1/72nd Airfix Blenheim Mk.IV, Group de Bombardment 1 "Lorraine", Free French Air Force, Syria 1941-42.....FINISHED

Looks great. You must have a pretty extensive and interesting collection of finished models.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2018 at 1:39 AM, tonyot said:

Note the Bolly has belt fed twin Browning .303in machine guns in the mid upper turret,.... I will need to source some for this model as the kit only includes drum fed Vickers K Guns,.... which will be a nice addition to the spares box! 

Tony,

If you didn't find some Brownings for the turret, have a look at part E10; it's meant for the perspex under-chin blister on the MkIV bomber and isn't great but would probably do.

If you need a second one, PM me your address and I'll post one to you.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.

5 hours ago, Beard said:

Tony,

If you didn't find some Brownings for the turret, have a look at part E10; it's meant for the perspex under-chin blister on the MkIV bomber and isn't great but would probably do.

If you need a second one, PM me your address and I'll post one to you.

Cheers mate that is very kind of you,....... I was going to use this Browning along with one left over from another Blenheim kit, but I had a set of nose guns from an old Lancaster and used these instead as I liked the anti flash muzzles,.... I just cut the mounting and re mounted them closer together, they should look OK inside the turret,.....if not I`ll revert to your plan.  Also,...I wasn`t happy with the canopy glazing so I removed it,.... added a harness to the pilots seat, made from painted tape, then cut away the sliding roof panel and re mounted it onto a set of runners made from plastic strip,... another piece of strip was also used to make the forward frame section on the sliding panel

I also added the left over carburettor intakes onto the upper nacelles as most tropicalised Blenheim`s had  additional intakes up here too.;

40611132960_84b7199cb5_k.jpgDSCF3578 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40611132630_d6297611e9_k.jpgDSCF3579 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

Some great final touches being added here Tony. The chipping and weathering on all your latest models is very subtle and effective.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

Thanks Fella`s.......

I finished off the resin propellers and here they are compared to the kit items,....much more realistic;

27560932467_7fca4ec628_k.jpgDSCF3621 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And with that final job,....canopy back on and I`m calling this one finished now;

42430747631_1a1a233ec1_k.jpgDSCF3655_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41707394874_ae070a25e6_k.jpgDSCF3652_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41528273295_3a5b1ee6c7_k.jpgDSCF3669_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27560920027_00bf5fca6d_k.jpgDSCF3670_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27560921047_7dbd37da8a_k.jpgDSCF3668_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27560921617_ec297233a7_k.jpgDSCF3666_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27560922007_f5050d5a22_k.jpgDSCF3664_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

42380762732_328f959c1e_k.jpgDSCF3663_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41707392974_69bb79af44_k.jpgDSCF3654_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41707389524_87bc4ece17_k.jpgDSCF3659_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

42430746271_70edfc215b_k.jpgDSCF3657_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

27560922737_9595ecfe3f_k.jpgDSCF3662_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 18

That's one truly inspirational and cracking build there Tony - I now know why I bought one just the other week. Just hope I can get somewhere close to this beautifully finished example when I finally decide to tackle mine. 

Yet another excellent example of how his hobby can put a smile on ones dial! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Stop it! I can't take so much of this great talent you keep throwing at us. Great looking Blenheim, by the way.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Just browsing through BM for inspiration for my current Airfix Blenheim build, and you're really spoiling me in that regards @tonyot! Mind if I ask you a question (as your near namesake and that?) - the kit comes with two sets of engine cowls, what I'm assuming are "flaps open" and "flaps closed". I'm going with "flaps closed" for no particular reason, is there any reason why the aircraft wouldn't have had the flaps closed when parked on the ground? Many thanks!

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Just browsing through BM for inspiration for my current Airfix Blenheim build, and you're really spoiling me in that regards @tonyot! Mind if I ask you a question (as your near namesake and that?) - the kit comes with two sets of engine cowls, what I'm assuming are "flaps open" and "flaps closed". I'm going with "flaps closed" for no particular reason, is there any reason why the aircraft wouldn't have had the flaps closed when parked on the ground? Many thanks!

Hiya Tony,... glad to be of use mate,..... yes the flaps are open or closed options,..... you can choose either for a parked aircraft mate,..... nothing stopping them doing either,...... just have a browse through photos of the real aircraft for reference.

Good luck with finding a Blnheim that you fancy building,

Cheers,

Tony

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that @tonyot. Actually by Blenheim is already well underway, it's an Airfix Mk I OOB (see the link in my signature if you're interested). Being an impetuous youth (of 52) I tend not to bother with you pesky research until I'm actually in the throes of building things. The Free French Mk IV will be further down the (production) line and rest assured I'll be shamelessly exploiting making good use of your WIP when the time comes 😁.

• Like 1