Valom 1/72 DH-91 Albatross

Not long released is the Valom version of one of the prettiest aeroplanes ever built. A pretty easy kit to build with no obvious flaws. Sprayed with Revell acrylic silver and finished in the markings of G-AFDJ "Falcon" of Imperial Airways.

41393563934_e2203cfc56_b.jpg20180514_203216_edit by dereknferguson, on Flickr

41393564144_d0947ceba3_b.jpg20180514_203157_edit by dereknferguson, on Flickr

28240886438_9d6326e6c0_b.jpg20180514_203145_edit by dereknferguson, on Flickr

41393564464_b104f65620_b.jpg20180514_203124_edit by dereknferguson, on Flickr

• Like 52

Not sure where Valom got the idea of the red spinner fronts from. There are no 'in service' photos showing that, when they had polished spinners. There are 1 or 2 photos showing what appears to be paint flaking off the fronts of spinners, but it's

a stretch to say they were painted red....

The only major issue with the kit is the shape of the engine cowlings, which are apparently too fat. I'm trying to figure a way to make all 4 of them look the same when I start modifying mine.

Nicely done, it is indeed a beautiful aircraft and you've modelled it to a high standard.

Hello Derek

Another excellent model of a really good looking aeroplane. Interesting comment about the red spinners. I have seen a picture or painting from somewhere with red spinners but most of the photos have no colour on them, but who can say they were not red.

Dad

One of the most beautiful aircraft designs ever. The chief designed was Arthur Hagg who went on to design the Airspeed Ambassador.

The model looks really nice. I'm tempted now. Looks like the cockpit windows fit OK too - often a weak area in Valom kits.

Thanks folks.

As far as windows are concerned, the fuselage windows were fine. The top circular windows were less good and I stuck a length of tape to them in case they fell inside the fuselage.