Opinions on ocean grey please

shatters

Having given up trying to get Humbrol 106 to give a decent coverage, I've tried using Revell blaugrau 79 instead. It gives a more blue hue. Is it too blue ? What do you think ?

resized_9b501ded-b509-48de-9399-65c4766d

Phil

• Like 1

Phil, 

Besides the poor coverage, does the Hu106 look anything like what your Revell 79 does? To my untrained eye, your Spit looks quite good and it’ll probably look better still once the decals are applied. If you isolate the Revell paint then I’d  probably agree it’s a little on the blue side, however combined with the Dark Green it seems to suit it somewhat. 

Again, this is my opinion, so take it all with a grain of salt. 

Cheers.. Dave

Even the old Humbrol authentic Ocean Grey I never thought was a good match. Tamiya do an Ocean Grey that looks pretty good. XF80something. 

After trying several alternatives, I reckon Xtracrylix/Xtracolour are pretty good for Ocean Grey. I found the Tamiya a bit blue.

Regards

Tim

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Phil, 

Besides the poor coverage, does the Hu106 look anything like what your Revell 79 does? To my untrained eye, your Spit looks quite good and it’ll probably look better still once the decals are applied. If you isolate the Revell paint then I’d  probably agree it’s a little on the blue side, however combined with the Dark Green it seems to suit it somewhat. 

Again, this is my opinion, so take it all with a grain of salt. 

Cheers.. Dave

Phil,

For what it's worth, I agree with Dave- the Revell 79 looks like a pretty good match for ocean grey, at least in your photo. I really can't help you with another brand, because I pretty  much hand mix my WW2 RAF  colors, and I am still one of those old-time enamel/lacquer guys. I think whatever the Tamiya acrylic ocean grey equivalent is looks pretty good in the models that I have seen. I think I might have a chart that lists some equivalents, by brand- I'll do a little digging. If that is Humbrol on the second photo you posted, it looks too grey and doesn't have the blue cast that I associate with ocean grey. But, I'm no Nick Millman or Dana Bell... heck, I'm not even in Rabbit Leader's league!

Mike

9 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Phil,

For what it's worth, I agree with Dave- the Revell 79 looks like a pretty good match for ocean grey, at least in your photo. I really can't help you with another brand, because I pretty  much hand mix my WW2 RAF  colors, and I am still one of those old-time enamel/lacquer guys. I think whatever the Tamiya acrylic ocean grey equivalent is looks pretty good in the models that I have seen. I think I might have a chart that lists some equivalents, by brand- I'll do a little digging. If that is Humbrol on the second photo you posted, it looks too grey and doesn't have the blue cast that I associate with ocean grey. But, I'm no Nick Millman or Dana Bell... heck, I'm not even in Rabbit Leader's league!

Mike

Thanks Mike, if everyone is in agreement I will finish using Revell 79 and post some images after decalling.

Phil

• Like 1

I can't help with the Humbrol coverage, I've used their enamel Ocean Grey without problems for ages, but this thread may help with what brand of Ocean Grey to use:

For what it's worth, I use Colourcoats.

We can't really tell, because of the differences introduced by the light in which you took the photo, the capabilities of your camera and of our monitors.  We are probably not seeing the colours you are seeing.  The best thing to do is for you to obtain a copy of the Arms & Armour book on British Colours of WWII, and look at the colour shown in that.  Then draw your own conclusions.  Barring that use Colourcoats or Xtracolour rather than any of less reliable paints. 

• Like 1