Trumpeter 1/72 SU-33 Flanker D

Beginning a new build thread for my Trumpeter SU-33 Flanker D. 

I will be doing a gear down, on the deck build. Only aftermarket parts I will use is the Eduard colored PE cockpit set, for displays and seatbelts, etc. I will use the MIG SU-33 paint set for the external camo, and some various MM enamels for the LG bays and wheels. Exhausts will be painted using Alclad metallics. 

U29HAM8.jpg Most of the bits collected. 

This is my second SU-33 build, the first being a Zvezda SU-33 in 1/72, painted in a fictional splinter camo scheme. 

Thanks for having a look! 

• Like 3

I'm curious to see how the Mig paints hold up to the AKAN sets - the colors are quite different between them, even when taking the early and late Su-33 schemes in account.

Cheers,

Andre

21 hours ago, Hook said:

I'm curious to see how the Mig paints hold up to the AKAN sets - the colors are quite different between them, even when taking the early and late Su-33 schemes in account.

Cheers,

Andre

I am also curious about this. Procuring the MIG paints were far easier than the Akan set, so I opted for that route. I am hoping they come out ok. ill spray some tester spoons beforehand to do a color check. I do really like the lack of a need to thin the MIG paints for airbrush, as I hate messing up ratios and then having to clean the AB completely before continuing. Additionally I just bought a new Badger Krome for detail painting (gonna try preshading for the first time). 

I do have a question for all here... 

For the intakes, what color is the internal area supposed to be? Should they match the bottom of the fuselage? That slightly blue/grey color? Or white? Cannot seem to find any close up ref. photos. 

Edited by Flyboy3394

The insides of the intakes on Flankers (incl Su-33) is medium to dark grey - with the outer colour extending inside the intake lip.

Although not Su-33's this photos (found on t'interweb) shows the scheme.....

maxresdefault.jpg

....as does this.....

1420291d1443363871-sukhoi-su-27-flanker-

They are awkward to do - so I usually paint my intakes medium grey before assembly - then mask off the grey areas and assemble the intakes - with care you can then poke inside the intakes with tweezers and peel of the masking tape at the end of the build.

Su-27SM_34.jpg

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Flankerman said:

The insides of the intakes on Flankers (incl Su-33) is medium to dark grey - with the outer colour extending inside the intake lip.

Although not Su-33's this photos shows the scheme.....

maxresdefault.jpg

....as does this.....

1420291d1443363871-sukhoi-su-27-flanker-

They are awkward to do - so I usually paint my intakes medium grey before assembly - then mask off the grey areas and assemble the intakes - with care you can then poke inside the intakes with tweezers and peel of the masking tape at the end of the build.

Su-27SM_34.jpg

Ken

Thanks for the advice Ken! What is your preferred medium gray in this situation? Ive got a lot of greys in MM enamels, gunship grey, R.N. Dark Grey, dark gull, dark ghost, etc. 

And we're off! 

Cockpit tub, display and inner/upper fuselage painted in MM Flanker Blue Grey:

9QgDnvM.jpg 

Hard to see the blue/grey here, as the red really pops out far more. 

Red was MM Insignia Red enamel. I stupidly forgot the front gear bay, so I will have to go back tonight and finish that. 

DzwOmBx.jpg

Next is the exhaustr intakes: Done in MM Gunship Grey enamel. Maybe a bit too dark but oh well, itll pop!

rib4nqa.jpg

nyAr0AI.jpg

I forgot to take pictures of the bits painted black, including the ejector seats, tailhook (base color) and intaKe panels (base to be dry brushed with silver once cured). 

I did get my Eduard PE cockpit set! So that will go on once the paint cures over the weekend. 

c3aytpS.jpg

The detail looks superb and I look forward to having a nice detailed cockpit! 

Also got my canopy masks from Eduard:

eCwro7c.jpg

Next up: continuing to build the wings, landing gear, and weapons while the enamel paint cures and dries. So far so good! Fingers crossed for the rest. 

Edited by Flyboy3394
  • Like 3

Question: 

Before gluing in my PE set into the cockpit, do I need to scrap down the existing buttons/ display monitors/guages to fit the PE in a realistic looking manner? Or should i just glue it directly on top of the features as the exist now? 

I think scraping off the old details is needed, to make it look good.

Håkan

7 hours ago, Azgaron said:

I think scraping off the old details is needed, to make it look good.

Either that, or replace the panel with  a flat piece of styrene and save the original part for the spares box. Otherwise, the PE will stand proud. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

Update: 

Began the PE process. First I cut off bits of the tub and scraped down the detail inside (not shown):

KoArHre.jpg

Next I placed the PE bits in: 

ZPKUeH7.jpg

Color does not match unfortunately. Not sure what I can do about this now.....

Then the pedals were inserted (terribly difficult to bend and work with these): 

aVfLOw1.jpg

The display came out really nicely: 

9a8oPEb.jpg

I am now working on the HUD, ejector seat (adding seatbelts and armrests) and working on all other major detail bits in the cockpit. It is definitely already looking a whole lot better than my last SU33.... 

Stay Tuned.... 

• Like 1

Nice work! :)

That's usually? the problem with Eduards precolored sets. They seem to have their own ideas on which colors the cockpit have. :)

Håkan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Azgaron said:

Nice work! :)

That's usually? the problem with Eduards precolored sets. They seem to have their own ideas on which colors the cockpit have. :)

Håkan

Yeah that isnt even remotely similar to the flanker cockpit colors. Its more pruple than anything. Any suggestions on how to blend it into the tub? I have a couple bottles of clear blue I could mist over it all. Alclad transparent blue and Tamiya clear blue. Maybe that'd help? 

Edited by Flyboy3394

The easiest way is to live with the wrong color (if you can't beat them - join them :) ) and find a color that match and paint the rest of the cockpit in that color.

If it's "just" knobs and raised detail, I'd try and repaint in correct color and pick out/dry brush detail.

Håkan

49 minutes ago, Azgaron said:

The easiest way is to live with the wrong color (if you can't beat them - join them :) ) and find a color that match and paint the rest of the cockpit in that color.

If it's "just" knobs and raised detail, I'd try and repaint in correct color and pick out/dry brush detail.

Håkan

Good points, but I have already installed the PE and committed. Maybe a dark wash would cover up a lot of the differences? poo-poo. Knew the pre colored one was too good to be true! 

I have a couple bottles of clear blue I could mist over it all. Alclad transparent blue and Tamiya clear blue. Maybe that'd help? 

Edited by Flyboy3394
  • Like 1

Perhaps, only one way to find out though! I hope it works, if you try!

Håkan

Tonight was less productive: 

I did get the intake sections built: 

fpakEdK.jpg 

I managed to get the seatbelts on there, man was that a pain. 

hrqfiJ0.jpg

Still have the lower ones to install and a myriad of other PE bits. Really tough to work with in this scale. I built the frame for the HUD

lIscWCp.jpg

All my time was devoted to the PE so very little other progress was made.... 

Till next time. 

Edited by Flyboy3394
  • Like 1

A bit late for Flyboy - but a Su-33 cockpit looks like this (please excuse my bare knees!)......

Su-33_Cockpit.jpg

Pale blue-grey (I add a few drops of medium grey to a tin of Hulmbrol Luftwaffe Helblau)

The same colour is used on all Russian AF Flankers.

Ken

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flankerman said:

A bit late for Flyboy - but a Su-33 cockpit looks like this (please excuse my bare knees!)......

Su-33_Cockpit.jpg

Pale blue-grey (I add a few drops of medium grey to a tin of Hulmbrol Luftwaffe Helblau)

The same colour is used on all Russian AF Flankers.

Ken

Appreciate the input Ken!

Ordinarily, I would utilize this colorway, but it seems that the PE set does not match. Not really sure its worth scrapping everything and reverting to decals or another PE set thats unpainted.... Perhaps using a clear blue would get it closer to the proper shade....

Yea, Eduard is notorious for getting the colors wrong. Dream models makes a Su-33 cockpit set in 1/72 and 1/48 that is almost a perfect match. Here's a link to a 1/72 one on eBay, unfortunately it is for the Hasegawa kit. They don't seem to make one for the Trumpeter kit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dream-Model-72016-1-72-Su-33-Flanker-Cockpit-Color-Etching-Parts-for-Hasegawa/372302269283?hash=item56aef1cb63:g:ymQAAOSwQPlV9tFQ