Trumpeter 1/72 SU-33 Flanker D

10 hours ago, mstorin said:

Yea, Eduard is notorious for getting the colors wrong. Dream models makes a Su-33 cockpit set in 1/72 and 1/48 that is almost a perfect match. Here's a link to a 1/72 one on eBay, unfortunately it is for the Hasegawa kit. They don't seem to make one for the Trumpeter kit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dream-Model-72016-1-72-Su-33-Flanker-Cockpit-Color-Etching-Parts-for-Hasegawa/372302269283?hash=item56aef1cb63:g:ymQAAOSwQPlV9tFQ

I did see that, but was worried about fit issues with the Trumpeter. I mean at this point, all I could really do is get a resin cockpit and work with that. 

Anyone know of a resin set for Trumpeter? 

Update: Cockpit is done and main fuselage assembled: 

Ref pic with foot pedals shown

l0DKoMz.jpg

Display installed

SwbgnN9.jpg

bMfZaLB.jpg

Cockpit tub in:

StVgXGa.jpg

N7l6KRr.jpg

Fuselage halves glued together and wings also glued together. Going with the flaps down for takeoff. 

tfn7mkk.jpg

Next up is installing the nose and horizontal stabs, and then preshading! 

Edited by Flyboy3394
  • Like 1

Update: 

Intakes installed: 

Psm2VT8.jpg

jVUt94a.jpg

hZoz2Q1.jpg

Wings installed (sort of): 

P8xM8MO.jpg

One wing had a split section up front for some reason. So I had to fill it in with putty. 

WtqIvxK.jpg

0vZSO4r.jpg

Fixed: 

7JuZPiT.jpg

NQruYHW.jpg

I have sanded/polished and futured the canopy and will post final pics of that tonight. 

Next steps are masking the canopy, installing it, and beginning the prshading process. Bit nervous about that, but I recently bought a Badger Krome that sprays Tamiya flat black really nicely. Just need to really refine my technique and air pressure/thinner mix so I get small lines and not big paint blobs. Any advice on that front is appreciated! 

Zach

• Like 1

Well a pretty major setback has struck:

Whilst in the final stage of polishing my canopy with polishing compound, I applied too much pressure to the inside with my finger, causing a noticable split/crack right down the center of the whole rear section. Im gutted. It was so pretty and then I pull a bull in a china shop move like this. 

RDYdzPK.jpg 

Question for the crew here.... Can I fill in the gap with this? 

4VoS5Yd.jpg

Also, Eduard sent me the SU-27UB canopy masks, not the SU-33 one. So now... well... im not too sure where to go from here.... 

Nice work with the intakes and wings! Pity about canopy though! I hope you can sort it!

Håkan