Takom IDF Tiran 4

Question for the T-54 experts.

Does anyone know what that slotted hole in the glacis is for? I thought it was a defect in the molding but no it's shown in the instructions

and nothing mounts there that I can see.

Thanks,

Lloyd 

9 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Does anyone know what that slotted hole in the glacis is for? I thought it was a defect in the molding but no it's shown in the instructions

and nothing mounts there that I can see.

I don't know what the hole is for Lloyd. The Tiran 4 at Latrun shows it, but it's filled in, while a photo of the T54 at the Kubinka museum in Russia shows it quite clearly. The frame immediately above it has a V shaped groove in as well. It's possibly a drain hole.

Anyway, great job. It looks fine.

John.

Edited by Bullbasket

Thanks John

I never thought of it being a drain hole but you could be right.  Anther one of life's mysteries, I keep piling them

up and never will solve any.

Thanks Jim,

Not too sure about the master part though.

Take care,

Lloyd

Thanks Scimitar

I believe the IDF captured quite a few of these and converted them to their standards.  Still looks like a T-54 though.

Takom only supplied SLA decals and I thought I had some left over IDF markings but turns out they got lost somewhere in my

junk so this unit is travelling incognito. I intend to get a Meng Merkava MK IV M with the Trophy system and hopefully it

will have some extra markings I can use for this little guy.

Like FrancisGL said it needs more dirt so after I apply the decals I'll make it lots dirtier, it's too clean right now. 

Thanks Chris

There's a whole bunch of pics in the WIP on this and another topic "IDF Collection so far" in the RFI  and besides it was +35C outside when I took the pictures

and I was afraid the plastic would melt, I know I felt like it.....whew!!!  After that long cold winter this is too much too early.

I sure like the look of these T-54/T-55 AFVs and I'll probably get something like the T-55 with all of the ERA type armour.

Take care,

Lloyd 

Edited by BlackMax12

Hi Lloyd. Just a little to add to the earlier point about the hole in the glacis plate. I was a t Saumur today and had a look at their T-54 and 55 which are side by side. The 54 has the hole as per the Takom kit, and the 55 has the hole with a plug in it, attached to a chain. Also, I picked up Miniart's Tiran 4 SH Early Type while I was there, and stangley enough, it doesn't have the hole:shrug:.

John.

Thanks John

I still like the idea of it being a drain as I can't think of anything else that makes sense.  Funny that Miniart doesn't

as their kits are usually detail monsters.  Have to get me one of them even if it does have an interior.

Hope you post a WIP of the Tiran 4 SH as it should be a really nice model.

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

13 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Thanks John

I still like the idea of it being a drain as I can't think of anything else that makes sense.  Funny that Miniart doesn't

as their kits are usually detail monsters.  Have to get me one of them even if it does have an interior.

Hope you post a WIP of the Tiran 4 SH as it should be a really nice model.

Take care,

Lloyd

I have to say that I am not normally a fan of tank kits with interiors, as even with every hatch open, most of the work can't be seen. But there isn't a great deal of price difference between the interior and no interior kits, and I wanted this one as it has the 105mm gun and IDF decals. It's a hefty kit, certainly the largest box for a 1/35th tank that I've ever bought. I will do a WIP for it when I get around to it. I have four shelf queens to finish first, and then I want a crack at the SKP A30 Challenger.

John.