Spitfire Mk.22 x 2 - Airfix 1/72

I've been trying for an easy build for a while now so this time I'm playing safe - Airfix's Mk.22 Spitfire:

142690-12155-53-pristine.jpg

The kit has two schemes and as a treat to myself I'll be building both:

603 (City of Edinburgh) Sqn. PK433, Edinburgh, 1951 - Silver Overall and

607 (County of Durham) Sqn. PK553 / RAN / 4 - Cooper Trophy Air Race - Farnborough, July 1948, Dk.Green, Ocean grey, Med.Sea grey

I had thought that PK433 would give me another chance for a NMF finish but a quick reference check (couldn't find that much) implies they were painted silver so I'll be finding something suitable.

There's a review of the kit here and, with only two pages of instructions, I'm looking forward to a couple of relaxing builds.

I did panic a bit when I found one of the pilots missing, then realised I may have used it as a moulding master. Sure enough, I have two pilots already painted:

42062514302_fbc6256d35_z.jpg

All welcome! :) 

• Like 16

Funny Ced, I only got my example of this same kit out last night after seeing the new Airfix 1/48 boxtop that will soon adorn this re-released kit. I’m watching as well as no doubt your build will inspire me to elevate mine up the build queue. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

Two Spitfires? Splendid! Count me in.

If I may give you some tips:

1) it's not bare metal, it'll be painted aluminium. See here:

2) the outer cannon are too short.

Spitfire_22.jpg

There are three solutions:

i) cut the inner cannon, from a spare kit, to length and use them

iii) buy the Freightdog Mk22 improvement set (which also solves 3)

iii) ignore it

3) the propeller is too small, see here:

here are two solutions;

i) buy the Freightdog improvement set

ii) ignore it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, philp said:

More Spitfires?  Oh well, will watch anyway.  😉

Thanks Phil :) Welcome and apologies, it's an illness that I'm quite happy to suffer - I love them :inlove: 

7 hours ago, StephenCJ said:

Nice looking plane.  I have never built a Spitfire, so I will watch but I won't be eating popcorn as I hate the bl***y stuff.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen and welcome. How about some nuts? Plenty of those around here :D 

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Funny Ced, I only got my example of this same kit out last night after seeing the new Airfix 1/48 boxtop that will soon adorn this re-released kit. I’m watching as well as no doubt your build will inspire me to elevate mine up the build queue. 

Cheers.. Dave

Thanks Dave and welcome :) New boxtop?

a06101a-flat-image.jpg

Strangely that's the image I found to use as my desktop picture! I didn't find many images of the Mk.22 during my brief (re)search but that was one of them.

I like to have an image of my current build on my desktop to provide some motivation.

6 hours ago, Thomas2542 said:

Can't have too many spits, ill be following along :popcorn: :beer:

Quite right Thomas and welcome :) 

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Holy whatsits, I'm on page 1! Yay! Go for it Ced!

Ian

Welcome Ian, nice to have you along :) 

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Ah there you are Ced, I was wondering what you were up to and why so quiet... good to see you back, I'll pull up a chair next to Ian...

Cheers,

Stew

Hi Stew, great to see you :D I guess, like me, that you limit your BM browsing in some way so that you get some modelling time... probably why you missed the Hind; not my interest either but had to be done (it was taking up room in the stash!)

1 hour ago, Beard said:

Two Spitfires? Splendid! Count me in.

If I may give you some tips:

1) it's not bare metal, it'll be painted aluminium. See here:

2) the outer cannon are too short.

Spitfire_22.jpg

There are three solutions:

i) cut the inner cannon, from a spare kit, to length and use them

iii) buy the Freightdog Mk22 improvement set (which also solves 3)

iii) ignore it

3) the propeller is too small, see here:

here are two solutions;

i) buy the Freightdog improvement set

ii) ignore it.

Welcome Simon :) Thanks for the info, really appreciated. My initial thoughts:

1) BMF or NMF? Is there a difference? I saw the discussion on HSS some time ago and now that Citadel Mithril Silver has gone I plumped for VMA 'Silber' so I'll use that I think.

2) The outer cannon are too short.  Hmmm. Freightdog are out of stock and Hannants only have one left... and I'd like to build both and have them side by side. I suppose I could mould some... :hmmm: 

3) I think I'll take your option ii (eye eye!) for that and ignore it, but thanks anyway, very helpful.

25 minutes ago, amblypygid said:

Should be a lot simpler and more relaxing than the Hind, Ced!

Welcome Chris - I sure hope so! :D 

1 minute ago, giemme said:

🍿 :popcorn::beer:  And I'm on page one too :D 

Ciao

Welcome Giorgio, nice to have you along! :) 

3 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

8 hours late for this. The shame burns deep inside.

Wishing you an enjoyable and peaceful build young feller. 🍨

Welcome Tony :) No worries matey, I was asleep and didn't notice... :D 

Haircut this morning so limited time but I expect I'll do something...

I checked the first step and the internals are NOT Interior Green apparently... what! Airfix say H120 but I don't have that and it looks like they only do Light Green Matt in enamel? iModelKit tells me that VMA 71.095 Pale Green is close so I'll use that... don't tell anyone!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CedB said:

Haircut this morning so limited time but I expect I'll do something...

A line worthy of The Great Gatsby. :rofl2:

• Haha 3

Welcome John :) Now then, now then... I have bought a 1/48 Lysander so don't think your persistent pestering isn't having some effect :D 

I may even build it soon...

Thanks Tony :D I aspire to Gatsbyness... one has to keep ones standards up, old man, has to be done.

Although now I've written that I'm aware that some may take offence to some of the language... people are so sensitive nowadays. 'Old man' is, of course, a sign of affection but, without the proper accent, sounds ageist.

'Ageist', honestly, where did that come from?

And why can't we do accents while typing? What are these developers up to? (Ah, designing emojis, right).

Spookily there's an item on Radio Bristol as I type about the script for the Two Ronnies 'Four Candles' sketch being up for sale, a classic of linguistic misunderstanding:

Got any 'Os? Still good for a laugh eh?

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

46 minutes ago, CedB said:

BMF or NMF? Is there a difference?

I should have been clearer in my post; they were painted with aluminium colour paint (although the engine panels may have been left unpainted).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gazontipede said:

Lovely grub! I'll sit in too if you don't mind.

I picked up another one of these little beauties at a swap meet last weekend (I've already built an example as PK433) and I'm sure your WiP will inspire me!

Welcome G :)  Interesting handle... what's a Gazontipede? (Yes, I did Google it and just got you!)

1 hour ago, Beard said:

I should have been clearer in my post; they were painted with aluminium colour paint (although the engine panels may have been left unpainted).

No worries Simon, you were clear but I just wondered, while posting, if BMF and NMF were different? Of course thinking about the differences between 'Bare' and 'Natural' depends on whether you're a naturist I suppose :D 

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

That’s more like it, none of this fiddling around with smellicopters

Thanks PBS and welcome :) Smellicopters? Bet you wouldn't say that standing in front of a Hind!

25 minutes ago, Christer A said:

A nice pair of Spits, and a Ced speed-build to boot?

I'm in!

Welcome Christer, nice to see you :) 

11 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Is there room for one more, sorry I'm late.

As someone said can't have too many Spitfires

Roger 

Certainly room for more Roger and welcome, glad to have you along :) 

Bits separated from the sprue and cleaned up. Stuck on sticks with CA:

42077702272_2f3d7c768d_z.jpg

I've pictured the CA activator stick I bought cheap from ToolStation as I think it's ironic that it's called a 'precision activator'. Look at the size of the thing! I guess builders have a different perspective...

On with the 71.093 Pale Green - looks OK? 

41403737744_6df35058bf_z.jpg

Note that I've also sprayed the bit that will be inside the back of the canopy. On the new box art it looks grey but hey, easy build and all that.

If there are any objections I can always spray over it.

Time to get ready for my appointment with my lovely hair dresser. She's a great girl and I must admit, with my reducing hair, I'm finding it difficult to justify my visits purely on the basis of the haircut.

There are other reasons, of course, but I'll leave that to your imagination.

No, it doesn't involve bare finishes but it may be something natural :) 

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

6 minutes ago, CedB said:

Welcome G :)  Interesting handle... what's a Gazontipede? (Yes, I did Google it and just got you!)

Gazontipede: Aussie army slang (possibly archaic): descriptor applied to raw recruits when they attempt to form parade for drill, march past or similar. Derived presumably from the many arms and legs moving all over the place in a highly uncoordinated fashion.

It seemed an appropriate descriptor for my modelling skills. ;)

I'm a little surprised there are no Google hits. I heard it often enough in the late 80's...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Flippin' 'eck, it's only half past ten and the place is rammed - you don't half know how to draw a crowd Mr. B....!!

Still, I think I can see enough space for a small fat one over there...scuse me, scuse, oops sorry, scuse me, scuse....phew, I'm in....

Keith

• Haha 9

6 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

Gazontipede: Aussie army slang (possibly archaic): descriptor applied to raw recruits when they attempt to form parade for drill, march past or similar. Derived presumably from the many arms and legs moving all over the place in a highly uncoordinated fashion.

It seemed an appropriate descriptor for my modelling skills. ;)

I'm a little surprised there are no Google hits. I heard it often enough in the late 80's...

Ah G', that's identified you (and most of us) as 'Gentlemen of a particular age' eh? 

1980's - 'Gazontipede' heard often in Australian military.

1981 - IBM PC launched

1984 - Apple Macintosh launched

1989 - Tim Berners-Lee 'invents' the WWW

1998 - Larry Page and Sergey Brin found Google

I suppose it's not surprising that the things we grew up with (Apollo, Concorde, Jet Packs... oh, OK, they promised us those) let us assume that things have always been there...

Time flies old boy, time flies... :D 

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Flippin' 'eck, it's only half past ten and the place is rammed - you don't half know how to draw a crowd Mr. B....!!

Still, I think I can see enough space for a small fat one over there...scuse me, scuse, oops sorry, scuse me, scuse....phew, I'm in....

Keith

Welcome Keith (and T-Rex), good to see you. How to draw a crowd? Snacks and banter... unless you're Evel Knievel :D 

1 hour ago, Azgaron said:

Nice with 2 Spits and good start! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan - we're off! :) 

You're going to be seeing double a lot in this thread. Any more than two and you should probably cut down on the, ahem, medicine.

42126979341_9607cf2570_z.jpg

What the heck are these?

42127936921_084e2ca264_z.jpg

Hmmm. I'll clean 'em up and see what they look like painted. (OOB remember?)

41408700484_83cd6f2dd7_z.jpg

One Sky one, one red one and one with... Oi you lot, no smutty Rugby songs here, thank you!

Black blades already? Yes, I'm going to use the Liquidex pens again and see if I can get away with it.

Oh alright, I might mask up the tips first.

Bits of the internals:

42129994511_3b33371ab8_z.jpg

40323125960_b1a3a2781b_z.jpg

41229283095_14235e67e6_z.jpg

I think we're ready for assembly but I'm going out tonight to see Isobel Holly, a favourite of our friends.

More tomorrow :) 

• Like 12