1/72nd Airfix Hurricane Mk.I, 33 Sqn, Greece 1941,....with Alley Cat resin wing conversion.....FINISHED

Hiya Folks,

If I get the time I would also like to build a Hurricane Mk.I from 33 Sqn which took part in the frantic air battles over Greece during 1941, in which Pat Pattle became the highest scoring pilot of WW2 before he was killed over Athen`s when he was ill and exhausted and clearly unfit to fly. 

I shall be using the Airfix 1/72nd scale fabric winged Hurricane Mk.I;

42147292741_aa9b610c2f_b.jpga02067 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41246166535_e4c3f28554_b.jpga01010-box by Tony OToole, on Flickr

,...... it is such a shame that Airfix have not followed this up with a metal winged version, however Alley Cat have come to the rescue by issuing resin conversion parts for a metal winged Hurricane Mk.I and also a Sea Hurricane Mk.I,.. here is the Hurricane set which also includes the later style windscreen;

41246166435_048157c3b2_k.jpgmetal-wing-conversion-for-airfix-hurricane-mk1-fabric-wing--6534-p by Tony OToole, on Flickr

The best reference photos that I have to work from so far are these,.. featuring V7419, and like other 33 Sqn Hurricane`s it is missing an individual letter, just carrying the NW codes letters;

27276374847_a9d7228688_b.jpghawker_hurricane_1_v7419-nw by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27276374767_5d850d7441.jpg33 Squadron RAF, at Larissa, Greece, with Hawker Hurricane Mark I, V7419, in background. by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And from the internet, here is another 33 Sqn aircraft, V7482;

27276374617_0603da0dfc_b.jpgHurricane MK.I V7482 & NW of 33Sq by Tony OToole, on Flickr

I`ll be using this decal sheet from Plastic Planet Club, featuring fighters used over Greece;

28275417788_c69a6a424b.jpgPPD-72006_1 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

So that is it for now,....I`ll take some pics of the parts soon,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 12

I shall be following this one, Tony. I have just ordered the Alley Cat wing, too. I'm thinking that if I finish my RCAF Hurricane, then perhaps I'll do a later Mk.I as used by No.1 Squadron RCAF after the arrived in Britain in 1940 and were given newer aircraft to replace the rag-wings they brought with them. Now I just need to buy another Airfix kit.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 1

tonyot how many plains do you planning to build at the same time 😄 ?  This metal wing conversion kit is answer to my prays , i want to build late Hurricane. Is it any good?  

• Like 2

Cheers fella`s,......

6 hours ago, Franz75 said:

tonyot how many plains do you planning to build at the same time 😄 ?  This metal wing conversion kit is answer to my prays , i want to build late Hurricane. Is it any good?  

Hiya Franz,..... I have used this resin wing a couple of times now, once to build a RCAF Sea Hurricane;             27288092037_7cd63c5154_k.jpgDSCF8020 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And also for a 73 Sqn Hurricane;

42113263492_9b57aeab69_k.jpgDSCF8129 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

and in both cases I was really pleased with it,.... highly recommended.

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 11

Hiya Folks,.... I have dug out the kit and found the resin wing set,.... so time to rock and roll;

42174060751_c74f8d4a0c_k.jpgDSCF3433_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And here is a sprue shot to show the quality of this Airfix kit;

41453035904_e9cb7f842d_k.jpgDSCF3434_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

So I`ll get on with painting the interior asap,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Hi, I did Hurricane ones before. From  318 (Polish)  Sqn Palestine 1942. It was Revell MK BII  1/72  and I have added "home made" camera  compartment 

WfsG1x9.jpg

gxWqZMw.jpg

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Franz75 said:

Hi, I did Hurricane ones before. From  318 (Polish)  Sqn Palestine 1942. It was Revell MK BII  1/72  and I have added "home made" camera  compartment 

WfsG1x9.jpg

gxWqZMw.jpg

Very nice indeed Franz,..... the paint job is top notch and I love the white stripes,..... which I presume were to help aim the oblique cameras? I want to build a 318 Sqn Spitfire Mk.V after they were based in Italy,.... I`m still collating reference material for it.

Cheers

Tony

19 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers fella`s,......

Hiya Franz,..... I have used this resin wing a couple of times now, once to build a RCAF Sea Hurricane;             27288092037_7cd63c5154_k.jpgDSCF8020 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And also for a 73 Sqn Hurricane;

42113263492_9b57aeab69_k.jpgDSCF8129 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

and in both cases I was really pleased with it,.... highly recommended.

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Tony, 

Are  the code letters coming from a generic set ?

great models mate,

Cheers Joseph

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

Very nice indeed Franz,..... the paint job is top notch and I love the white stripes,..... which I presume were to help aim the oblique cameras? I want to build a 318 Sqn Spitfire Mk.V after they were based in Italy,.... I`m still collating reference material for it.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks, The white stripes were for quick identification during army exercise in Palestine . I will get you some material about  318 , 

20 hours ago, beppe said:

Hi Tony, 

Are  the code letters coming from a generic set ?

great models mate,

Cheers Joseph

Thanks Joseph,..... the codes for both models were `converted' from generic sets by snipping up different letters to lengthen or widen them. The grey codes for the Hurricane came from Xtradecal but were too short,..... the ones for the Sea Hurricane came from a Model Aircraft Monthly BPF sheet,..... and bits had to be swapped around!

17 hours ago, Franz75 said:

Thanks, The white stripes were for quick identification during army exercise in Palestine . I will get you some material about  318 , 

Cheers Franz,..... that would be great. I`m particularly interested in the Spitfire Mk.V flown by W/Cdr Leszek Wielochowskiwith a Vokes filter fitted, which I presume was coded L-W,... but I have been unable to find the serial,..... plus I might also build a Mk.IX, TA864, LW-L which had some nice art work on it.

Hiya Folks,.... here is a bit of an update,..... the cockpit is finished, fitted inside the fuselage half and ready for the fuselage to be joined,..... but first a pic to show it in place atop the resin wing, to which are fitted the rudder bars and control column;

41470805634_dd1843daad_k.jpgDSCF3450 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40384790080_939fa0d9ff_k.jpgDSCF3451 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41470804764_198e423056_k.jpgDSCF3452 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

The halves will be joined asap and as  test fit showed the wings to be a snug fit, they will be attached too,

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 5

Just now, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Hi Tony - I've been researching Pattle's final Hurri - just posted a new thread in fact.  There's the possibility it had the later MK II style Rotol prop.  What do you think for underside colour - I'm hedging towards sky blue.

Jonners

Hiya mate,..... yes I`d noticed that some were fitted with later Rotol`s,.... which increased the climb rate considerably and they were being introduced in Malta at the same time as a matter of urgency. I agree with Sky Blue and this is what I`ll be using here too,..... in fact I think that it was added in the UK as part of the tropicalisation mods which also included the Vokes filters,..... although as always,..there were exceptions to the rule. 

All the best mate,

Tony

12 hours ago, Franz75 said:

Tony, can I see a bottom of the wings?

I`ll take a photo tomorrow,..... just lost the daylight here now!

I did add the resin tropical filter from a Model Aircraft Monthly conversion set (maybe available now from Alley Cat?) and the first coat of Dark Earth (photos taken earlier this afternoon!) Before painting I had sanded the `dog house' behind the cockpit to enable the sliding  canopy to sit properly in place;

41333432035_70e2a663ac_k.jpgDSCF3493 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 7

It's a real shame that there aren't any aftermarket Vokes filters for Hurricanes Tony (Alley Cat certainly don't have one in their current catalogue). Maybe when a model company finally make a modern tooling of a MkI, or MkII for that matter, (the lack of which is a greater shmme) they'll see fit to include one.

I used one from an AZ MkII but it seems the MkI and MkII had different styles, the MkI being shorter... something I chose to ignore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beard said:

It's a real shame that there aren't any aftermarket Vokes filters for Hurricanes Tony (Alley Cat certainly don't have one in their current catalogue). Maybe when a model company finally make a modern tooling of a MkI, or MkII for that matter, (the lack of which is a greater shmme) they'll see fit to include one.

I used one from an AZ MkII but it seems the MkI and MkII had different styles, the MkI being shorter... something I chose to ignore.

I bought a lot of them when they were released but this is my last one now! All I have left is an old Heller one and a Revell one,..... but as you say they are both longer and for a Mk.II. I totally agree,.... we need a modern metal winged 1/72nd Hurricane.

FLY Model have announced that they are releasing a couple of 1/7nd kits of the Hurricane Mk.IIb,..... which is good,....... nice decal options and a canopy mask set plus a resin propeller,...... but it is the old Hasegawa kit,....which isn`t so bad as it is the best Mk.IIb out there! They say that they will follow with a MkIIc and d,.... so at least somebody is trying,..... don`t know any prices yet though!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

FLY Model have announced that they are releasing a couple of 1/7nd kits of the Hurricane Mk.IIb,....

I forgot about Fly releasing the Hasegawa MkII. I have a couple of the originals and as you say, better than nothing.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 8:31 AM, Franz75 said:

Tony, can I see a bottom of the wings?

Hiya Franz,..... here are some shots of the undersides as you requested,..hope they are OK?;

28390238888_c7e6a7f7e5_k.jpgDSCF3505 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

28390240208_72895b433a_k.jpgDSCF3499 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And here is the model with the final coat of Dark Earth;

42264022801_efcb9a60d3_k.jpgDSCF3500 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 8

I've missed writing some words within this thread so shall place my stamp on it now.

Another great subject being built within this very important GB. I echo everyone's thoughts regarding the lack of readily available Metal wing Hurricane and cannot believe that one needs to resort to this type of surgery to end up with one. Don't get me wrong, I applaud Alley (or whatever he is called this days) but I think that it's almost criminal that in 2018 we struggle to find a good, detailed kity of what really is the hero of the Battle of Britain and many other conflicts.

Fingers crossed 2019 changes all this.

@Franz75 - that's one beautiful Hurricane you've put together there, well done.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I think that it's almost criminal that in 2018 we struggle to find a good, detailed kity of what really is the hero of the Battle of Britain and many other conflicts.

That says it all Dave

• Like 1

I don't know if any of you have seen this:

I know it's the Hasegawa plastic but there are some interesting schemes. *heads off to see if Hannants or my usual supplier (or pusher) have stock.*

edit: apologies for the thread drift.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1