Tyrannosaurus Rex & Triceratops - Pegasus Hobbies

I felt it high time I got on and had a go at building these 2 lovely kits from Pegasus Hobbies; the Triceratops cow and Tyrannosaurus Rex posed stood pinning down a slain Triceratops calf.

The kits are complimentary to one another and are ideally suited to be built together or just as single display pieces. Cast in 100% solid vinyl plastic, both kits are very weighty and substantial. A lot of hot water treatment and dremeling was undertaken to get the various pieces fitted. Even after a lot of joint head shaving and heat treatments, the fits were so tight that virtually no glue was needed but I used long arm clamps overnight to keep constant pressure to the joint surfaces. Minimal filler was required at the time of assembly but I admit now to having to add a fair bit of Mr Surfacer 500 on top of the joint seam lines.

You get a lot of dinosaur for your money from Pegasus and old Rexy is about 2 foot long when it's tail is inserted. I hope these kits give me as much pleasure as the Pegasus Hobbies Great White Shark did which I have just completed and is up on the forum elsewhere.

DSCF7715

DSCF7723

DSCF7716

DSCF7719

DSCF7720

DSCF7721

DSCF7722

The slain Triceratops calf with chest foot print from old Rexy

DSCF7717

DSCF7718

• Like 4

Didnt realise they were solid,or that big for that matter,Will watch with interest,I see they have the forearms in the accepted(for now) position.

Awesome! I've got the T-Rex and Spinosaurus at the bottom of a pile somewhere, this makes me want to dig them out. It'd be an authentic paleontological experience :)

From memory dry-fitting the bits, the Spino had the best fit of them all and is absolutely massive.

Will

That T-Rex looks so much better than the ancient and ugly Tamiya equivalent! About two years ago my daughter and I built the Tamiya one and she hasn’t touched a kitset since. 🙁

Great to see another brand of Dino kit. T- Rex looks well detailed, not sure I'm  as keen on the Triceratops but will reserve judgement until I see it built... :popcorn:

A good number of hours have been spent going around in circles trying to get the seam lines filled so that they are not so visible - I have also managed to decide how to display the trio and have made a few modifications to the T-Rex and Triceratops calf which I will point out below. What a great pair of models these have turned out to be

TAIL ON

DSCF7736

THE 3 FIGURES

DSCF7743

TRICERATOPS COW

DSCF7745

HER BEAK

DSCF7747

DSCF7744

DSCF7746

COW ASSEMBLED

DSCF7751

THE DISPLAY

The Triceratops cow is posed with her head down and looks a bit dull considering her calf has just been struck down and is being stood on by old Rexy so I decided to use pose her climbing upfil to defend her calf while taking on old Rexy dino to dino style. Using foam, plaster and resin, I came up with the basic base from which I can add rocks and other bits of foliage onto to make this a true classic fight scene

DSCF7758

DSCF7754

DSCF7755

DSCF7757

DSCF7759

resin icing added to the cake base

DSCF7774

THE CALF

The calf is pictured to appear dead on the box art and certainly by the cast. I wanted to make mine look alive but pinned down - perhaps in the process of being rescued by the Cow so I cut the neck and bent it upwards so that the calf only looks to be pinned down but struggling to escape.

DSCF7768

DSCF7772

DSCF7773

The new neck pose

DSCF7771

REXY'S MOUTH

Rexy's tongue was not right for me either so I heated and twisted it so that it will look like it is flicking sideways out of the opened jaws.

DSCF7763

DSCF7762

Now ready for painting, and with their feet pinned for fixing on and off the diorama base, this is where the project stands today

DSCF7775

• Like 15

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:06 PM, Carts said:

Old school Dino Fight,Love it.

oh yes, well and truly inspired by my first Dino book back in 1971 - The How and Wonder Book of Dinosaurs and this classic sketch

Fight

• Like 4

I had that book,the "Art" was something else :) I still shudder at the man like Allosaurus,that was one creepy looking critter!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:56 AM, Will Vale said:

Awesome! I've got the T-Rex and Spinosaurus at the bottom of a pile somewhere, this makes me want to dig them out. It'd be an authentic paleontological experience :)

From memory dry-fitting the bits, the Spino had the best fit of them all and is absolutely massive.

Will

HI Will

My Spino is going together as a side line project while Rexy is drying - you are right, Spino's joints are 100% better and leave little evidence of seam lines - the joins are made along the contours and texture of the skin

• Like 1

Mr Rex is complete, along with the fallen Triceratops fallen, while the base oil colours on the Triceratops cow continues to slowly dry prior to me being able to start the body detailing.

DSCF7843

DSCF7847

DSCF7853

DSCF7854

DSCF7856

while the work on the Triceratops cow continues...

DSCF7818

thanks for following and check out the Pegasus Hobbies Spinosaurus I have on the forum too

John

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:58 PM, fatfingers said:

Aye up John.

That Rex is fantastic and the tongue really gives it extra character.

Regards,

Steve 

cheers Steve - I discovered what a touch of Tamiya clear red can do!

• Like 1

I have taken Triceratops back to basics for a second attempt paint job using Alcad II paints

here are the 2 base coats - she needs a dust down before going any further

DSCF7909

DSCF7910

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Triceratops number 1 is almost done - should have photos soon. Triceratops number 2 has had to be modified - tail and head poses are being altered - all will become clear later on in the build

here I am so far

DSCF7915

DSCF7918DSCF7919

DSCF7925

DSCF7933

DSCF7921

• Like 3

Here is Triceratops  "Trixie" number one completed

DSCF7942

DSCF7944

DSCF7946

DSCF7945

DSCF7947

And now onto Triceratops "Trixie 2" number 2 and its prehistoric surgical modifications under early stages - head and neck posture changed to face T Rex on the attack

DSCF7951

I am waiting for the Tamiya putty to dry before engraving the neck skin wrinkles

thanks for following along here

• Like 7