Spitfire Mk.22 x 2 - Airfix 1/72

On 21/05/2018 at 08:20, TheBaron said:

You make no mention of bringing her home again Ced. I feel sure that was just an oversight on your part.

We went on a school trip to Weston-Super-Mare in 1973. My main memory of that day is that my nan had made a load of Scotch eggs for my packed lunch which caused me to fart raucously in the coach all the way home.  Happy days.

:rofl2: Yes, we did bring her back Tony, there's the inheritance to consider! Nah, she's a nice old dear really (90th birthday recently).

For those of you who know Weston-Super-Mare this photo will come as a shock:

42275055051_0d6ce57598_z.jpg

Yes, the 'sea' was IN! Rarely seen, hence Weston's nickname of Weston-Super-Mud.

It's the first time we've been on the 'new' pier:

28402301138_53f1228dfa_z.jpg

Nicely done if you like amusement arcades. The walkway is great though and there's an 'Edwardian Tea Room' right at the end that serves 'Steak and Ale Pudding' so I was sorted!

On 21/05/2018 at 08:20, TheBaron said:

Them Spits are coming along most handsomely - those improved cannons looking like they pack a real sting. Glad you remembered the canopy masking.

You've probably mentioned it previously but are you going to be painting the roundels and codes?

Lovely work.

Thanks Tony, very kind :) 

Painting the roundels and codes? Have you seen them?!!

27404568187_58b20831b3_z.jpg

No way am I going to attempt those checkered things on the silver one and the 'race' camo version is... I... NO! OOB(ish), I'll use the transfers.

12 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:
3 hours ago, giemme said:

Ced, I'll just add that I own that .... :whistle: :devil:   :rofl:

Ciao

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

...and I'll add that I just went and bought one! #howtoexplainthistowife #bestnotmentionitperhaps :whistle:

Thanks Charlie for the link and Giorgio and Tony for the extra temptation... but I will resist, RESIST I tell you...

Masking. Here we go:

42228013082_c6789c9c71_z.jpg

I love my punch sets and get them out whenever possible (and the punch sets - fnaar!)

I got lucky and selected the right sized punch (1.8mm) first time - a good start.

After six or eight satisfying taps I had some little round yellow things.

Very little.

Magnifiers on max, I separated the layers (which is very fiddly) and applied the masks:

41372917015_f949da62db_z.jpg

Strangely they didn't stick very well.

Must be an inferior tape or... maybe you've used the backing sheet. you idiot! Honestly, some times I despair of myself...

Out with the punches again and these look better:

41553797034_4a88ca9846_z.jpg

On to the canopy masking.

I have low expectations in my current mental state...

• Like 15

I use my punch set quite frequently but have probably only used my Dremel, which I've had over 20 years, about a dozen times, even though I have a mini-press which a friend gave to me.

Is that the kit decal sheet above? The one in my old kit looks like it may be unusable, so I might be looking for a substitute eventually.

They look just about ready for primer, and then the camouflage.

Looking forward to it.

John

• Like 1

I haven't been to W-S-M since I was a kid, but I do remember the mud and pier.....not so sure about farting all day, but highly likely!

I also own one of those drill stand thingies, but have never used it.....

Oh, and nice progress Ced!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Leonl said:

I do like the punch set. I'm sure I need one!

Ah now Leon, they are marvellous but expensive, sadly. That said the two (one big, one small) that I have will probably last me out so worth the investment... or perhaps pressie hints! :D 

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I use my punch set quite frequently but have probably only used my Dremel, which I've had over 20 years, about a dozen times, even though I have a mini-press which a friend gave to me.

Is that the kit decal sheet above? The one in my old kit looks like it may be unusable, so I might be looking for a substitute eventually.

They look just about ready for primer, and then the camouflage.

Looking forward to it.

John

I must admit that I don't use my Dremel often either... but when I do it's quick. 

I'm clearing the stash (slowly) at present so I really ought to do a round of the tools to make sure I've not forgotten anything (like that BluFix stuff, for example...)

Those are the kit decals and I'd be more than happy to pass on the spares, if only they were the right scale :( 

1 hour ago, S5 modeller said:

Holy speed building Ced. Looking good so far. 

Hmmmm might be tempted by that dremel press myself, if my imitation tool will fit. 

Matt

Thanks Matt :) I'm resisting... at the moment. It's a real man's tool though eh? Just the sort of thing to have in the workshop... NO, stop it!

52 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I haven't been to W-S-M since I was a kid, but I do remember the mud and pier.....not so sure about farting all day, but highly likely!

I also own one of those drill stand thingies, but have never used it.....

Oh, and nice progress Ced!

Ian

Phew, thanks Ian for the reality check :) If I don't use the Dremel much why would I need a stand eh?

Primer's on:

40473783170_1128aa777f_z.jpg

What are those red and Sky bits? Prop back plates. Senior moment (again).

• Like 13

Thanks Håkan - for once my memory worked! :) 

Thanks Cookie - pleased yours has the longer ones too :D 

As promised I used the lazy Liquidex pens on the prop tips:

42235033382_8c45a4241b_z.jpg

I did use a long brush to get straight(ish) lines but otherwise a quick way to get yellow.

On to the main colours, easy one first:

28411462218_426e1d3d80_z.jpg

Colourcoats MSG, nice. I think  I'm getting the hang of this variation technique:

42284255391_b88b225cff_z.jpg

Although it doesn't show up very well in that photo.

It's subtle.

know! Me being subtle! Who'd thought it! :D 

Now the silver one. All over silver is a bit boring eh? How about some aluminium on the control surfaces and other lumps first:

42283892991_15fa3baa50_n.jpg 42283903471_534aa7abab_n.jpg

... and then spray the rest Silber:

42238087942_36bc6845f0_z.jpg

Those two blobs on the turntable to the right of the nose is me trying to see the difference. Hmmm :hmmm: 

I am quite smug about the overall variation though:

42238099812_d82ee98c55_z.jpg

40477994320_9fe82e87e8_z.jpg

Subtle again? In this shot:

42284218351_c36d4b32ce_z.jpg

... I can see a slight variation between the aluminium aileron and the Silber wing. Just.

I can also see that I didn't cover the Silber that well. I reckon it'll go under various future coats, fingers crossed :fingerscrossed:

• Like 12

9 hours ago, CedB said:

For those of you who know Weston-Super-Mare this photo will come as a shock:

42275055051_0d6ce57598_z.jpg

It's the first time I've seen the place when it wasn't raining! Family holidays when I was a kid often consisted of a week in a caravan in W-S-M. I loved it when it rained cos I'd get another Airfix kit bought for me to build! 

I was a sad kid.... :rofl2:

Keith

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Crikey Ced I'm really sorry for being very late to this double build. Sorry my alarm didn't go off and the bus drove straight by, honest  !!!

What a lovely looking pair. Great work fella.  Loved the cannon work around too.

All the best 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

Is that a damaged inner cannon barrel in the lowest photo?

Looking good in their war paint

Roger

It is, thanks Roger :) Now fixed and all aligned, plus some CA filler on the gaps (Giorgio's idea) and a bit of trimming.

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

It's the first time I've seen the place when it wasn't raining! Family holidays when I was a kid often consisted of a week in a caravan in W-S-M. I loved it when it rained cos I'd get another Airfix kit bought for me to build! 

I was a sad kid.... :rofl2:

Keith

Thanks Keith - no rain on our trip - lovely english summer day, bliss :) 

2 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice with variations in the metal! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan :) 

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey Ced I'm really sorry for being very late to this double build. Sorry my alarm didn't go off and the bus drove straight by, honest  !!!

What a lovely looking pair. Great work fella.  Loved the cannon work around too.

All the best 

Chris 

Not to worry Chris, you're here for the interesting bits :) 

1 hour ago, fatalbert said:

Really nice,and thats an Ingenious use of an 1/8 skin pin,might have to nick that idea ☺

Skin pins - that's what they are! Mine came with the Sphere Products stand but, for those who just want support during painting they're available on the 'net. The 3/32 are probably better for 1/72 as they more or less fit in a 'normal' prop hole.

Thanks for the steer :) 

• Like 2

Hello Ced. Looks very good so far. Being not so up to date so far, as I had some issues with one of my diecasts yesterday ( A deaster with a clear part of a Siku Ford GT. Maybe I wrecked it after a fine polishing with micromesh up to 6000. Just wanted to do a light coat of "Belton spray can"  clear smoke,  because of some very fine cracks after 50 years to hide, but it was like oil slick after the first coat. Tried to remove it with a kitchen tissue immediately, but it almost dried instanstly. AND the aerosol or the thinner in it made it blind and frosted it like Ca glue. Sanding for an hour was done to  keep it looking like a clear one again, but some areas are looking stll milky.  And I needed Nitro thinner with a Q-Tip to remove the remains of the paint and of course it worked like plastic glue on it. So ruined again!!!!)  Anyway Tamiya Clear smoke or blue or both together with a brush or airbrush will fix it and do in the end. Hope so/ Hopefully.

For that:

Sorry Ced to hijack you thread again. Cheers and good night to you and all others.

Edited by bbudde
  • Sad 2

Thanks Benedikt - sounds like you've had some nasty problems; good luck with them :) 

Hi Matt :) The Liquidex pens are handy - acrylic, very opaque, strong colours. I use them all the time for internals, blobbing some paint out and dabbing it on with a brush. I got mine here. Don't be confused by the 'fine tip' - they're chunky but the others types are HUGE! The white is useful, the yellow obviously and I also use the red and green and, sometimes, the blue. HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you remember The Takenaback Brothers?

Catching up on this ( I don't comment when I know nothing about the subject, so I usually just graze...) when I read the line about Ced's ma-in-law. Blimey she's only 19 years older than me...

Weston!

Blimey I like the new pier, does the floor still creak when you're in the middle

Reminder to self: go back to sample the new pier and the pies/puddings

Spitties looking very exemplary Ced, more triumphant ceilingery ahead

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Merci Tony, très gentil, mon ami :) 

Thanks Bill :) Do go to W-S-M, the pier is much improved (new deck) and the Steak Pudding with mash and gravy a treat (for me anyway).

Had some decalling mojo this morning, not to be wasted:

27425840297_bf3af3ce59_z.jpg

The transfers behaved beautifully on the shiny VMA paint.

I'm using DecalFix as these are Airfix decals so it must be right eh? Quick swipe along the panel lines and the walkways settle right in - lovely. Note that they split around the roundels so no need to worry, but I suggest applying the walkways first and snuggling the roundels in to ensure the correct positioning (oooh, get me, sounding like a modeller or sum fin!)

Don't be fooled by the panel line down the side - if you line the checkers up on that it'll be crooked (AMHIK). The black bit on the back of it does line up but then it's MkI eyeball:

41574557004_1b906fd4a4_z.jpg

I probably should have left this one until the masking was off:

40489729860_bc6af370e3_z.jpg

... and no one will see the five stencils on the prop:

40489742750_9ef0e44c46_z.jpg

Madness.

MicroSol on those, letting it dry.

Visitor this morning, maybe more later.

• Like 17

I go away for a few days and look what happens! You're building not one but two spits and they're are nearly finished...looking very tidy indeed. I thought this was going to be an OOB build but being the tool tart you are, you just had to get drills out and stuff. Good show.

Stuart

• Like 1