Conqueror Mk1

As mentioned in my Mk2 build thread I have restarted this project after getting a bit bogged down with the Mk2. The beginnings are recorded here <https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234987652-conqueror-mk1-mk2/&amp;tab=comments#comment-2085276>

Restarted by tackling the gun first. I had an Aber Mk2 barrel which is intended for the Dragon kit and has the fume extractor so I made an adaptor to fit the resin turret, then turned a sleeve to replace the fume extractor. I next made the styrene track guard extensions at front and rear to replace the overly thick and poorly cast AA items. The gun crutch had to be extended slightly to meet the barrel hence the aluminium tube visible in the pics.

e7Is4jc.jpg

The Cromwell upper bazooka plates are too short for the AA hull, and the AA plates are cast with the top edge against the pour block, which on my example resulted in a top edge that was 50:50 air and resin and impossible to make into a nice clean edge. At first considered scratching a set as I had on the Mk2 but then decided I could rescue the AA parts by cutting off the top edge and mounting the plates onto a 10 thou styrene backing. I have only fitted the top run to the right side as I plan for the completed model to not have the top plates fitted on the left side. The support structure on the right is non-scale as it cant be seen, but I will have to cobble together a mix of Cromwell resin and scratchbuilt styrene on the left as it will be visible. Both sides will have the lower bazooka plates fitted which I will have to make from styrene as per the Mk2.  

zufjvp1.jpg

Hull detailing is a mix of Cromwell resin and scratchbuilt parts. The Cromwell parts are generally very well cast and require little clean up. The only parts that are unusable are the headlight brush guards which are not a suitable candidate for resin casting anyway. The turret has a small area of air bubbles at the back, visible in the photos as red splotches where I have applied some filler. 

6JunRZO.jpg

Modified the gun sight to represent the early Mk1 version, and have only to create a GPMG mount to complete the fire control turret. So this one is coming along well at present - I will have to tackle some more resin stuff sooner or later but at the moment I have plenty of styrene and metal parts to make which should keep me in my happy place.

lDH7cK6.jpg

• Like 8

Hi,

both your Conquerors are challenging project, and considering the poor quality of the base kits you got, the intermediate result is very nicely done !!

If you keep the momentum, the end result will be excellent, for sure 😉 ... do you plan to use the MasterClub metal tracks ? I had the opportunity to use some on one of my Chieftains projects, they are really nice and, in my opinion, easy to assemble (for independant links tracks, of course).

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne

15 hours ago, Etienne said:

Hi,

both your Conquerors are challenging project, and considering the poor quality of the base kits you got, the intermediate result is very nicely done !!

If you keep the momentum, the end result will be excellent, for sure 😉 ... do you plan to use the MasterClub metal tracks ? I had the opportunity to use some on one of my Chieftains projects, they are really nice and, in my opinion, easy to assemble (for independant links tracks, of course).

Cheers, E

Thanks. I am using the Cromwell tracks. I only reason I bought the Cromwell kit was to get the tracks - there were no aftermarket tracks at that time. The idea to use the kit and the spare AA upper hull to make a Mk1 only came later when I was surveying the large pile of expensive resin I had accrued.

• 1 year later...

After completing the build of my Gas turbine Conqueror last May I still have not got round to painting it and have also done no modelling. Decided I better drag out my stalled Conqueror gun tanks and see if I can make some progress on one or other of them before I abandon modelling altogether and flog everything off. 

The Mk2 still seems to present the most problems so I have been poking the Mk1. The Amusing Hobby Mk1 that provided the donor for the Gas Turbine build has also provided some parts for this build, and the figures are Miniart. Threw all the bits that I have so far together for a photo shoot to try to motivate me. As you can see I am working on a track bashing session as it is a new theme for me and will be something different in the display cabinet if it ever gets finished!

3x8X4bU.jpg

OUJfqWR.jpg

kR1uuGu.jpg

xbrfP7L.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

Please don't give up on modelling! This looks amazing even in this state. 

Totally agree this is a superb project and look forward to seeing it completed

Roger

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Think I finally beat the side skirts into submission. The right side will have both upper and lower bazooka plates mounted so no need to make accurate bracketry. However only the lower plate is to fitted on the left so a reasonable representation of the brackets is necessary. I used the Cromwell Models resin hull brackets, and their extension pieces that support the lower edge of the top plates. That left me needing to make the upper plate hangars from styrene and getting it all joined together. The resin brackets are a bit fragile so I felt the need for some reinforcing. This I achieved by running a length of brass rod along the brackets to support them, and to help with alignment while glueing. 

vsUv22x.jpg

230E9zh.jpg

O5MpCtX.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

After painting the Gas Turbine Conqueror I took another look at this beast. I was not too happy with the right upper bazooka plate as I had made it a bit too short. I did my usual three step assessment of the situation; - can I ignore it, can I fix it easily, or do I have to do things properly? Inevitably I found myself taking the third option, which meant I had to remove the bazooka plate.

I tend to assemble models with the intention that they remain assembled so dismantling was not a five minute job. I then had to build up replacement parts and fit them. To 'fudge' the undersize upper plate I had made an oversize lower plate so that also had to be reworked. 

I then resumed the build! Using the Amusing Hobby GPMG I carefully cut away the gun so I was left just with the mount, which I fitted to the Cromwell bracket, and enhanced with some scratch built details and the Amusing Hobby PE ammo box holder. I also used the AH drivers hatch as it was a better shape than the Cromwell one. The AH kit also provided the knob for the hatch lock, and the open stay.

Not pictured is another work in progress, a semi-scale drivers seat to add some 'fuss' to the compartment as the hatch is open. So it looks like I might be on a roll now!

Vlkde2v.jpg

ZHbdtTf.jpg

yuiasxO.jpg

vDv0QAb.jpg

• Like 8

Continuing my habit of one step forward and two back I tackled the right hand tracks. The original plan was to use the Cromwell Model resin length and link tracks, and to this end I started bending the length to suit and cleaning up the links. Then it occurred to me that I should check out how much plastic track I had left over from the Amusing Hobby kit that had formed the basis of my Gas Turbine build. There was plenty available so I decided to use that in preference to the resin which I do not like working with. The fact that there are now different tracks on each side does not really matter as the resin track is stretched out on the base and therefore only the inner is visible, and you cant really see both tracks at the same time anyway! Well thats my story.

kUC7W3U.jpg

As mentioned in my last post I had also belatedly decided to make a drivers seat. Simple way would have been to do it during the hull build! Because the turret will be reversed the view of the drivers compartment will be quite limited but I felt just leaving a black hole would a bit lazy. So I now have a little bit of 'clutter' that can be installed after painting.

bH3crAJ.jpg

Edited by Kiwidave4
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

The basic build stage is finished! Been a bit uphill as the nearer to completion the more bits I discovered that needed to be made or modified, so my 'to do' list got longer as it got shorter!

Anyway we got there and I have hung all the bits together for a few pics before tackling the painting and base work.

DHJM5DP.jpg

RNV8jnB.jpg

lPfGL9s.jpg

6BGPxSV.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Kiwidave4 said:

there were times when I seriously doubted that this day would come!

We've all had builds like that. That's what the shelf of doom was invented for. Glad you stuck with it Dave as it looks the business.

John.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

We've all had builds like that. That's what the shelf of doom was invented for. Glad you stuck with it Dave as it looks the business.

John.

What John said - very nice work looking forward to seeing it in paint

Stay safe            Roger

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have been working on painting the beast for the last few weeks. I dont like to rush painting in order to make sure each coat cures, so after getting a primer undercoat on I waited a week or so before applying the topcoat. At this point I stuffed up big time. I have used both Humbrol 75 and Tamiya XF-61 in the past but never been convinced about the colour, plus they are both flat when DBG should be gloss. 

We were still in lockdown so I had to use what I had and decided to try Humbrol 195. This is actually much too green so while I was waiting for it to cure thoroughly I tried mixing a my own version of DBG. The combination of those two actions and the need to wait for a suitable weather day so I could paint in my garage added a bit of a delay to proceedings.

However, I finally got an acceptable - to me - topcoat on and have been doing final assembly and detail painting in preparation for some weathering. Added the decals this morning and thought i might just take a quick pic or two to share. The weather is rubbish here today so the phone was struggling to cope with the lighting levels but you can get an idea of progress anyway!

vqjyydy.jpg

rEKHcxN.jpg

US87hOq.jpg

LklJ6g1.jpg

xYIjz9V.jpg

• Like 6