1/72nd Airfix Hurricane Mk.I, 33 Sqn, Greece 1941,....with Alley Cat resin wing conversion.....FINISHED

Thanks Tony, nice plane. 

21 hours ago, tonyot said:

Hiya Franz,..... here are some shots of the undersides as you requested,..hope they are OK?;

Cheers,

Tony

I already bought it. It is on its way. 

I agree with Rabbit Leader ; we need a nice MK I Late Hurricane in 1/72. Hasegawa is outdated.

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,..... paint on,....gloss varnish on,..... ready for the decals once it has dried. I have dry fitted the sliding canopy to show how well it fits after the area behind the cockpit was sanded down a little!

41399792955_dff16c9a36_k.jpgDSCF3520 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

Tony, are you using the kit-supplied windscreen? I just looked ay my kit and then went to Super Hobby to look there and all the Airfix rag-wings come with the early windscreen only. I have just purchased the AlleyCat resin wing and it just hit me yesterday that the windscreen is the early type and not the later armoured glass type.

Chris

Nicely done Tony.

Can I ask you how much plastic did you have to remove from behind the canopy to make it sit right? Is it just a few swipes of the sanding stick or something a little heavier. I'm so worried about overdoing it and ruining the nice fabric covering nearby. 

Cheers., Dave. 

6 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Tony, are you using the kit-supplied windscreen? I just looked ay my kit and then went to Super Hobby to look there and all the Airfix rag-wings come with the early windscreen only. I have just purchased the AlleyCat resin wing and it just hit me yesterday that the windscreen is the early type and not the later armoured glass type.

Chris

Hiya Chris,.... I`m using the resin windscreen supplied with the conversion set,...... I used it on the completed model seen earlier on in the thread too. The windscreen just about represents the later style.

52 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nicely done Tony.

Can I ask you how much plastic did you have to remove from behind the canopy to make it sit right? Is it just a few swipes of the sanding stick or something a little heavier. I'm so worried about overdoing it and ruining the nice fabric covering nearby. 

Cheers., Dave. 

Hiya Dave,..... it is more than a few swipes,...... best thing to do is to keep test fitting the canopy as you go along,.....you`ll soon get the hang of it. Most of it is removed from the sides of the dog house.  You won`t over do it and as it is the dog house area that you are dealing with you won`t affect the fabric effect.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well dang! I ordered the Alley Cat wing and didn't even noticed that the windscreen came with it. Ain't getting' old just the screamin' craps!

Thanks, Tony

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Well dang! I ordered the Alley Cat wing and didn't even noticed that the windscreen came with it. Ain't getting' old just the screamin' craps!

Thanks, Tony

Chris

I have to claim the credit for that,..... Ali showed me his finished resin wing and I said that he should really provide a new canopy too,..... so he did!  

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Blimey, you don’t hang around!

That looks a neat ‘drop-in’ conversion and as usual you are doing a top notch job.

Trevor

Cheers Trevor,..... yes it is almost drop in,.... and thanks, glad you like it so far!

Today I got the decals on,.... using the Plastic Planet Club set, PPD-72006 featuring Allied fighters in the Battle Over Greece;

42279706162_b6354c6733_k.jpgDSCF3541 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8

Hiya Folks,

Nearly there with this one,......I`ve added a coat of matt varnish and a watercolour wash plus the undercarriage;

41670374754_5816a72701_k.jpgDSCF3564 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 12

55 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I'm really liking the look of this Tony, it might mean I need another metal wing from Alicat. :)

Steve.

Cheers Steve,.... and sorry mate! 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm really liking the look of this Tony, it might mean I need another metal wing from Alicat. :)

Steve.

One for me too... our little Air Force got a few tinwing Mk. I:s too. Although resin is not my cup of tea, Tony makes this look easy enough even for me to attempt it 👍. V-P

• Like 2

Cheers Fella`s,

Glad that I`m getting you interested in doing some Hurricane`s yourselves,..... its my favourite aeroplane!

A bit more progress,...... as the real aircraft in the reference photos looked to be quite new I`ve only added minimal wear and tear and exhaust staining,.....I have also added a set of anti glare panels using some parts from the spares box;

40611134780_367479cd5a_k.jpgDSCF3573 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

Hiya Folks,.... I`m calling this one finished ,.....EDIT,..... Well I was,..... but because I was unhappy with the windscreen I have since re done this area,...... additional extra photos have since been added!!

41707396394_542fa747be_k.jpgDSCF3649_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27560928747_ac3b84131c_k.jpgDSCF3647_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

28557671768_35b3a62f1a_k.jpgDSCF3644_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27560927227_93f72d7481_k.jpgDSCF3650_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

42380768142_30db4a93ba_k.jpgDSCF3646_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27560931517_847d2513d0_k.jpgDSCF3639_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

42380770322_032c842671_k.jpgDSCF3638_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41528270745_d6d7282790_k.jpgDSCF3671_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27560917947_da73d93b20_k.jpgDSCF3672_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41528261515_7de618cbe8_k.jpgDSCF3674_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

Another cracking aircraft from the O'Toole Aircraft Company

Haha,.... cheers buddy!

My god - that Hurri is so nice. Just goes to show how it all comes together once the gear and canopy is applied at the final stages. This simple yet effective scheme works so well and it's another overall fitting tribute to the servicemen who served in this hard fought theatre of operations. 

Maybe the reason Airfix have not come out with a tin wing 1/72 kit is so that we end up buying more of their excellent 1/48 scale kit?? Anyway - mine has just risen up the build queue. At this rate, I might need to retire 15-20 years early just to feed my modelling habit! 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1