Spitfire Mk.22 x 2 - Airfix 1/72

1 minute ago, CedB said:

What the heck are these?

42127936921_084e2ca264_z.jpg

I haven't got one of my Spitfire 22s to hand, they're in the loft and I've been drinking so don't fancy braving the ladder, but are they the gunsight?

• Like 4

Well spotted Simon! :) 

At least the number next to them on the sprue implies they're gunsights but I think there may have been 'a technical problem' during the moulding...

As usual they're tiny so we'll see what they look like cleaned up and painted.

• Like 1

Hello Mr CedB

i've been thinking aboiut doing a plane and mentioned it to my mate Miggers he told me to get this kit

as it is easy to build and paint and looks great when done.

I don't build models at all but i do fancy a go at a Spitfire so i'll watch if you don't mind.

Cheers,Ken

• Like 4

10 hours ago, CedB said:

(Ah, designing emojis, right).

That still take 4 days to open...!! :rofl2: (good job my memory is still just good enough to remember rofl2!)

K

:dinosaur: says hi & thanks for the welcome!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beard said:

That just shows how much time I spend looking at Spitfire kits.

... and not a moment of it wasted! :D 

6 hours ago, Kenny Stevens said:

Hello Mr CedB

i've been thinking aboiut doing a plane and mentioned it to my mate Miggers he told me to get this kit

as it is easy to build and paint and looks great when done.

I don't build models at all but i do fancy a go at a Spitfire so i'll watch if you don't mind.

Cheers,Ken

Welcome Ken :) Watch along by all means, nice to have you here. It's a good choice for a first kit (or even the Airfix Mk I). Do give Miggers my regards :) 

6 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice progress! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan :) 

6 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Page two, plenty of room here at the back - peering keenly - oooh, the Airfix Mk 22, I love that kit!

I like to use either Alclad or Vallejo Metal color Semi-matt Aluminum for High Speed Silver, Ced.

Thanks Cookie and welcome, great to see you :) I'm liking the kit too so far with only a few things to watch out for. Very much 'new Airfix' i.e. remove ALL the flash and don't paint the joins (like I've done!)

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That still take 4 days to open...!! :rofl2: (good job my memory is still just good enough to remember rofl2!)

K

:dinosaur: says hi & thanks for the welcome!

Hmmm. There are a LOT of them eh Keith? Not sure I'll be using the flags any day soon 🇬🇧

5 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Oh well. Late again.

I just pull up a pew and sup some beer.

Two at a time now Ced.

Gunsight, you said. 

Not to worry Simon, welcome! :) Gun blob is more like it but I think it'll clean up :fingerscrossed:

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice easy build, OOB, ? May as well do

two at the same time then.🤩

I’ll be up the corner on the bean bag.

mines a pint. 

Johnny.😜

Welcome Johnny :) Of course doing two at the same time means I'm short of a stand... not to worry, I need a bigger one for my 1/48 future so over to Sphere I went. I assume this one's beefier than the 'small' - we shall see when it arrives!

Right, cockpit bits:

41417395814_fac7cc1bd3_z.jpg

The armour plate is a bit of a tight fit and locating the seat on just four pins is a bit fiddly but not too hard.

However (wait for it) the i/p bulkhead won't go on to the floor properly unless you remove the nasty ejector mark thingy that my chisel is pointing at. Naughty Airfix! (Where the heck's that wagging finger emoticon? Oh well...)

Once it's removed the whole things fits together nicely:

40330837410_1eba12f35b_z.jpg

... with the side 'forks' under the floor bar and the two pairs of prongs at the front over each side of the bulkhead.

Once all together the front and rear bulkheads fit into the slots in the right hand fuselage (starboard for you sailors) and, with glue applied to one side, the fuselage halves can be clamped to hold the thing in while drying:

40330891020_70a58d8367_z.jpg

I'm aiming for no gaps on the seam (pretty close now) and will scrape the paint / trim the bulkheads as required. Tomorrow.

• Like 12

A Hind you say? Sorry mate, I missed that altogether; I generally browse the site via the 'View New Content' button and I feel I usually keep abreast of what is going on... that said I wouldn't normally click on a helicopter topic so I apologise that my narrow-minded approach to things meant I missed out on one of your builds :)

Still, nice start on the Spitfires mate, looking good... :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Fuselage closed already! Nice! :)

Should need a chisel like that. Must remember to put it on tools I need list! :)

Håkan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

A Hind you say? Sorry mate, I missed that altogether; I generally browse the site via the 'View New Content' button and I feel I usually keep abreast of what is going on... that said I wouldn't normally click on a helicopter topic so I apologise that my narrow-minded approach to things meant I missed out on one of your builds :)

Still, nice start on the Spitfires mate, looking good... :D 

Cheers,

Stew

No worries Stew, I do the same 'filtering' and usually ignore jets and things too :) My method is to use a 'Content I follow' button (that one of the early help topics covered) to catch up on, er, things that I follow and then look at 'notifications' to see what members I follow have commented on or posted. I still miss GBs (for some reason) and I'm usually behind :( 

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Faster than a speeding bullet, this build. I have the Airfix Mk22 in 1/48 ( naturally ) which I was looking at only yesterday and the gunsight in that is also a clear blob, just bigger.

John

Thanks John - sort of comforting to know that the big one is the same... although it'll be more obvious that it's 'nasty' I suppose. I wonder what they wanted it to look like? :shrug: 

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Nice chiselling Ced. :thumbsup:

One tool that never leaves the proximity of the bench these days.

Is the bouffant RFI yet? :whistle:

giphy.gif

My god that man's got a DOG on his head!

I wonder what his name is?

Doug? No, that's a man with a spade on his head

Douglas? No, that's a man without a spade on his head

Aaron? No, that's a man with a wig on his head

Cliff? No, that's a man with a seagull on his head

Jack? No, that's a man with a car on his head

Derek? No, that's a man with a crane on his head

Frank? No, that's a man with a stamp on his head

Of course if the dog has had enough and struggles to get off, he'll be Claude.

Those thanks to Laff Gaff. Cheered me up anyway. My favourite?

What do you call two men standing in the window?

Kurt and Rod

2 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Fuselage closed already! Nice! :)

Should need a chisel like that. Must remember to put it on tools I need list! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan - the Master Tools chisels are worth the (small) investment - great for removing this sort of problem. They're also re-branded by Trumpeter so should be readily available. Recommended :) 

57 minutes ago, Hamden said:

IP's look good, and the fuselage fit doesn't seem to bad either!

Roger

Thanks Roger :) Nice kit this (with a bit of cleaning up).

In with the pilots:

42144805901_9f7c7cd568_z.jpg

Of course they had to have the inside of their thighs trimmed like the last lot I used. I'm quite willing to accept that they may be my mouldings and that I may have been cast from a poor mould. But I blame all the pies. You can also see the black bits with a clear bit on top that we're calling gun sights. They're probably in upside down and/or back to front but good enough for the ceiling.

I'm not going to insert the prop (as per the instructions) because a ) I've painted the bits already and b ) I want to be able to use my Sphere stands.

That means I was able to close up, using the Touch-N-Flow to save having to dip the brush in and out of the TET (and because I bought the thing and am determined to use it)

41244103245_4c3fb7612d_z.jpg

While those are drying I can dry fit the wings. Nice, apart from where the moulds have worn a bit on the edges:

40338606750_44131f7199_z.jpg

Easily trimmed though. Wings together:

42145654121_18d561439b_z.jpg

Why Liquid Poly? Because I bought it before I discovered TET and am determined to use it (seeing a theme are we?)

Exhausts blobbed with my favourite Mr Metal iron:

42145658241_7f4b906735_z.jpg

Things are drying now so I may do some canopy masking next.

Oh, and those nice lights on the bottom.

• Like 12

Looks like you criteria for a hairdresser is the same as mine. The barbers with the best looking girls gets the gig!

Martian (Hoping that the Martianess doesn't read this)

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, CedB said:

What do you call two men standing in the window?

Kurt and Rod

Despite having a gazillion emojis we're still apparently missing a groan one....!!

Spits should be finished by the weekend at this rate!

K

• Like 2

Nice progress Ced!

I'm surprised you didn't mention the Chinese lady with a food mixer on her head....Blenda! Or the man with no arms or legs in a swimming pool.....Bob.

Or Warren, the man with a rabbit up his...oh, wait, family site and all that!

All the best from rather warm Abu Dhabi. 

Ian

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2018 at 8:54 AM, CedB said:

Right, cockpit bits:

41417395814_fac7cc1bd3_z.jpg

The armour plate is a bit of a tight fit and locating the seat on just four pins is a bit fiddly but not too hard.

However (wait for it) the i/p bulkhead won't go on to the floor properly unless you remove the nasty ejector mark thingy that my chisel is pointing at. Naughty Airfix! (Where the heck's that wagging finger emoticon? Oh well...)

Once it's removed the whole things fits together nicely:

40330837410_1eba12f35b_z.jpg

... with the side 'forks' under the floor bar and the two pairs of prongs at the front over each side of the bulkhead.

Aha! I knew this thread would be a trove of useful information. In my previous PK433 build I had this exact problem with the IP fitting onto the 'floor' assembly. Being of minimal common sense I adopted a brute force approach which wound up looking awful. (The 'floor' structure bent vaguely like a banana.) Fortunately (and surprisingly) the resulting abomination fitted into the fuse without trouble and with the canopy all closed up it isn't noticeable on the completed model. Whew. Dodged that bullet.

You've saved me from round two on my next build by identifying this niggly little ejector mark that is the troublemaker. Props to you good sir! Pray continue. I am making notes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1