Revell 1/72 Corsair Mk II (F4U-1B)

Revell have just released a brand new boxing of a Corsair, based on their recent F4U-1 kit but this time it's a Royal Navy Corsair Mk II (F4U-1B) with the clipped, squared off wingtips! I was quite excited to see a modern mainstream kit of a Royal Navy Corsair in 1/72, so I had to get one, as I didn't really want to modify another kit. It turned up in the UK last week, so I stuck one our trade order and it arrived yesterday and I took these pics, note the wingtips in the last pic! The decals come with instrument panels and seatbelts, so my plan is just to build the kit OOB using the decals and closing the canopy. I couldn't wait to start so it's been primed already and I'll start to paint the interior asap. There is only one marking option, which is the aircraft on the cover from HMS Colossus, July 1945.  I'm hoping the thing won't have any real fit issues and it will be a nice easy fun build.

thanks

Mike

32484603_1839123356147156_56794796262550

32384013_1839123402813818_21221498005844

32599643_1839123532813805_13713403613429

32503796_1839123586147133_45558743572299

32381217_1839123609480464_32787206959529

• Like 10

Gosh you snuck this one in, I nearly missed it.

she looks to be a nice looking model, will be interesting to follow this build to she how she shapes up.

...and good luck with another build, that’s the spirit. :D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Gosh you snuck this one in, I nearly missed it.

she looks to be a nice looking model, will be interesting to follow this build to she how she shapes up.

...and good luck with another build, that’s the spirit. :D

Well I wanted to make sure I got something completed for the GB, so when this turned up, I just had to get on with it. I was interior painting last night and I hope to get the cockpit decals on this evening. The wings have been stuck together and so far it's fitting together quite easily, even though the cockpit assembly is different than most similar kits!

thanks

Mike

I paused to take some pics earlier this evening, which are show below. Since the pics were taken the cockpit parts have had a bit of matt varnish over the decals and a light drybrushing of light grey, just to do a basic highlight and to matt it down further. I'm not doing anymore as the canopy will be closed. I think the instrument panel decals are quite nice and they'll do for the canopy being closed. The seatbelt decals aren't as good, Eduard etch seatbelts would be better.

After I finished with the interior parts, I've closed up the fuselage and glued the wings in place, with the wing tips and gun ports added. The tail wings (or whatever they're really called) have been added, as has the rudder. The last part fitted is the circular part that fits to the front of the two fuselage halves that will provide the mounting part for the engine and cowling. I think the kit is over engineered and has a lot of parts for a small kit. The fit is good in places and less good in others, although not so bad that it can't be fixed easily with small (and I do mean small) amounts of putty and sanding. It's not a difficult build by any means and I think it will turn out quite nice.

thanks

Mike

32491987_1841342955925196_52664380674172

Forward cockpit bulkhead showing the instrument panel decal, Rear cockpit bulkhead, with seat and control column. Decal seatbelts

32599614_1841343082591850_85227951048831

Wings so far, the intake fit isn't so good, putty and sanding will fix it.

32683926_1841343145925177_24642468276338

Not a very clear pic but is shows the cockpit side instrument panels with decals

• Like 6

This is where the build is right now. As you can see the multi part cowling doesn't fit quite as well as you would expect from a new tool kit. It's nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of fettling, putty and sanding but I can't help feeling that the 3 Tamiya Corsairs in my stash (that were tooled a good while ago now) will be far better kits to build. It's a bit disappointing but not a disaster, just a bit annoying but I'll sort it out. I still think it will look Ok when finished, still can't grumble too much for under £7!

thanks

Mike

32867829_1842640485795443_64342772862282

32829085_1842640549128770_14032390233207

• Like 6

Looks like a nice kit and seems to be building nicely.  I know you'll finish it well and I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.

Not sure I like the indents for the wing root pylon mounting though.  Did the MkII have them? Most pictures of the MkII pics I have seen show the aircraft with the centre line mounted tanks.  I think that the model represents the MkIV with the twin pylons although (and someone with more knowledge than myself in a minute) the differences were very small, weren't MkIV built by Brewster or something and delivered in GSB rather than TSS. At the end of the war the MKIV mostly equipped the Naval Fighter Wings of HMS Formidable and Victorious and the Light Fleet Carrier force assembled in Australia preparing for Operation Olympic.

23 hours ago, Beard said:

As the Tamiya Corsair is pricey, I think I might buy a couple of these. I don't suppose you know anywhere Incould get one?

I believe I might know where you can get some next week, Monday maybe? Can't talk about that here though!

13 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Looks like a nice kit and seems to be building nicely.  I know you'll finish it well and I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.

Not sure I like the indents for the wing root pylon mounting though.  Did the MkII have them? Most pictures of the MkII pics I have seen show the aircraft with the centre line mounted tanks.  I think that the model represents the MkIV with the twin pylons although (and someone with more knowledge than myself in a minute) the differences were very small, weren't MkIV built by Brewster or something and delivered in GSB rather than TSS. At the end of the war the MKIV mostly equipped the Naval Fighter Wings of HMS Formidable and Victorious and the Light Fleet Carrier force assembled in Australia preparing for Operation Olympic.

Here's the funny thing, the kit (as can be seen by the box) is called the F4U-1B, on the decals it says Corsair Mk IV. I did some reading and the F4U-1B is supposed to be (unless what I read is wrong and it might be) a F4U-1A built for the Royal Navy and according to what I read,  the F4U-1A (and D) were called the Corsair Mk II, hence I called it the Mk II. According to what I read the FG-1 was the Corsair Mk IV, perhaps it's actually one of the F4U-1D's? Either way it'll end up a Blue Royal Navy Corsair when done!

thanks

Mike

• Like 2

I've filled all the gaps in the not so well fitting multi part cowling (why couldn't they make it with less parts that fit better?) and other bits, done some sanding and re-primed it. The forward part of the cockpit, where the windscreen goes, has been painted Black, and now it should be ready for the canopy fitting and then we'll be almost ready for painting. Hopefully I can get a bit more done over the bank holiday weekend. I've been very busy, so I've had a chance to make any more progress. Also, why is it getting more and more difficult to post pics on here?

thanks

Mike

tumblr_inline_p99108PCy91u2mcb6_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_p9910sKnKa1u2mcb6_500.jpg

• Like 4

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:15 PM, Mikemx said:

This is where the build is right now. As you can see the multi part cowling doesn't fit quite as well as you would expect from a new tool kit. It's nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of fettling, putty and sanding but I can't help feeling that the 3 Tamiya Corsairs in my stash (that were tooled a good while ago now) will be far better kits to build. It's a bit disappointing but not a disaster, just a bit annoying but I'll sort it out. I still think it will look Ok when finished, still can't grumble too much for under £7!

I think you nail it.  Revell could really have cleaned up here by producing a good low-cost alternative to the expensive Tamiya kit and also to put Airfix off retooling their ancient F4U kit but they shot wide of an open goal.  There are lots of good things about this kit (eg the interior is as good as Tamiya's) but a combination of poor research, over-engineering and poor fit let it down big-time.  I have the earlier alleged "F4U-1" completing but will certainly never build another: fixing the tedious fit problems sapped my will to live.  I'd rather pay more for the Tamiya kit - but your mileage may of course differ.  There is still an opening for a new Airfix kit but, having been disappointed by the Me 262, I doubt whether it would offer quality or price advantages over the Revell kit, leaving the Tamiya kit still the uncontested champion.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:30 AM, Grey Beema said:

No Mk.IIs had the twin centre-section pylons.  The kit represents a Goodyear-built FG-1D Corsair IV much more successfully than the original issue represented a Vought F4U-1A.  All Corsair IVs were delivered in Glossy Sea Blue.  Later Corsair IVs had the twin pylons (as per the kit), even later ones had props of slightly reduced diameter but increased chord (as per the kit).  Can't make out all the markings options in this issue (and certainly won't be buying one to find out) but the most commonly illustrated Corsair IV coded "U6K" was KD344 of 1846 Squadron, HMS Colossus.  An aircraft from that stage in production would not have had the later prop (introduced from somewhere around KD571).  I haven't been able to find out where the twin bomb racks came in but, if the change coincided with Goodyear's change of designation from FG-1A to FG-1D (as it should do), it would have been from KD561 onwards.  So that's two inaccuracies for starters - which of course will worry you as much as you let it.  The large fuel tanks provided in the kit were never carried on FAA aircraft.  You can find a prop with the correct narrower blades in the old Hasegawa kit or as a spare in some Tamiya F4U boxings.  AFAIK the Hasegawa kit is the only source of an acceptably accurate centre-line tank as used extensively by FAA Corsair IIs and IVs alike.  If you decide to mount bombs on the pylons, note that they would have been British 500lb MC bombs (eg from Tamiya Mosquito) and an adapter was used (the bomb racks in the Airfix Blenheim give the idea though I haven't explored whether they are the correct size).

The kit is at least much closer to a Corsair IV than the earlier "F4U-1A", which also featured the seriously anachronistic twin bomb racks and very late prop but not the Brewster bomb rack used by these earlier variants.  And, as you suggest, the indentations for the pylons are a beast to fill tidily.  Personally, if I couldn't afford the Tamiya F4U-1A kit, I'd go for the Academy one.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Seahawk said:

I think you nail it.  Revell could really have cleaned up here by producing a good low-cost alternative to the expensive Tamiya kit and also to put Airfix off retooling their ancient F4U kit but they shot wide of an open goal.  There are lots of good things about this kit (eg the interior is as good as Tamiya's) but a combination of poor research, over-engineering and poor fit let it down big-time.  I have the earlier alleged "F4U-1" completing but will certainly never build another: fixing the tedious fit problems sapped my will to live.  I'd rather pay more for the Tamiya kit - but your mileage may of course differ.  There is still an opening for a new Airfix kit but, having been disappointed by the Me 262, I doubt whether it would offer quality or price advantages over the Revell kit, leaving the Tamiya kit still the uncontested champion.

No Mk.IIs had the twin centre-section pylons.  The kit represents a Goodyear-built FG-1D Corsair IV much more successfully than the original issue represented a Vought F4U-1A.  All Corsair IVs were delivered in Glossy Sea Blue.  Later Corsair IVs had the twin pylons (as per the kit), even later ones had props of slightly reduced diameter but increased chord (as per the kit).  Can't make out all the markings options in this issue (and certainly won't be buying one to find out) but the most commonly illustrated Corsair IV coded "U6K" was KD344 of 1846 Squadron, HMS Colossus.  An aircraft from that stage in production would not have had the later prop (introduced from somewhere around KD571).  I haven't been able to find out where the twin bomb racks came in but, if the change coincided with Goodyear's change of designation from FG-1A to FG-1D (as it should do), it would have been from KD561 onwards.  So that's two inaccuracies for starters - which of course will worry you as much as you let it.  The large fuel tanks provided in the kit were never carried on FAA aircraft.  You can find a prop with the correct narrower blades in the old Hasegawa kit or as a spare in some Tamiya F4U boxings.  AFAIK the Hasegawa kit is the only source of an acceptably accurate centre-line tank as used extensively by FAA Corsair IIs and IVs alike.  If you decide to mount bombs on the pylons, note that they would have been British 500lb MC bombs (eg from Tamiya Mosquito) and an adapter was used (the bomb racks in the Airfix Blenheim give the idea though I haven't explored whether they are the correct size).

The kit is at least much closer to a Corsair IV than the earlier "F4U-1A", which also featured the seriously anachronistic twin bomb racks and very late prop but not the Brewster bomb rack used by these earlier variants.  And, as you suggest, the indentations for the pylons are a beast to fill tidily.  Personally, if I couldn't afford the Tamiya F4U-1A kit, I'd go for the Academy one.

I actually have 3 different Tamiya Corsairs, a couple of Academy ones and I think a Revell postwar one. I got this kit because it has the clipped wingtips, which is a first for a modern new tool Corsair kit. I've no doubt the Tamiya ones will build much better, I've made an Academy one already and that wasn't that bad.

It sounds like Revell have been confused over the designation, perhaps the box should say Corsair Mk IV. I'm not concerned about the model having any ordnance on it, so the question is what to do about the indents. I guess the sprue with the pair of drop tanks is the same in each different boxing. If that's the case, could you use the pylons without any modifications to plug the indents?

thanks

Mike

16 hours ago, Mikemx said:

... the question is what to do about the indents. I guess the sprue with the pair of drop tanks is the same in each different boxing. If that's the case, could you use the pylons without any modifications to plug the indents?

Builder's choice, I guess.  Using part of the pylons to fill the indents would work, I used my super-gloopy Mister Surfacer (a jar of 500 which has got very thick).  The trickiness lies in the subsequent clean-up: the fuselage contours are bit complex around there.

5 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Builder's choice, I guess.  Using part of the pylons to fill the indents would work, I used my super-gloopy Mister Surfacer (a jar of 500 which has got very thick).  The trickiness lies in the subsequent clean-up: the fuselage contours are bit complex around there.

We're they the same pylons as they used for bombs? Otherwise it'll be time for more filler!

thanks

Mike 

The pylons were the same whatever they carried.  Note that they are not applicable to KD344 "U6K".  When not in use, the bottom of the pylons was covered by an aerodynamic fairing which had the effect of rounding the bottom edge slightly (there's a photo on p.58 of Detail & Scale 55 F4U Corsair Pt. 1).  If you decide to use them on your model, there are 3 options: fit empty pylons as provided in kit (ISTR they have a slightly rounded bottom), fit pylons with the tanks provided (which were not used by the FAA) or fit pylons with bombs.  This means squaring off the bottom edge of the pylon and, for a FAA aircraft, adding an adapter and British 500lb MC bombs (see post 14).

19 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Not just over the designation - they've also depicted Type 'B' upperwing roundels on the box art, whilst the built example in the instruction sheet photo is wearing Type 'C'!

At this stage in the war Type C is much more likely.

23 hours ago, Mikemx said:

I should have built another Eduard Hellcat or Tamiya Corsair instead!

Ah, now you're talking class, pure class.  Sorry to hear about the broken windscreen.

• Like 1

I've had a letter today from Revell UK. They have ordered a replacement windscreen for me but it could take 4-6 weeks. If it gets here in enough time, I'll see if I can resume the build but I think I'll be getting some Eduard mask this time!

thanks

Mike

• Like 2

wow that's pretty slow and you live sort of local....in a global sense.

I'm not sure if this is the one you're after or even if it will fit...

Squadron F4U-1A/D canopy

Squadron do do a range of replacement canopies, though you do have to do a bit of searching for them