Spitfire Mk.22 x 2 - Airfix 1/72

'Struth Ced, I feel like I've run a marathon only to find everyone's packed up & moved to the next event. Turn my back for a few days & there's six pages to catch up with, the collected trials & tribulations if a gang of crazies with some modelling chucked in, very decent modelling too, with fine entertainment for desert. Love your 22s, they're lovely to look at in either scheme, &, now that I've mangled enough metaphores for tonight, I'll see you at the Beaufighter thread. I'll really try & keep up this time, honest. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, perdu said:

Ignore it.

Oh OK, 'cos its you

😱

Thanks Bill - blocked drain from the top of the bay roof some time ago. It's been stuck with wallpaper glue before but maybe time for something stronger... unless the ceiling's coming down 😨

12 hours ago, Courageous said:

Nice to see the ceiling diorama with you work.

I'm in the process of doing the same in the 'man cave' mk2. but it'll have a lonely Hurricane at this stage.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart - it's nice to have one's models readily visible, unless... (see below) :) 

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

'Struth Ced, I feel like I've run a marathon only to find everyone's packed up & moved to the next event. Turn my back for a few days & there's six pages to catch up with, the collected trials & tribulations if a gang of crazies with some modelling chucked in, very decent modelling too, with fine entertainment for desert. Love your 22s, they're lovely to look at in either scheme, &, now that I've mangled enough metaphores for tonight, I'll see you at the Beaufighter thread. I'll really try & keep up this time, honest. :)

Steve.

No worries Steve - I do tend to get through things quickly. :) See you at the Beau.

3 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice with all the planes hanging in the ceiling! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan :) It is nice until you notice...

41547278725_a043979147_z.jpg

... after it's been hung. Rats. 

I hadn't noticed this before and it seemed OK here:

41506508705_2cb2225601_z.jpg

... although you can see a faint variation in the colour if you look really hard. As it's hanging over my bench it'll be visible ever time I look up to ponder a problem so it has to be sorted.

I started cutting off the carrier with the S-M fine:

41726318624_0971b20700_z.jpg

... but then realised I was a bit shaky and cutting around the trestle stencils would be impossible so:

40641394480_f8577c40fc_z.jpg

... pricked and then soaked in Daco strong. Now looks good enough for the ceiling and will get re-hung tomorrow:

41732993994_9a1a3957a6_z.jpg

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I really didn't want to say anything yesterday Ced, but now you've mentioned it, you also have slight silvering on the squadron codes on the camo machine....

But they are still a mighty fine pair & the pic of the three Griffon powered machines in formation is splendid!

Top jobs again!

Kieth

• Thanks 1

Thanks Stuart :) But then...

Keith you're right. You can see it here:

28535868588_1ce0601967_z.jpg

Just. It's not that visible in real life, but as you've mentioned it I'd better gentleman's parts* it and... DAMN! The tool slipped and scraped off the top of the 'A'.

Thinks... I have another set of transfers.

Daco strong on the current one, wait a shockingly short time until it softens and pull it off.

Apply the replacement decal on a pool of Klear, then the other one on top. Roll over with a cotton bud.

We'll see what it's like in the morning...

* You know what I typed there, don't you. I think the background censor actually makes it worse - fnaar!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Better:

42415574502_a34a1b989b_z.jpg

But then I chipped the paint removing the carrier on this side:

41743276204_23159caf63_z.jpg

Fixed with some dots of thinned paint:

42415642182_ba27646036_z.jpg

Maybe I should have done that in the first place...

NOW it can go back on the ceiling :) 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Hi Stuart - ask away!

The eye screws are these from B&Q.

I use eyes rather than hooks as then you can string strong thread (I use button thread which is stronger than normal cotton) between the eyes to form a 'web' of supports for lighter models with heavy ones hanging directly from the eye (or two eyes for specials).

I've started using invisible thread to hang the smaller models as it's, er, invisible. That's why I have limited mojo for this job - tying knots in invisible stuff is bad for the eyes 🤪

I currently tie a slip knot in the thread and tighten this on the tail but don't cut the thread from the reel. I make sure the thread is on the 'gripper' on the reel as if you drop the reel from the ceiling it's a pain to rewind (ask me how I know).

Then, carrying scissors (carefully) I climb the step ladder (a solid one), loop the thread around the cotton a few times so it grips and lower the model to the required height.

I then loop the thread around the nose (usually just behind the spinner) and tie another slip knot.

You can then adjust the attitude

- nose up or down by gently pulling on the thread

- yaw by 'spreading' the thread where it loops over the cotton.

Bill has suggested drilling holes in the models and glueing the thread in to suitable locations but I'm not ready to 'commit' to this method yet!

HTH :) 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Better:

42415574502_a34a1b989b_z.jpg

But then I chipped the paint removing the carrier on this side:

41743276204_23159caf63_z.jpg

Fixed with some dots of thinned paint:

42415642182_ba27646036_z.jpg

Maybe I should have done that in the first place...

NOW it can go back on the ceiling :) 

Nice work on fixing that Ced - but it's that word work that made me hesitate to mention the silvering, as I didn't want to cause you more!  

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks Keith, Håkan and Leon - on the ceiling now so (almost) out of sight, out of mind.

My small mind is now trying to decide what Beau to model.

Confusing...

• Like 1