Nissan 240 ZG Fairlady (Fujimi 1/24)

Hi there,

I have spent quite some time on doing this, so I'd like to show the results...

As you may know this kit comes with a fully detailed 6-cylinder engine, but, for whatever reasons, with the bonnet closed. 🤔

So it took some cutting to open the bonnet in order to be able to create the engine bay.

I also opened the trunk door which made it necessary to make a simple opening mechanism (made from Evergreen material) and to modify the glass parts, using transparent plastic sheet material.

I also decided to give the model a little touch by using tiny metal rivets in the fender widening.

index.php?page=Attachment&attachmentID=3

Hope you like it...

Edited by Tommy124
  • Like 24

That's lovely! I really like the colour, can I ask what it is - & what paint? 

I've got one of these in the stash,  never noticed it had an engine in it!

Cracking model!

Keith

7 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Hope you like it...

I certainly do, it's come out as a really nice looking model. The chromework around the model looks particularly good.

If I could drop one minor comment, I think the rear spoilers on these were usually plastic rather than painted, so perhaps a satin black rather than gloss may have been a little closer to stock. But then again, you have got the widened fenders, so who's to say someone didn't paint the spoiler at some time in it's life...😉 - and it certainly doesn't detract from a really eye-catchin model

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I really like the colour, can I ask what it is - & what paint? 

Sure! It's Tamiya TS 12 sprayed on grey Tamiya primer. Actually, this has been giving me quite a hard time, as the grey primer has been very hard to cover with the thin layers coming from the TS 12 can. It took about 6 layers to get a reasonable result.

Btw. this is my first ever car model without any airbrush work being involved in the process, and also the first one not to be sealed with clear coat. In fact, Tamiya compound polishes did all the job of making it shiny. 😎

12 hours ago, Spiny said:

I think the rear spoilers on these were usually plastic rather than painted, so perhaps a satin black rather than gloss may have been a little closer to stock. But then again, you have got the widened fenders, so who's to say someone didn't paint the spoiler at some time in it's life...

You are absolutely right about that.

Quote from Wikipedia:

The (...) Nissan Fairlady ZG was released in Japan in October 1971 to homologate the 240Z for Group 4 racing. Differences between the Fairlady ZG and an export market Datsun 240Z include an extended fiberglass ‘aero-dyna’ nose, wider over-fenders riveted to the body, a rear spoiler, acrylic glass headlight covers and fender-mounted rear-view mirrors.

The over-fenders, front and rear bumpers, aswell as the rear spoiler and the "cover plate" on the rear part of the car (including the tail lights and license plate area), are normally made from a material which originally appears to be in a matt, anthracite-looking colour.

For several reasons I opted to paint the over-fender in body colour and the bumpers, rear spoiler and bonnet in glossy black. Mainly because I felt the black would turn out to be a nice contrast. Even 70's orange can become a bit boring, if there's too much of it... 😅

Thanks to you all for your kind feedbacks!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tommy124 said:

the first one not to be sealed with clear coat. In fact, Tamiya compound polishes did all the job of making it shiny. 😎

Many thanks for the reply - I think you've got the shine exactly right for a car of that age, I shall try the same technique on mine when I get around to it!

Keith

• 5 years later...