1/72nd Airfix Tomahawk Mk.IIb, 73 Sqn, Egypt 1941,....FINISHED!

Hiya Folks,

A nice quick model in a gorgeous scheme,.... what is there not to like about this kit! The box art is fantastic;

42159068121_1bfe3ea814_b.jpgp40-a01003-mid by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And here too,....

40352090410_805088a544_b.jpgairfix-a01003a-1-72-curtiss-tomahawk-mk by Tony OToole, on Flickr

The real aeroplane,.... personally I`m not sure whether the squadron flash should be blue/yellow/blue rather than the variations of blue featured on the decals,.... but I`ll trust there research this time as it does look very nice;

40352090310_cbb591c985_b.jpgCurtiss-Tomahawk-IIB-RAF-73Sqn-AK490-Wykeham-Barnes-Egypt-1941-01 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Here is the full colour diagram,...I`m not sure about the spinner being Sky,..... it is hard to see in the photo above, but the Tomahawk`s flon by 3 Sqn RAAF at the same time in the Temperate Land Scheme had dark coloured spinners, probably Dark Green;

42159068301_7e54da8c9d_b.jpgback_4 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And decal sheet;

27287776127_c3e1d6dffb_b.jpgairfixa01003areviewjm_4 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Here is the model ready to built,..... I got rather impatient and have already painted the interior,.... I hope this is OK?

42112430452_23c73c85e2_k.jpgDSCF3405 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

here are the pre painted fuselage interiors, I chose Humbrol 75 Bronze Green to replicate Curtiss Green;

42112429722_c2b2b34f50_k.jpgDSCF3407_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

I was just losing daylight by this stage,..... but here the wings have been assembled along with the fuselage halves and the cockpit is mounted un top of the wings, as per the original aeroplane;

40351964950_e9ff5799a7_k.jpgDSCF3414_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 9

13 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

:popcorn:

Looks like a familiar build Tony 😁

Haha,.... yes I`ve built a few now,.... here is my last one!

42113263912_bc99a26e4d_k.jpgDSCF2492 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 7

Good God, Man! Slow down! You've started and finished more kits than I can keep track of. After almost 4 months, I'm barely into my Hurricane and you've started at least 3 in the last week and have finished how many more.

Please, cool yer jets! I think I'm having palpitations.

Chris

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

We kinda share the same traits here Tony - we both like/love starting new kits however the major difference is that you seem to end up finishing yours!! 

The MTO is certainly you’re strong suit and it’s a pleasure to see all these great builds come to life. Looking forward to your 2018 yearbook, it should be a bumper thread. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 4

10 hours ago, dogsbody said:

you've started at least 3 in the last week and have finished how many more.

Theres nothing wrong with the O’Toole Aircraft Manufactuing corporation. 😉 I can only wish for speed like that. And a stash capable of sustaining that kind of build rate. 👍

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Cheers Fella`s,..... sorry if I`ve got a bit carried away with this GB,..... but the MTO is just one of my favourite subjects and I have so many projects lined up already that I see the GB as a good opportunity to actually get them built!! I did have some more lined up in case I have time,.... but I`ll sit on them for now.

Right,.... more progress on the Tomahawk,... the tailplanes have been added to the fuselage and the wings and fuselage are ready to be joined;

41453042794_47627bc5e2_k.jpgDSCF3416 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And here is the main airframe joined;

41453040454_ea41635336_k.jpgDSCF3424_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Time to sand the model and then get some paint onto it,

Cheers,

Tony 

• Like 4

Hiya Folks,.... after a bit of clean up and sanding I`ve added the first coat of paint;

Dark Earth on top;

40384791420_82520b524a_k.jpgDSCF3445 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And a Pale Blue below to represent the Curtiss applied Sky Blue,.... although the next coat may be a little bluer;

41470807634_d97edd2fa8_k.jpgDSCF3446 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 7

So tempted to start mine after seeing a few of these great Tomahawks within this GB, but I need to get through my Spits in the 100th RAF GB first. Strange at it is, I do like to model in pairs and have delusional thoughts of building two 3 (RAAF) squadron P-40's in both the TLS and later Desert repainted scheme before this GB is out. Anyway - back to your supurb work, this is looking lovely (as usual) and won't be long before its standing proud and in the gallery. 

Cherrs.. Dave 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

So tempted to start mine after seeing a few of these great Tomahawks within this GB, but I need to get through my Spits in the 100th RAF GB first. Strange at it is, I do like to model in pairs and have delusional thoughts of building two 3 (RAAF) squadron P-40's in both the TLS and later Desert repainted scheme befor this GB is out. Anyway - back to your supurb work, this is looking lovely (as usual) and won't be long before its standing proud and in the gallery. 

Cherrs.. Dave 

Cheers Dave,.... A pair of 3 Sqn aircraft in those schemes would look superb mate,

Tony

• Like 1

That’s a nice flowing camo pattern that you’ve managed to hand paint on this Tomahawk and judging by the reference pic amazingly accurate. The best part about being at opposite timezones is that you upload your posts just as I’m getting up and having my first cuppa - makes for better reading that the daily papers I reckon!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/21/2018 at 10:18 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s a nice flowing camo pattern that you’ve managed to hand paint on this Tomahawk and judging by the reference pic amazingly accurate. The best part about being at opposite timezones is that you upload your posts just as I’m getting up and having my first cuppa - makes for better reading that the daily papers I reckon!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave,...... well here is the latest update!

I`ve got the kit decals on;

41425296125_e2a6e52fb1_k.jpgDSCF3546 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41425298855_61a216ef4b_z.jpgDSCF3539 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 11

Those decals really suit this kit and this little beauty is looking exceptionally good. Seems like in a few days all these MTO builds will be finished and gallery-ied. I look forward to seeing them displayed, however will miss the regular updates and WIP photos. No doubt at your prolific pace you’ll soon bless us with some other exciting modelling theme for all of us to marvel at! 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Those decals really suit this kit and this little beauty is looking exceptionally good. Seems like in a few days all these MTO builds will be finished and gallery-ied. I look forward to seeing them displayed, however will miss the regular updates and WIP photos. No doubt at your prolific pace you’ll soon bless us with some other exciting modelling theme for all of us to marvel at! 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Hiya Dave,.... no I might just collapse! The Greek Spit and the decal problems have really knocked the wind from my sails,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Looking really nice Tony, I can see me NEEDING one of these boxings too, it's a beaut look.

Steve.

Agree Steve, actually Tony's fantastic contribution to this GB has seen me recently add a Ju52 (although it was hard to resist at just $5), an Airfix Blenheim IV and this particular Tomahawk.  

So I think I'm still keeping up with my ratio of 'Buy 5 - Build 1' !!

Cheers.. Dave

• Haha 3

I normally like my P-40s in Soviet markings (I have three), but after seeing this build, I may need to buy this kit and do it as per instructions (that would be a change for me). Great job, Tony!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Superb work Tony,I,ve been feeling sorry for myself all day as my airbrush is Kaput,then I get this reminder what can be achieved with the 

brush!

• Like 2