Early Bird...1/48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I RAF

On 6/10/2018 at 5:12 PM, Reini78 said:

ready for preshading

DSC_0005 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

DSC_0006 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

curious how good the legs will hold..

42706530381_6df4367d73_b.jpgDSC_0007 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

That's the first time I've seen that join up close... What a terrible piece of engineering 

I think, if I ever build this kit I'll cut the 1/2 of that piece in the wing, join it to the leg and insert a brass pin

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Calum said:

That's the first time I've seen that join up close... What a terrible piece of engineering 

I think, if I ever build this kit I'll cut the 1/2 of that piece in the wing, join it to the leg and insert a brass pin

The leg is very thin, gotta pay attention so that the plastic doesn´t break when drilling.

This will be my dad´s first and last Airfix Spitfire. The kit couldn´t convince him.

Looking forward to seeing the finished model.  Great work so far.  I have the newer MkV from Airfix and I have to say it looks very nice indeed and think now I would buy the Airfix kits over a Tamiya Spitfire.   

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1

How did you find the AML masks? I just used them on a 1/48 Defiant and found the masks around the fuselage to be quite fiddly. They also wouldn't fit into panel lines or around bumps

2 hours ago, fubar57 said:

How did you find the AML masks? I just used them on a 1/48 Defiant and found the masks around the fuselage to be quite fiddly. They also wouldn't fit into panel lines or around bumps

They worked ok, better than expected. My dad used them twice and the adhesion was still good.

On the fuselage it took some time to get them right so that the camo pattern fitted together. Sometimes my dad had to press the masks down several times in curvy areas to make them stick properly. All in all my dad had a good experience with them.

Thanks for the quick reply and I agree, they worked better than expected. What I did to prevent bleed under was to 1) thin the paint to 50/50, 2) drop the air pressure to about 15psi, 3) start to spray on the mask and aim toward the center of the section I was painting, running the airbrush along the whole mask, 4) finish off the section by filling in the center

Edited by fubar57
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

My dad is showing his age..😄 he strictly followed the Airfix instructions mounted the reflex gunsight and the front canopy (thankfully only with Micro Klear). He completely forgot about the ring gunsight.

But 4 eyes see more than 2, so I pointed out his mistake and he luckily could remove windshield and wrong gunsight.

Used a PE ring gunsight from a Master Model P-40 set.

42827680924_fb3c0288a0_b.jpgDSC_0001 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

29673719708_e7f6933501_b.jpgDSC_0002 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

42827679484_1a1fca5fd4_b.jpgDSC_0004 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

29673717268_95164cb314_b.jpgDSC_0005 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

42640026395_cef23f38e5_b.jpgDSC_0007 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

• Like 3