IBG SCAMMELL PIONEER 1950's

Afternoon Chaps :bye:

There's always been one model that has been on top of my wish list since I was a kid... A Scammell Pioneer. 

The old Airfix kit was modified a couple of times to make a Pioneer, but it was just too small for me, and seeing as I was just getting into 35th scale, that's what I wanted.

Had to wait a couple of years for it to happen, but eventually both Thunder Models and IBG released one in the last couple years.

Obviously I had to buy them both, and decided to start with the IBG one, simply because its the first one I got on a recent trip to the UK (Dorking Models) 

Why a civilian version?. Well, on a smallholding on the road to Bedworth just outside Nuneaton theres a Pioneer in a field that has been there for years and is being 'restored' :) and that's in civilian colours, and also my grandfather had a 72nd scale one he converted on his model railway layout years and years ago, that I still have.

IBG's kit is very complex, very fiddly and is not an easy build, but man what a kit. 

I have read that there is quite a lot of detail missing, but there certainly is enough to keep you happy and I wasn't that bothered about it :) 

resized_cd308ae7-ecc5-45f6-a473-65dbaed8

The taking the plunge moment - I was not sure about a civilian version, so I just went for it. Colour is Tamiya Yellow XF3 and Clear Orange X26 mixed up. The Interior will eventually be painted Khaki XF49.

resized_f27c6ada-18c4-434a-810b-d11a264c

A little bit of weathering sprayed on (Flat Earth XF52) and the wheels made up. The tyres are excellent, being molded in such a way that there are no mold lines, but care must be taken as they are handed, and its a bit of a mission to get them apart when you realise you've done this at half midnight and all you want to do is go to bed :) 

Okay, whizz forward a bit and this is where I am at the moment...

resized_c35c206a-510f-4625-aed4-658abd72

resized_be71c639-85a4-4a3b-8efb-f74c9a35

I think the chassis had a slight curve in it, because it was actually one hell of a mission to get the cab to sit right, and when I did eventually get it right, I had to remove the radiator assembly because the bonnet wouldn't fit properly. In hindsight, ignore the instructions about fitting the cab, and fit the bonnet to the cab first, then fit the cab, then add the radiator. 

There is still quite a bit to do too finish it off, as well as building a couple of tow bars to fit in the back and add a newspaper and couple of other details in the cab, and finish off the base. 

Just a note, in the pics it looks serious YELLOW!!, but its actually not quite a bright, Camera makes it look quite the Noddy Car :) 

Will post more as I go along :) 

All comments most welcome

:ninja:Mad Steve:ninja: 

• Like 4

That is one sturdy machine! Maybe if you take a picture outdoors, or set it next to something that is really yellow, the true colour will show? 

Steve, I'm but a stones throw from nuneaton, great job so far,  love the yellow, i built the pioneer recovery back end of last year, really enjoyed it,  will it have custom garage decals,  I've been collecting info on a fairground scammell pioneer for a future project, 

Glynn 

Hiya Glynn, thanks :) 

Oohhh Atherstone, where me favourite chippy was :) 

Yep its going to have Garage decals, have some left over from something else. My second Pioneer, the Thunder models one, is going to be a fairground one too :) 

• Like 2