Red Flag 1977 Vulcans

janneman36

Dear all,

Is there someone out there who can shed a light on wich aircraft was the second Vulcan B2 at Red flag 1977?

The first one is the wellknown XM607 and there are two pictures out on the net of that particular aircraft.

And the second one is supposed to be XM648 according to the source that made the wellknown pictures of XM607 with the desert camo.

According to him the second one had the same colors.

The only thing is that at the time of the  Red Flag timeframe 607 was in hands of 44 squadron and according to a lot of pictures and databases 648 was at 101 squadron in august the month of Red Flag while it was at 44 squadron in march.

So what i want to know if these two aircraft where from two different squadrons during the exercise and thus bearing the 101 crest on the tail on 648 and the 44 crest on 607 or 648 wasn't even there and the 648 serial is a typo...

Many thanks in advance, Jan

• Like 1

The very last post in this thread should help you a little, confirms both of those serials and the sand underside camo

https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?75788-Red-Flag-Vulcans/page3

there is an image online of both Vulcans together, but you can only make out one with a squadron tail marking, which looks like a white disc 44 Sqn marking.

It might be that the other one was 101 marked and I can't make out the details, or that the tail is so in shade that any markings wouldn't show up.

XM648 served with 9, 44 and 101 in fairly quick succession, but i don't have dates.

They may have even gone out to Nellis as part the Waddington 'wing' consisting of both squadrons?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 71chally said:

They may have even gone out to Nellis as part the Waddington 'wing' consisting of both squadrons?

Quite likely, I would have thought.  If you are competing for the honour of your country and service, you would surely choose the best aircraft available on station, regardless of the squadron markings they happen to wear.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 71chally said:

The very last post in this thread should help you a little, confirms both of those serials and the sand underside camo

https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?75788-Red-Flag-Vulcans/page3

there is an image online of both Vulcans together, but you can only make out one with a squadron tail marking, which looks like a white disc 44 Sqn marking.

It might be that the other one was 101 marked and I can't make out the details, or that the tail is so in shade that any markings wouldn't show up.

XM648 served with 9, 44 and 101 in fairly quick succession, but i don't have dates.

Thank you for that James, i had found the same info as well and there is not much out there...

28 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Quite likely, I would have thought.  If you are competing for the honour of your country and service, you would surely choose the best aircraft available on station, regardless of the squadron markings they happen to wear.

Thanks Seahawk, i had the same idea.

Below a linky to XM648 in July 1977

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/Avro-698-Vulcan-B2/632319/L?qsp=eJwtjLEKwkAQBf9laxtRgqTTXrSwsF12HxqM3rG3oEfIv2dz2A0zMBNJ%2Bjh%2BfqsZ1FMBmzxpQ5mN34X6iV6o32QaTPdztz9ELMn8VEMoO44iyA79%2B4spbE0o0j6P%2BG4DYNfGtOvC61DyyO0B52GkeV4A57st4g%3D%3D

But you never know what's going to pop up..

At the moment i am collecting enough material for my Airfix Vulcan project and i want it to be a little different ...

Thank you guys for chiming in!!

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1