Seafire F.46 - RNAS Lossiemouth Station Flight, 1948
Scratch conversion of Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk.22 - Model Alliance Markings

I'm still immobile and broken at this end, so modelling on a coffee table next to my sofa whilst my bones heal!  However, that's no excuse, so this month I have tried something a little more adventurous.  The Seafire 46 is essentially a navalised Spit 22, so a relatively easy conversion in this scale and this is exactly what Airfix did with their 1/48 kit (same markings too!).

wp358f1cce_05_06.jpg

The contra-rotating prop was scratched up from the kit spinner, suitably extended and thinned by a blob of Milliput, plus a spare blade from another kit.  Shaping it, then drilling holes for the blades was a fairly major challenge under the circumstances, so it is a little rough, but I'm pleased to have managed at all.  Likewise, the tail-hook will require some more work when I am back on my feet again and can fabricate an actual hook.  Decals come from a Model Alliance set for the Lossie CO (Capt Caspar John RN)'s personal mount, which was, by all accounts, maintained to gleaming Captain's rounds standard. 

wp69d939d3_05_06.jpg

Brush painted as always, with Humbrol Enamels, a light oily wash and Klear topcoats (and I went for a half black/half green cockpit option FWIW).

wp881662a0_05_06.jpg

wpfa9eef5c_05_06.jpg

With thanks to Mrs T, who is doing a lot of the basics for me at the moment, but happily did a lot of extra fetching and carrying for me from my model room to my coffee table!

FredT :)

• Like 39

Looks great.

The Special Hobby Seafires and, I think, Spitfires have a shed-load of spares including a contra-prop and tail-hook so it might be worth putting a post in the wanted section.

Beautifully done, and you did it while immobilized with broken bones?! Even more impressive!

I can barely function when I have a slight head cold.

• 2 months later...