Spitfire Mk.22 x 2 - Airfix 1/72

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Looking rather spiffing Ced, cracking decal job!

Keith

Thanks Keith :) 

I've bought some broaches by the way... how the heck do they work then??

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking very nice indeed. Those yellow dashed lines round the cockpit frame are the very devil to align.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian :) I'm leaving the others off until after the canopy masks are off.

5 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice work with the decals! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan :) 

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

I go away for a few days and look what happens! You're building not one but two spits and they're are nearly finished...looking very tidy indeed. I thought this was going to be an OOB build but being the tool tart you are, you just had to get drills out and stuff. Good show.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart :D Getting my tools out? If you've got it, flaunt it :wicked: 

3 hours ago, Christer A said:

What, decals already?

Didn't you start this due yesterday?

I could've sworn...

It sure looks pretty in silver though!

Thanks Christer :) Hopefully it'll look pretty in camo too…

Ocean Grey on:

41401768665_01b987cb69_z.jpg

Took ages to cover those decals :D 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Are you sure the 22's were still painted Ocean Grey not Dark Sea Grey Ced? Is it what the destructions call for? Oh and unlike Christer it does look grey to me! :smile:

As to the broaches, honestly - I can't remember!! It's at least 40 years since I last used them when in Uni.. I just remember them being very useful for making neat holes in thin sheet metal so assume (I know, I know!!) they'll be just as good in plastic - I really should have bought some to re-aquint myself with their use before opening my big trap! To the best of my recollection, when using them in metal you drill a small pilot hole then rotate the broach in it to cut the required size hole.... Apologies also as I didn't realise they were as small as they are when looking at the website.

Hopefully there might be someone more current in engineering practice that can expand on their use - maybe Bill @perdu will wander by soon....

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I've bought some broaches by the way... how the heck do they work then??

You stick 'em in a hole and twiddle them to make the hole bigger. 

Quiet at the back, there! 🤫

The broach has five or so cutting edges along its length. It's designed to open a hole slightly where a drill might not be exactly the right diameter. It does rather rely on being able to get the broach far enough into the hole, of course. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

The broach has five or so cutting edges along its length. It's designed to open a hole slightly where a drill might not be exactly the right diameter. It does rather rely on being able to get the broach far enough into the hole, of course. 

Always an essential part of my tool kit.

Once you've used them, you'll wonder how you got on without them.

A word of warning though, be careful with the fine tips as they can snap off very easily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Heather points out you need to insert the broach into a hole in order to enlarge and essentially too, to reshape the hole in a production process

When I was in engineering we had huge machines that could hold the workpiece and pull the broach through its pilot hole

We often used them on hexagonal blanks that could be used, perhaps to make accurate spanners, they can be any shape you want

Broaches come in several shapes and sizes and have cross slots that each comprise a cutting tool

If using them Ced you may find the tapers can go oversize, make sure you only push it through as much as you want

Those I saw in your toolshop thread look very delicate, be prepared for breakages

They are not likely to be very flexible

You bend it - you broke it...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 23/05/2018 at 17:49, Christer A said:

From this angle the ocean grey looks very ocean green..

Must be those decals that has caused a strange reaction ;)

Don't worry Christer, it's the photo - it is grey, honest :) 

On 23/05/2018 at 18:41, keefr22 said:

Are you sure the 22's were still painted Ocean Grey not Dark Sea Grey Ced? Is it what the destructions call for? Oh and unlike Christer it does look grey to me! :smile:

As to the broaches, honestly - I can't remember!! It's at least 40 years since I last used them when in Uni.. I just remember them being very useful for making neat holes in thin sheet metal so assume (I know, I know!!) they'll be just as good in plastic - I really should have bought some to re-aquint myself with their use before opening my big trap! To the best of my recollection, when using them in metal you drill a small pilot hole then rotate the broach in it to cut the required size hole.... Apologies also as I didn't realise they were as small as they are when looking at the website.

Hopefully there might be someone more current in engineering practice that can expand on their use - maybe Bill @perdu will wander by soon....

Keith

Thanks Keith - not sure about the grey, just following Airfix orders! 

Don't worry about your broach advice, no need to apologise; I'll get the hang of them :) 

On 23/05/2018 at 18:44, Heather Kay said:

Thanks Heather :D I'll resist the temptation for a fnaar! Oh rats...

On 23/05/2018 at 18:54, cngaero said:

Always an essential part of my tool kit.

Once you've used them, you'll wonder how you got on without them.

A word of warning though, be careful with the fine tips as they can snap off very easily.

Thanks Chris - I'll be careful; they do look fragile :) 

On 23/05/2018 at 19:00, perdu said:

As Heather points out you need to insert the broach into a hole in order to enlarge and essentially too, to reshape the hole in a production process

When I was in engineering we had huge machines that could hold the workpiece and pull the broach through its pilot hole

We often used them on hexagonal blanks that could be used, perhaps to make accurate spanners, they can be any shape you want

Broaches come in several shapes and sizes and have cross slots that each comprise a cutting tool

If using them Ced you may find the tapers can go oversize, make sure you only push it through as much as you want

Those I saw in your toolshop thread look very delicate, be prepared for breakages

They are not likely to be very flexible

You bend it - you broke it...

Thanks Bill :) The videos on YouTube are all about ginormous machines chopping weirdly shaped holes...

On 23/05/2018 at 20:10, giemme said:

One with decal already, the other one getting there ... that was quick! 👏 Great job, Ced!

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - more decalling below! :) 

Is this therapeutic? Let's start with some fiddly bits and see how we get on...

41438822685_457f26ddd1_z.jpg

Well, that was OK. I'm finding the DecalFix good actually - sort of sticky which is good, especially on the tiny ones:

42340912441_f705f0903e_z.jpg

Side 2 complete.

Bottom later (titter titter). Mrs B needs a lift into town...

• Like 16

1 hour ago, CedB said:

not sure about the grey, just following Airfix orders! 

Yep appears Airfix are right, managed to find my copy of Lucas' Camouflage & markings book & he has them being Ocean Grey.

Those decals look to be going on very nicely indeed!

Keith

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

looking good ced

ocean grey is correct btw

Thanks Stu :) 

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Speeding along nicely Ced, she's looking very pretty in her shiny silver coat!

Ian

Thanks Ian - nice innit? :) 

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Yep appears Airfix are right, managed to find my copy of Lucas' Camouflage & markings book & he has them being Ocean Grey.

Those decals look to be going on very nicely indeed!

Keith

Thanks Keith :) They went on really well over the VMA Silber, nice and slidey.

Bottom done:

41622541844_923f53e4d6_z.jpg

Getting the roundels over the pitot and aerial was A PAIN. I'd suggest sticking them on after the roundels next time (too late for me...)

I'll let that dry and then blast on some satin varnish to blend in and seal the transfers.

• Like 16

Slow down a bit, I can't keep up!

I've been a little preoccupied with my ' pool boy ' duties the last couple of days, but I've caught up now. The Mk 22 in silver really does look terrific, but I must resist, other things to finish first.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

Thanks John and John :) 

'Pool boy duties'? Ahem... is that like in those films some may have seen?

Time to mask the camo version. Easy for me, just 'print out' a 'type A scheme' template using the Portrait and we're off!

Um, what's this?

41624011644_1873114728_z.jpg

In my design I have the two different bits that go across the fuselage for different canopies labelled 'Normal' and 'Bubble'.

Someone forgot to set the 'Bubble' to 'No Cut'.

Someone is an idiot.

I also found that the Mk 22 has a bigger empennage than other marks AND that the scheme varies a little on the rudder. Also, some lazy oik painted the whole of the ailerons. Nothing that couldn't be sorted with some tape:

42298690062_347cb2347a_z.jpg

Into the booth with the Colourcoats, making sure the Ultramask hadn't lifted over the bumps before spraying:

41445098325_9cf5c3f7c2_z.jpg

think I made sure to spray away from the mask but I couldn't wait to see if I'd messed up:

41624366844_627e69244f_z.jpg

love this paint. Just a bit here and here:

40540302870_be13a003f2_n.jpg 41445187685_0ce15fbb07_n.jpg

... although that bit near the starboard aileron was a masking fault. 

I'll soon get that touched up. You know how much I love a touch up (fnaar!) :wicked: 

Must give the paint a chance to dry before I rip off the other masking but then it'll be a gloss coat and MORE transfers.

Out to dinner tonight so hopefully in the morning.

• Like 18

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 18:44, Heather Kay said:

Not the sort of comment one needs to be making with BM's answer to Viz's  Finbar Saunders around!

The Spit is looking rather nice Ced. It was well worth the trip to London to catch up with you and Navy Bird yesterday, even if I have spent most of today asleep.

Martian 👽

Clearly our posts crossed. The camouflaged Spit is looking good as well. From here I can't see what you were worrying about regarding your finishing yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Wow, what a progress here :clap:

Lovely paint job on the camouflaged aircraft 👏

And "bubble" could have been a nice WHIF war name, after all ... :rofl:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Not the sort of comment one needs to be making with BM's answer to Viz's  Finbar Saunders around!

I've lurked long enough before joining BM to know what I was letting myself in for! :winkgrin:

• Haha 7

13 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

I've lurked long enough before joining BM to know what I was letting myself in for! :winkgrin:

Welcome to the madhouse then! :mental:

Martian von Wibble 👽

• Like 2

Wow👌 Thanks for an awesome catch up. While I’ve been busy on my 1:1 scale kitchen you seem to be doing a rather grand job of silver and camo spitfire lovely ness. Great rod work

on the guns too.  Just to let you know the temptation to buy new tools on this thread is immense.  IMMENSE! 😧

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An aileron with oddball camouflage demarkation

Not like the real thing then...

Much

I would leave that aileron alone, it makes the aeroplane look real-er ask anyone

Good paint, soon fix that little overblow

• Like 3

I agree ( for what it's worth ) about the aileron, leave it as is.

As for " pool boy " duties, I should be so lucky. It's just the annual job of opening it up, connecting all the filter and steriliser gubbins then brushing the bottom every couple of hours to send all the crap through the sand filter. It's all ready for use now,but I think SWMBO will require the temperature to rise a little ( 20C at the moment ) before she ventures in.

Now, what did I do with all those unfinished aeroplanes.

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 2