Humbrol paints...

Andre B

Just Wonder...

Has anybody hade problem with Humbrol Satin Clear Warnish Spray? I sprayed an Spitfire painted with Humbrol acrylic spray 29, 90 and 163. And when I was spraying the last layer of satin clear warnish it cracked the painting. Most damaged was the first and oldest layer of Hu 29. Now I don't dare to use Humbrol Satin Clear Warnish Spray again...

/André

Ps.

What is/was Hu 27 good for? An alternativ to extra dark sea grey or... ?

Was the varnish the acrylic or enamel version of the spray?

Humbrol 27 has many uses. It makes a nice shade for the US version of Ocean grey as used on British/Commonwealth Mustangs and others, faded extra dark sea grey. etc. At least those are some of the things I use it for.

I've had exactly the same issue with humbrol acrylic gloss varnish in the past. It made it look like the surface of the paint cracked and crazed. When it dried out, it settled down. Didn't turn out too bad. 

The varnish I used was acrylic, as was the paint below. The chap who sold it me assured me they were both compatible, but I have my doubts now. I wouldn't use humbrol varnish myself anymore, my next project will be cleared with alclad aqua gloss. 

Matt