Amalgam 1:5th Scale Resin BMW Sauber F1.09

DanB

Hi guys,

I hope this is posted in the right section - my apologies if not.

I recently picked up this model - it's an extremely large 1:5th scale model of Robert Kubica's BMW Sauber from the 2009 Formula 1 season. Unfortunately it was sold with some damage, but I had hoped to get it repaired and perhaps wall-mount it. I have had a quote from the manufacturer but the cost was eye watering. A quote from a company producing similar models was even more expensive, and in their opinion it would have been worth more than the value of the car itself.

It's far too good a thing to just be left in this state or even discarded. It was used as a promotional item in the offices of a team sponsor before coming onto the market, but I assume the people that did the office re-fit are responsible for the damage when they removed it from the wall it was attached to.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any advice or ideas as to how this thing could be restored? It's way beyond my skill level to attempt a repair. I believe it's made from resin. The front wing pieces are all there to be glued back, but it would also need filling, sanding and repainting to bring it up to the right standard. The floor and diffuser have pieces missing, and the steering wheel is gone completely.

I've attached some photos.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Dan

42091202482_4d20179f51_h.jpg

Amalgam (3) by Dan B, on Flickr

42091201912_b46d0e5012_h.jpg

Amalgam (4) by Dan B, on Flickr

42091199602_689270aa3c_h.jpg

Amalgam (10) by Dan B, on Flickr

42091199092_0954cf817b_h.jpg

Amalgam (11) by Dan B, on Flickr

Edited by DanB
  • Like 2

From the way it looks, I think that you could get away with reassembly with a little CA and a judicious touch up with white or black if it's needed.  You say it will be wall mounted, so won't be scrutinised too carefully - it is, after all, a display model and not a detailed replica. Perhaps a local modeller could help to fix it?

As for the steering wheel, have you asked Amalgam for a replacement? - they may be able to help you here.

BTW it's very nice!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looking at it To fix would not be too hard. the front wing peices are all easy fix, the floor pan/diffuser a little harder but all could be done with the correct thickness plasticard. It was the first year of new regs in 09 so all bits are very basic shapes compared with the following year. The steering wheel again not to hard it would just be a time consuming job to get right. All the decals are again very easily printable to replace on damaged parts. 

Shaun 

• 1 month later...