Douglas Bader's Spitfire Mk.Va...

Andre B

My personal feeling (reasoning, hunch, deduction) is that Mk.IIs generally kept their normal oil cooler while they were still operational.  Some no doubt did get later style ones eventually (at OTUs, etc).  Even very early Mk.Vs (which includes many of the Vas) had the earlier coolers when built, and naturally they'd have been the priority for refit during 1941.

Edited by gingerbob
death to typos!

I too had been under the belief that Mk II Spitfires had the later Mk V Type oil cooler and put a post up here, to be corrected by the late Edgar Brooks that Mark II Spitfires were originally built with the early Mk I style of oil cooler. I’d go with that. Edgar is a legend when it comes to Spitfire detail.

PR

• Like 1

If you want to build P7966 as Bader's aeroplane, then as Edgar pointed out a long time ago, the 'Mark V' style oil cooler...

"...was introduced onto the Mk.II production line from 26-9-41, which was over a month after Bader was shot down, and 7 months after P7966 was built, so stick with the Mk.I type."

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/14/2018 at 9:45 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

It’s also the first option in the superb DK decals range  #72036 -

spitV_aces_navod1.jpg

.... but you’re brain will go into overdrive and force you to purchase many more spitfires!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks again Dave,

Found out who fler the others ...

https://www.gdkits.com/en/dk-decals-dkd72045-1-72-supermarine-spitfire-mki-mkii-aces-p-63935.html

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

• 1 month later...

As far as I know Mixed Grey was a term used for a locally ‘mixed’ equivalent of Ocean Grey when stocks of this new paint were not readily avialable. It has been quoted as 7 parts of Medium Sea Grey to 1 part Black. To be honest I’ve seen it depicted as both a darker and lighter shade to the official Ocean Grey so I’m a little confused by this as well. 

I trust this may generate some further responses which I too will be interested to read. So this is the end of ‘Mixed Grey’ Part 1. 

Cheers . Dave 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2018 at 2:27 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

As far as I know Mixed Grey was a term used for a locally ‘mixed’ equivalent of Ocean Grey when stocks of this new paint were not readily avialable. It has been quoted as 7 parts of Medium Sea Grey to 1 part Black. To be honest I’ve seen it depicted as both a darker and lighter shade to the official Ocean Grey so I’m a little confused by this as well. 

I trust this may generate some further responses which I too will be interested to read. So this is the end of ‘Mixed Grey’ Part 1. 

Cheers . Dave 

Thanks Dave,

Is or was there an "mixed equivalent variant" of dark green as well? Looks like this open up for lots of different "greys" concerning wartime aircraft's... 😉

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

5 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Thanks Dave,

Is or was there an "mixed equivalent variant" of dark green as well? Looks like this open up for lots of different "greys" concerning wartime aircraft's... 😉

Cheers / André

No.  No mixed Dark Green, mixed  grey falls into the category of "sky" equivalents.   New scheme, shortage of official paint.  Difference here was there was an official specified substitute.

I post links to the Ducimus camo and markings booklets

Here's the Spitfire one

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/01-Supermarine-Spitfire

See page 19 for the reason for the camo change, page 21 for mixed grey.

All the Ducimus guides are scanned in the link.

HTH

• Like 1