Milicast 1/72 A10 Cruiser

Hello All,

My first ever Armour WIP! I attempted and failed to build and finish the Milicast A10 Cruiser for the BM 10 year GB here.

Yesterday I had built the tank and got to an even green finish. Today I learned how brittle resin is, rebuilt the gun from Albion Alloys nested brass tube, painted the dark green blotches and weathered it a little:

IMG_8334.jpg

I still need to paint the tyres, tracks and details, add some markings and then weather it some more.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 4

Really like that - just out of interest what paints did you use as I have a few to do in the early war two tone green scheme?

All the best 

Ben

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, badger said:

what paints did you use

I used acrylic Humbrol 253 for the light green and 242 for the dark green. These are Humbrol's renditions of RLM83 and RLM71 late- and early-war Dunkelgruns. I wanted a brownish green. Hu86 (Light Olive Drab) was too dark and too green for me, but made a nice base shade layer. The Airfix red-boxing of the 1/32 17 Pounder calls out Hu253 for the green, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I haven't done any armour for many decades, and reading all the modern threads about the evolution of British armour colours during WWII made my head spin! The accompanying Tamiya paint mixes meant nothing to me. What I think I know is that for 1940 I should probably have gone a bit browner with the lighter green, but I can live with this.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 2

On 15/05/2018 at 08:46, Stephen Hawkins said:

a fan of their kits

I was quite amazed to see the whole body and running gear as a single piece, and I have also been amazed at the sharpness and quantity of the detail. I have a feeling it won't be my last one - I rather like the quirkiness of the early WWII English tanks.

Regards,

Adrian

And done!

I copied one of the schemes from the Bronco kit, showing a 1st Armoured division tank in Alexandria in 1940:

IMG_8358.jpg

The light weathering is a combination of dry-brushing lighter shades and a rusty grey wash. All markings are hand painted because I don't have an armour decal stash. The 1mm high serial numbers look a bit ropey close to but they are OK from a foot or two.

There are a couple more pictures in the RFI section too.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Cracking work Ade, that's superb, doubly so for a first effort.....You nailed the early war camo better than I ever have!  :thumbsup:

One thing though dude, if you ever need braille decals or the like.....Just ask!  :coolio:

• Thanks 1