Polish Fighting Team Spitfire IX

I'm sure we all know about the PFT, here's a short history if you don't-

http://www.polishsquadronsremembered.com/PFT/PFT.html

I'll be using the Airfix MkIX, I fancy something quick and have had this hanging around in the stash for a while (I think it was one of the first kits I bought on my return to aircraft modelling).

Box top:

20180514_200836

Sprues:

20180514_201023

20180514_201042

(The mote observant amongst you will notice that I've made a start by giving some parts a black undercoat.)

I've made a start with the interior, by giving it a coat of Colourcoats Interior Green:

20180514_201057

Because the Airfix IX has a lack of detail (to say the least), I'll be adding these bits from the spares box:

20180514_200938

I'm off to fondle the sprues of an Eduard Spitfire MkVIII and decide if I should make a start on it.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
Eduard make a Spitfire VIII not a VII (sadly).
  • Like 10

Good choice, 😀

Nice start, I will be watching this one. Eduard did wrong  the paint scheme on PFT Spitfire , I hope that one is correct.

• Thanks 1

Good subject Beard and I too have this kit just waiting for me to hack with. I recall being slightly disappointed with it when I first purchased it, however have had a second look lately and apart from the basic cockpit think it looks quite usable. I believe there is a slight error with the top wing as Airfix have added bulges above the wheel wells, however AFAIK these were late version features designed to accomodate the larger wheels. Either way - it’s still a good, easy kit that should build up proportionally well. I’ve got my eyes on this one so all the best. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Franz75 said:

Good choice, 😀

Nice start, I will be watching this one. Eduard did wrong  the paint scheme on PFT Spitfire , I hope that one is correct.

Can you elaborate? What did they do wrong?

12 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I believe there is a slight error with the top wing as Airfix have added bulges above the wheel wells, however AFAIK these were late version features designed to accomodate the larger wheels.  

Correct. Also late cannon bulges.

Just now, Procopius said:

Is there a definitive answer on these cannon bulges? Is there a pre/post date that one can use to determine what bulges would have ‘likely’ been used? 

Cheers. Dave

There's a discussion a discussion about cannon bulges here:

And here:

http://spitfireforums.com/index.php?topic=175.0;wap2

I'm off to look for photographs of.my chosen victim and may have to re-think what kit to use, sanding the various bulges off and replacing the cannon ones ain't hard but why bother when there are AZ Spitfire IXs in the stash.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for links Beard, there quite useful and especially sobering to read the late Edgar Brooks’ comments about this. Personally I’d like to see you stick with the Airfix kit, however can understanding why you may contemplate the switch. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Dave,

I'll find a use for the Airfix Spitfire, there are some Spits on a Hannants sheet I have for which might be appropriate but, whatever happens, I'll be using the transfers.

11 hours ago, Procopius said:

Hi Procopius.

Just painting instruction is wrong, check this out;

This is Eduards; 

https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/Spitfire-F-Mk.IX.html#gallery_start

This is a correct one 

http://archiwum.plastikowe.pl/recenzje/48-supermarine-spitfire-mk-ixc-techmod-48024

And onother correct one;

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1337

Some people are obsessed about every screw or panel line in the kit. I don't go that fair, but painting scheme mistake is too much for me. After all we are all maniacs. Are we?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A change of plan... I'll be using one of these:

20180518_210954

Made a start. As usual, I'm using Colourcoats Interior Green for the cockpit and Humbrol 33 for the bits that'll be black or as an undercoat for the bits that'll be aluminium.

20180518_211145

20180518_211155

and Colourcoats RN Anti-fouling red for the seat:

2018-05-18_09-22-51

I shall be spending the rest of the night watching documentaries about David Bowie on BBC4 and, as it's 39 years since Lodger was released, let's end with a song.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

Painting of the interior and bits continues:

2018-05-19_05-16-51

Now to sit in the garden and have a drink in the late afternoon sun whilst listening to this:

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Franz75 said:

Nice, nice, work. The seatback should be dark gray not brown, check it out. 

It's, IRRC, leather and is sometimes black. I usually paint it black and then dry-brush a black-green so it resembles the leather seats in the Rover 100 my Dad had - not accurate but it brings back great memories.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 1

The cockpit bits are almost finished.

The instrument panel:

20180520_164247

The cockpit:

20180520_145921

20180520_145938

The fuselage halves have now been glued together so I'll start work on the wings.

AZ have the wings as clipped so that needs to be changed. A few swipes with a scalpel does the job:

20180520_164112

One still to do. I'll tidy the cut up with a file.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to finish my entries in a couple of other Group Builds but have made some progress on this one. She's ready for.some paint:

2018-06-10_07-36-20

I may make a start on another entry in the next few days.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

How's the AZ kit compare to the Airfix? 

I believe it's more accurate (I seem to remember something about the Airfix one having issues with the wing chord), more detailed (the Airfix has no cockpit detail to speak of and nothing in the wheelwells) and, has more options (the AZ has early/ late tailplanes & rudder and wide & thin cannon bulges).

• Like 2