get in 48th, I would have brought one or two.

• Like 3

I dunno what's wrong with type c hoists ,brute effort and my hoppo's big belly ideal for propping 30mm aden guns on ....what a team lol ...I get the barrel end and all he had to do was stick his well paid belly out a bit ..worked a treat sat under a Sea Harrier. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Hope you get a set of forks with this!

Selwyn

I Don't think you will...Would have put too much onto the price, anyway, scratch building a set of forks for you, would be a doddle :)

7 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Definitely need a set of forks with it.

This could be the start of a whole series.

MJ4 Jammer for Phantoms

V loader for Jaguars

VAP60 for current stuff

And not forgetting the type R (crank that engine over).

If we can get hold of the Original plans for them, then I can see what he would like to do....

8 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Doh. 48th would be great.

But, good luck with it regardless.

I think this is to do with price, I will double check with him, but I think it would cost about £30 just for the wendy, but I'll double check and come back to you :)

9 hours ago, junglierating said:

I dunno what's wrong with type c hoists ,brute effort and my hoppo's big belly ideal for propping 30mm aden guns on ....what a team lol ...I get the barrel end and all he had to do was stick his well paid belly out a bit ..worked a treat sat under a Sea Harrier. 

Try moving a 30mm Mauser Cannon on your own ;)

14 hours ago, 71chally said:

That seems bizarre, given the amount of RAF combat types that you can get in 48th, I would have brought one or two.

See above...I'll double check. 👍

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Zone19 said:

I Don't think you will...Would have put too much onto the price, anyway, scratch building a set of forks for you, would be a doddle :)

If we can get hold of the Original plans for them, then I can see what he would like to do....

I think this is to do with price, I will double check with him, but I think it would cost about £30 just for the wendy, but I'll double check and come back to you :)

Try moving a 30mm Mauser Cannon on your own ;)

See above...I'll double check. 👍

And I always thought the Mauser was a 27mm! 😎

I too am an exponent of the c type hoist, great bit of kit, was the best thing to use on harrier field sites. The RAF with the Wendy had a quite useful airfield powered loader.  Now the RAF  use the awful VAP 60. Far too big for working under a jet.  

Selwyn

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Selwyn said:

And I always thought the Mauser was a 27mm! 😎

Selwyn

Ohh FFS!!! Schoolboy error :( I was busy reading the 30mm Aden Gun quote.... :(

4 hours ago, Zone19 said:

Ohh FFS!!! Schoolboy error :( I was busy reading the 30mm Aden Gun quote.... :(

You said it schoolboy LMAO😂

Took the words right out of my mouth Selwyn....wonder what they are goin' to use on the super duper carriers...if its anything like the automatic hypermatic all singin' dancin' weapon lift system ..well should have gone to Amazon ....for a case study of fast moving consumer goods ...although technically the bombheads are not the consumers!  

Edited by junglierating
  • Haha 1

I never used my stomach to lift an Aden, which was probably why my plums would get squished every other install. Once I got my right foot onto the rear of the cannon it was fine, but you still had to trust the guy pulling down on the barrel.

The c type was good enough for any lift.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shar2 said:

I never used my stomach to lift an Aden, which was probably why my plums would get squished every other install. Once I got my right foot onto the rear of the cannon it was fine, but you still had to trust the guy pulling down on the barrel.

I must know you and you know who the fat bombhead is🤔

3 hours ago, Shar2 said:

I  too used the boots to lift the cradle,  but found it was always a fiddle getting the two wiggly bolts through the rear mounting holes and getting the nuts on.  Once some stupid "Person" (being polite here) on the barrel end dropped the back of the gun on my chest and cracked a rib. It was a shame about his nose but he deserved it! He also had to explain to the boss about the dent in the under fuselage skin made by the barrel muzzle.

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Clarification on scale - we are doing 1:72 and 1:48 scales. These are the scales we have agreed with Hannants for GSE as sales in the other scales do  not justify tooling costs.

Any information on forks would be appreciated.

Edited by tnuag
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, tnuag said:

Clarification on scale - we are doing 1:72 and 1:48 scales. These are the scales we have agreed with Hannants for GSE as sales in the other scales do  not justify tooling costs.

Any information on forks would be appreciated.

Thanks for the Clarification Neil :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The masters have arrived and this is the 1:48 body. The wheels have come out nicely and I am pleased with the floor tread pattern on the body. CAD is useful !

Wendy-01.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Currently in suspended animation because I have been too busy with DC-7, Canadair and Viscount conversions, but it is not forgotten.

The plan is only to do it in 1:72 and 1:48 as sales in the other scales do not justify the tooling costs.

I hope the Canadair Argus will be out in about a month, and the next two are intended to be the Mandator and then the DH86 Express, but things can change !!!!!

Edited by tnuag
spelling correction