1/72 Revell Dambusters Lancaster

Hi all

Here's my latest completion , the Revell Dambusters Lancaster in 1/72 .  It sat on the shelf of doom for ages , but I decided I needed to get it finished in time for the 75th anniversary .  It's virtually OOB , apart from cutting & shimming the outer wing panels to increase the dihedral .  Paint is Gunze's Mr Color , which is my new favourite paint .  Decals are mostly from the kit , but the roundels were out of register so I had to use a set from an old Aeromaster sheet .  Sorry the pictures leave a little to be desired , but they were taken on my desk at work & the camera wasn't the best . 

Lancaster_2.jpg

Lancaster_1.jpg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

A terrific looking 'Dambuster' and congratulations on posting it on the 75th anniversary.  Looks like a great paint finish.

What a shame the Peter Jackson film never materialised.  I believe the Richard Todd/Michael Redgrave film has been restored and is doing the rounds at the moment..  Would be great to see it in the cinema.   I must say I do like the idea of an employer who lets you build model kits at work! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

I must say I do like the idea of an employer who lets you build model kits at work! 

Slight misunderstanding there - it wasn't built at work , it was just photographed there since it's sitting on my desk .  That said , I have built models at work during lunchtime when I have time .

4 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

What a shame the Peter Jackson film never materialised.  I believe the Richard Todd/Michael Redgrave film has been restored and is doing the rounds at the moment..  Would be great to see it in the cinema.   I must say I do like the idea of an employer who lets you build model kits at work! 

Yes it's a disappointment. But then maybe just as well. The original film had that wartime look and feel (obviously, as it was only 12 years after the event) that they just can't recreate nowadays. And Tom Hollander is far too old to play Gibson.

Anyway, lovely model and a fine tribute.

16 minutes ago, IanC said:

Yes it's a disappointment. But then maybe just as well. The original film had that wartime look and feel (obviously, as it was only 12 years after the event) that they just can't recreate nowadays. And Tom Hollander is far too old to play Gibson.

Anyway, lovely model and a fine tribute.

Yes, I did have my concerns about it too.  Was Tom Hollander slated to play Gibson?  An odd choice.  I like him a lot but consider him more a comedy actor. Plus, as you say, he's too old to play Gibson. Still, at least it wasn't Tom Cruise or, worse still, Mel Gibson! I believe he had an interest in playing the role at one stage.  I was more concerned about 'Hollywood' making a version with all that that would entail.  Still smarting about U-571.  I hoped that at least Jackson, with British parentage, of the Commonwealth and with a love of aviation, would have given it a more of the treatment it deserved.  I recently saw a trailer for 'Hurricane' about 303 (Polish) squadron.  It appeared the CO of the unit was an American, which I'm sure would be a surprise for Sqn Ldr Kellett's family.  I don't think I'll bother.  It looked like a shouty, CGI c**pfest, especially since 'Dunkirk' which, although flawed in my opinion, had some terrific 'real' aviation scenes.

Anyway, back on topic I've never tried Gunze paints.  Are they any good for brush painting do you know?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Was Tom Hollander slated to play Gibson?  An odd choice. 

Maybe they just said 'Gibson was short - which actors are short?'

• Like 1

Very nice Lanc - I'm jealous as your desk looks considerably bigger than mine!

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

Still smarting about U-571

Yes I can just imagine in the new film the German AA gunners on the dams train their searchlights into the dark and see.........the Memphis Belle heading their way!!

Pat

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Anyway, back on topic I've never tried Gunze paints.  Are they any good for brush painting do you know?

Mr Color is an acrylic lacquer similar to Halfords & Tamiya spray cans , so I suspect it's too aggressive & too quick-drying for brush painting , though to be fair I've not actually tried it .

1 hour ago, rs2man said:

Mr Color is an acrylic lacquer similar to Halfords & Tamiya spray cans , so I suspect it's too aggressive & too quick-drying for brush painting , though to be fair I've not actually tried it .

Thanks.  I might be tempted to use them with my airbrush.  I haven't had much success with it so far so maybe a change of paint might help.

15 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Hollywood couldn't even do Pearl Harbor right. Their own frikkin' history and they screwed it up!

Chris

Too right.  A terrible, cliche' ridden film in every way although I must single out the scene where they play chicken with a Zero. Just ridiculous.  And to think what a great film Tora Tora Tora is. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, IanC said:

Maybe they just said 'Gibson was short - which actors are short?'

How about Dan Radcliffe?  A bit too skinny, maybe, but the right height and age.

Nice one, really clean. G-George is my favourite kite and the first one I built on returning to the hobby last year.  (My George doesn't look as nice as yours though!)