Magnets for missile pylons/missiles

Flyboy3394

Does anyone know of a source to procure magnets (i am thinking 1mmx1mm) which I could use to attach missiles and pylons to my 1/72 Trumpeter SU-33? 

I know this is literally on such a small scale that it may not be worth it, but I want to explore the possibility/viability. 

Looking for something like this

: From a 1/48th kit. qu0Irzm.jpg

On 5/19/2018 at 2:55 AM, Tomppa B said:

Found this link as well, but its out of country for me, so that could delay things. 

I like the idea of doing a 2mm on its side. 

Is this even advisable for a 1/72? 

7 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

It sounds unadvisable for anything.  The top of the magnet is a North pole, the bottom a South pole.  Or whichever way it comes.  Either way, the side has lines of flux between the two, and nothing will stay stable.  Magnetic monopoles are only in advanced physics theories and science fiction.

Taking the side argument out of it, it should be doable. I have seen it done. It works. The ask was regarding scale, not magnetic issues playing into this. But i can definitely see what you mean. take the side idea out of play. 

Perfectly viable and in far smaller numbers than might be assumed. The wing based weapons and pylons on my 1/48 Tornado F.2 Prototype are attached using 1mm x 1mm neodymium magnets - 1 in the wing, 1 in the pylon. Though for the future I will look to increase the number of magnet pairs to 2 for extra strength. Trying to recall where I got mine from but they were a box of 100 for around £10 or thereabouts.

How would these be secured? Epoxy perhaps? Would have to be strong enough so that the magnets wouldn't just pull each other out I would think...Want to try this on my 1:48th Fencer and ordered those Ebay ones.

TIA,

Jim

16 hours ago, junglejim said:

Epoxy perhaps?

Yup, or super glue. Drill a hole the same size as the magnet and pop it in.

As previously mentioned, wargamers do it all the time to swap out different weapons or accessories on figures. Do a google for ‘magnetising warhammer’ or ‘40k magnetising’, I think they’re keeping the neodymium magnet companies in business!

Mart