Spitfire Mk.22 x 2 - Airfix 1/72

You have done a necessary and valuable thing. :nod:

Two Spitfires saved from a life of non-painted misery now run free and colourful in the Ced Supermarine Sanctuary.

• Haha 8

47 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

As for " pool boy " duties

Starting early with pool season, aren't you? If the weather stays good, I may be able to open mine on the first week of June - and BTW, nobody is even going to look at it till the water temperature goes beyond 26 centigrades...

Sorry for the pool drift, Ced...

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Not the sort of comment one needs to be making with BM's answer to Viz's  Finbar Saunders around!

The Spit is looking rather nice Ced. It was well worth the trip to London to catch up with you and Navy Bird yesterday, even if I have spent most of today asleep.

Martian 👽

Clearly our posts crossed. The camouflaged Spit is looking good as well. From here I can't see what you were worrying about regarding your finishing yesterday.

Thanks Martian :) Yes, it was good to meet Bill and the trip around the RAF Museum was enhanced by the wise comments of you both. 

As posted elsewhere we also had a pilgrimage to Hannants:

28455403768_e8ebe9f9e8_z.jpg

Has to be done! Great day and good to see you, as always.

Hope you have a good trip back Bill :) 

19 hours ago, giemme said:

Wow, what a progress here :clap:

Lovely paint job on the camouflaged aircraft 👏

And "bubble" could have been a nice WHIF war name, after all ... :rofl:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :D 

18 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I've lurked long enough before joining BM to know what I was letting myself in for! :winkgrin:

Very wise Heather - always good to check out the crowd first :) 

16 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice paint job Ced! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan, easy to get a good finish with Colourcoats :) 

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Wow👌 Thanks for an awesome catch up. While I’ve been busy on my 1:1 scale kitchen you seem to be doing a rather grand job of silver and camo spitfire lovely ness. Great rod work

on the guns too.  Just to let you know the temptation to buy new tools on this thread is immense.  IMMENSE! 😧

Thanks Johnny :) Go on, buy some more tools, you know you want to...

13 hours ago, perdu said:

An aileron with oddball camouflage demarkation

Not like the real thing then...

Much

I would leave that aileron alone, it makes the aeroplane look real-er ask anyone

Good paint, soon fix that little overblow

Thanks Bill - all done before I read this, along with the too straight camo line on one wing :) 

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I agree ( for what it's worth ) about the aileron, leave it as is.

As for " pool boy " duties, I should be so lucky. It's just the annual job of opening it up, connecting all the filter and steriliser gubbins then brushing the bottom every couple of hours to send all the crap through the sand filter. It's all ready for use now,but I think SWMBO will require the temperature to rise a little ( 20C at the moment ) before she ventures in.

Now, what did I do with all those unfinished aeroplanes.

John

Sorry John, too late, aileron 'corrected' :) 

Shame about the pool boy duty but it is fun messing about with pools eh? 

Mrs B's Uncle had an 'Octopus' thing that connected to the filter and shuffled across the bottom of the pool. Great thing.

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You have done a necessary and valuable thing. :nod:

Two Spitfires saved from a life of non-painted misery now run free and colourful in the Ced Supermarine Sanctuary.

Thanks Tony :) 

The sanctuary is getting bigger and now I've gone and ordered Eduard's 'bargain' D-Day Dual Combo. Couldn't resist the discount. I'll have to make more space on the ceiling...

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Starting early with pool season, aren't you? If the weather stays good, I may be able to open mine on the first week of June - and BTW, nobody is even going to look at it till the water temperature goes beyond 26 centigrades...

Sorry for the pool drift, Ced...

Ciao

No worries Giorgio, drift away... (now have images of those inflatable bed things in the pool) :) 

4 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

Gadzooks, the rate of progress here is mind-boggling.

They sure look the biz! I am suitably boggled.

Thanks G, very kind :) 

Before I can apply the transfers I need to spray the red band - rats. It would have been MUCH easier to spray that first and mask it off before doing the rest of the painting. Too late now so some tricky masking was required:

28489688928_d8f3e0e60e_z.jpg

All went well, except some paint that pulled off the tailplane when I ripped of the tape:

42314485262_7794168be0_z.jpg

Ready for transfers now:

41640237004_215c6fa5cb_z.jpg

.. but I'm not feeling up to it. We went to a friends for dinner last night and it was a late one.

Badly hung over today - that'll teach me (although probably not...)

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

Nice painting. It looks as though the camouflaged one will be as attractive as the silver one.

I'm currently laid up with back spasms so I'm stuck inside instead of being out on a walk with some friends that has been planned for some three months or so. So, what is a man to do except look for ways to extend his stash? As a result of this thread, I have been looking for an Airfix 1/72 Spitfire 22 high and low and cannot locate a single one on t'web. Strange but true.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

This Spitfires look wonderful.  Has anyone built the Admiral or Special Hobby Mk21 or Mk 22 in 1/72nd?  I have them in my cart at Hannants.

Speaking of which...I have always wanted to go there.  It must be amazing.  I imagine I would walk in and they would say, "Hey...you're that guy from Greece who orders all the stuff...!"

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I have been looking for an Airfix 1/72 Spitfire 22 high and low and cannot locate a single one on t'web. Strange but true...

53 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

me neither, hence the Admiral or Special Hobby brands...

Kingkit have plenty, second-hand for £7.50 and new for £9.99, help yourselves lads :)

Ced - apologies for spend drift :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Has anyone built the Admiral or Special Hobby Mk21 or Mk 22 in 1/72nd?

Not made the Admiral one but the Special Hobby isn't as accurate as the Airfix (although you do get loads of spares).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice painting. It looks as though the camouflaged one will be as attractive as the silver one.

I'm currently laid up with back spasms so I'm stuck inside instead of being out on a walk with some friends that has been planned for some three months or so. So, what is a man to do except look for ways to extend his stash? As a result of this thread, I have been looking for an Airfix 1/72 Spitfire 22 high and low and cannot locate a single one on t'web. Strange but true.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian :) Sorry to hear your back's playing up - get well soon. In the meantime, get those kits ordered!

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

This Spitfires look wonderful.  Has anyone built the Admiral or Special Hobby Mk21 or Mk 22 in 1/72nd?  I have them in my cart at Hannants.

Speaking of which...I have always wanted to go there.  It must be amazing.  I imagine I would walk in and they would say, "Hey...you're that guy from Greece who orders all the stuff...!"

Thanks John :) Always worth a visit, especially if you're at the RAF Museum.

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

Kingkit have plenty, second-hand for £7.50 and new for £9.99, help yourselves lads :)

Ced - apologies for spend drift :)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew - no need to apologise for a drift in my threads! :) 

50 minutes ago, Beard said:

Not made the Admiral one but the Special Hobby isn't as accurate as the Airfix (although you do get loads of spares).

Thanks Simon :) 

Feeling a little more human so on with the satin for the silver and a pre-transfers Klear coat for the camo:

40557970390_6994132d9f_z.jpg

Of course that meant I could do this:

27495963757_de923cf805_z.jpg

Just need to fit the exhausts and that pesky transfer on the canopy. Not up to that at the moment! :hungover:

• Like 16

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Feeling a little more human so on with the satin for the silver and a pre-transfers Klear coat for the camo:

27495963757_de923cf805_z.jpg

Just need to fit the exhausts and that pesky transfer on the canopy. Not up to that at the moment! :hungover:

A thing of beauty. More than enough to reduce a grown man to tears!

Not me of course... Those aren't tears, I um... I have a headcold. Yeah, that's right!

I have to say Airfix really have a little gem with this kit. (Stubby barrels notwithstanding, although you have fixed that one rather nicely. Can't go wrong with a big barrel... Always terrifies the clergy.) I'm hoping they will release more of these. Indeed I hope that, one day, they use this as the basis for a Mk.24 kit or even a Seafire 46/47.

On the strength of the box art and subject matter alone, this is the kit that got me back into modelling after a 25 odd year hiatus. No regrets. I just wish I could make them look as good as you do.

Even when hungover... Blimey!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Sleek...

17 hours ago, giemme said:

Agreed! :Tasty:

Ciao

16 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Agreed too (two?)

John

Thanks Gents :) 

14 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Ag(th)reed.

You've once again proven that Spitfires look great in silver, Ced. Wow, that's a beauty.

And the Silhouette masks have worked a treat!

Thanks Cookie :) Yep, the Silhouette certainly made this much less painful, great investment!

11 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Yep, wot they all said.

BTW, did anyone mention the gripper pins?

I have a few, never thought of using them like that.

Thanks Pete :) Fatalbert mentioned them here as 'Skin Pins' and searching for that shows them available on eBay et al. Mine came with the Sphere Products stand(s) but it's nice to know they're available separately. 1/8 is a good size for most 1/72 kits IMHO.

7 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

A thing of beauty. More than enough to reduce a grown man to tears!

Not me of course... Those aren't tears, I um... I have a headcold. Yeah, that's right!

I have to say Airfix really have a little gem with this kit. (Stubby barrels notwithstanding, although you have fixed that one rather nicely. Can't go wrong with a big barrel... Always terrifies the clergy.) I'm hoping they will release more of these. Indeed I hope that, one day, they use this as the basis for a Mk.24 kit or even a Seafire 46/47.

On the strength of the box art and subject matter alone, this is the kit that got me back into modelling after a 25 odd year hiatus. No regrets. I just wish I could make them look as good as you do.

Even when hungover... Blimey!

Thanks G :) 

It is a great little kit... thanks for your kind comments too. Can I get you a tissue? :D 

A couple of little tings with the silver before she's done. I realised the back of the canopy should be painted (you can just see the frame here) and I forgot to remove the masks on the underside lights (duh) but both done now. 

40572176060_f6a2dcf3a4_n.jpg 41657089374_65e16bdc10_n.jpg

This morning's quiz: Can you see which I noticed before I took these photos?

42331301852_efdc0d092d_n.jpg 27510486747_658f42bb0e_n.jpg

27510486157_49a744162f_n.jpg 27510485947_f63579cde4_n.jpg

42331301222_e4e9328217_z.jpg

42331301562_5e59e39315_z.jpg

Transfers on the camo version later.

• Like 18

They are very nice looking models Ced, especially the one above.  Salubrious to say the least.  Gotta go dinner is on the table and Billy and Mandy (Bull Arab dogs) are eyeing off my share.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Stephen, kind of you :) Hope you got to your dinner before the dogs!

Thanks Håkan, glad you like it :) 

I got one wing done on the camo version before I decided I'm not up to any more:

41480230965_9fd3275d5b_z.jpg

I blame Sophie Ellis-Bextor. We saw her last night at the Bath Festival do. Vehry Prety Gal and a lovely mover. Beer was had :hungover:

Yes, again.

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I blame Sophie Ellis-Bextor. We saw her last night at the Bath Festival do. Vehry Prety Gal and a lovely mover. Beer was had :hungover:

Yes, again.

Haha Ced, looks very good. Both, but decaling with a slight  hangover could be difficult. By the way she's very good and Idanced to this more than once:

Cheers and also asunny Sunday. (But expecting heavy storms tonight)

• Like 2

Thanks Benedikt :) She is gorgeous, I have to admit... last night she was wearing a short, floaty dress and at one point commented that the wind might blow her skirt up and "show my pants".

I don't think many men in the audience looked away from the stage / big TVs for a LONG time.

Another milestone:

27515745607_3dfdbcf113_z.jpg

I'm really liking DecalFix with the Airfix decals. It is a bit sticky as it dries and the bottle promises to pull the decals down too. That said they stay slippery on the Klear for quite a long time, hence the staged application.

Not helped by the need to put transfers on the transfers:

40577954270_6962d74ce6_z.jpg

Yep, I noticed that the transfer wasn't quite down at the bottom, now brushed flat.

I'll let that dry for an hour or so.

• Like 12

That's a lot of very fine decalling! Decalfix is my go-to decal settler-downer, and I even use it over matt finishes without any silvering. Best stuff ever, IMHO, not that I've tried many of the others.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Thanks Adrian :) Oooh, on matt finishes without silvering? I may be a convert!

Other side and bottom done:

42388589651_40cdfb2383_z.jpg

Same problem with the sticky out bits. Ho hum.

I'll leave that to dry overnight as we're back to the Festival show tonight.

Midge Ure and Robert Plant.

Met Office says the thunderstorms will be gone by early evening.

Fingers crossed :fingerscrossed:

• Like 11

Nice work with the decals! :)

She looked pretty hot! :) Sang well too!

Håkan

• Like 1