IDF Collection so far

Hi Lloyd,

Fantastic collection.  What colour are you using, is it Sinai Grey?  I almost started my Mk III at the weekend but got all confused when I looked up the colour for it, soooooo many different opinions on which one to use....

Hi Widow

Haven't heard from you for a bit.

It's nothing exotic just a 50/50 mix of Tamiya XF49 Khaki and XF20 Medium Grey usually over Tamiya NATO Black as a primer and some Tamiya Flat White in places

like the center of panels.  I've painted 4 models with this mix from the same bottle and no 2 are exactly the same, strange, but they do end up looking Israeli.

They had some live fire exercises at Suffield last week and when the wind blows the right way you can hear the sound of freedom. Two Cdn CF18's blasted over the house on 

Tuesday at about 200 feet up and that was interesting, thought the coffee pot was going to jump off the counter.

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

Thanks Agria

Yes there's something about IDF vehicles.  I like the way they take something and transform it into something lots more useful

and usually lots more deadly. Their home grown designs are no slouches either.

Take care,

Lloyd

Does Suffield ever have an open house or tours?  That'd be a good reason to visit my friends in Red Deer........ 

Awesome work on the IDF collection, btw.  If you ever have the urge, the Tamiya M51 kit is really quite good.  

Thanks Pat

I was at a tour out at Suffield about 20 years ago and really enjoyed it and I believe they still have open houses but I haven't been to one since.

I did try to get on the base last summer to photograph the Chieftain they have on display and found out it's a closed base, civilians not welcome.

Sorta got a sour taste over that as I only wanted to go to the parking lot in front of the admin building not plant any mischief devices or anything.

Back in the day when I was stationed in Brandon I visited Camp Shilo and they had quite a collection of WWII Allied and German vehicles. Should have took some pics

but that was 50 years ago long before digital cameras and film and developing was a luxury.  Don't know if the vehicles are still there or maintained but they were nice back

then.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

Nice collection that you've got going there Lloyd, and with another Merkava to add to it soon. I agree, there certainly is something about IDF vehicles. My collection is three Shermans with a Tiran 5 and another Sherman to add soon.

John. 

Thanks Lloyd, always helpful.

Been busy lately and just watching what has been going on on here.

The "season" at Suffield has started, but its not much of a season anymore, coplared with the early days.... we have some guys out supporting the TES phase, wish I was there too....

Thanks John

Keep them coming, that Tiran 5 should fit right in.

Thanks Ozzy

Thanks Widow

Be careful what you wish for as it's been +35C here already and it's supposed to be +30C all week.  We haven't had rain for quite a while so

there's fire bans all over. Typical southern Alberta weather, freeze your a$$ off one week and roast it off the next.

Those poor buggers at Suffield out on the bald prairie with no shade must be feeling the heat.

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

Thanks Soeren

It's hard to make a monochrome vehicle look decent, lots harder than the typical 3 color WWII schemes.

Thanks Chris

Got to slow down on the IDF stuff as once again the display cabinets are getting filled up.  Almost time for another purge of older 1/35 but the

1/16 scale stays.

Take care,

Lloyd

Wow those look brilliant Lloyd weathering looks spot on :thumbsup:, I don't know anything about IDF's so can you tell me what year each was used.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard

Not exactly sure but I think the Gal Batash was used after the 1967 war and the Tiran after the 1973 war both of them up to the Merkava era. Then the Merkava Mk 1 dates from the early 1980s 

but retired now and the Achzarit from the later 80s to the present far as I know.

Could be all wet and someone like Israel would know for sure.

When is that show in Nanton, must be getting close?

Take care,

Lloyd