Douglas Bader's Spitfire Mk.Va...

Andre B

It seems difficult to find decals in 1/72 for those aircraft Douglas Bader flew these days. Airfix have an good oppurtunity with their Spitfire Mk.l/ll/Va but still haven't made any kit in 1/72 with markings for any of the Spitfire's that Bader flew.

And that's goes for the Hurricane as well. I knew there är decals for Bader's Hurricane Mk.I. But are there any Mk.I available as the Airfix raggwing Mk.I is not the correct Hurricane?

Are there any decent decals out there that I've missed?

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

It’s also the first option in the superb DK decals range  #72036 -

spitV_aces_navod1.jpg

.... but you’re brain will go into overdrive and force you to purchase many more spitfires!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

.... but you’re brain will go into overdrive and force you to purchase many more spitfires!! 

That's no bad thing but, if you don't fancy building that many Spitfires (in which case I'd ask, what's wrong with you?) it wouldn't be hard to cobble the roundels, codes and serials together from the spares bin.

• Like 1

Actually @Beard, I’ve currently got three Spits on the go myself so I’d consider myself somewhat normal. You are quite correct in that one can probably find what they need in their spare decal bank. What these particular sheets provide however, are the exact sizes and fonts that I can never find on generic code/letter AM sheets - which doesn’t help if you’re a font and serial style pedant like me!! 

Cheers. Dave 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Actually @Beard, I’ve currently got three Spits on the go myself so I’d consider myself somewhat normal. You are quite correct in that one can probably find what they need in their spare decal bank. What these particular sheets provide however, are the exact sizes and fonts that I can never find on generic code/letter AM sheets - which doesn’t help if you’re a font and serial style pedant like me!! 

Cheers. Dave 

Three is a good number of Spitfires to have on the go. 🙂

I have the DK Decals sheet (or, rather, I had - I've done seven or eight of the subjects on it) and it's certainly worth investing in (even if you ain't a font and serial style pedant).

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

It’s also the first option in the superb DK decals range  #72036 -

spitV_aces_navod1.jpg

Lookit all them Spitfires! I want to build them all!

• Like 1

So you can see why I keep drumming about Airfix producing a new tool Vb / Vc kit. With great decal sheets like this I would’nt be able to stop at one - and I’m sure I’m not alone!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Option 19, is it this one?

https://goo.gl/images/cuS5dS

If so what are the colour call outs as I’ve seen all sorts of colour explanations over the years.

Trevor

To misquote a certain gameshow, 'Paint what you see.' Ocean grey on the ailerons and touched up cowling and something darker on the rest of the airframe. 

Let other people argue about the exact name of the colour.

• Haha 1

If you can find some decals for Bader’s Hurricane in 1:72 you could consider the Airfix kit and the Alleycat Metal wing Hurricane conversion set for this kit.

hope this helps you.

I’ve just acquired a Fly Hurricane MKI in 1:32 along with a sheet with markings for Bader’s Hurricane to go with the excellent AC Miniatures figure of Bader I already have.... 

Regards,

Mark

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 10:57 PM, Max Headroom said:

Option 19, is it this one?

https://goo.gl/images/cuS5dS

If so what are the colour call outs as I’ve seen all sorts of colour explanations over the years.

Trevor

It's likely fresh TSS, for my eyes at least.

Maybe the light grey on the ailerons is Ocean Grey

Certainly not Temperate Sea Scheme?  I've seen several different printed versions and what makes sense to me is early Day Fighter with a dark Mixed Grey, with replacement parts and patches in fresh Dark Green and Ocean Grey.  However, Edgar Brooks used to get quite heated, saying that he'd seen the original and it was definitely Temperate Land Scheme.  None of the printed versions I've seen had a convincing Dark Earth. In

There is a thread about that Spitfire Mk.VB, AD233 'ZD-F' colour pic somewhere here already ...

I am not sure if that was the topic if that thread tho, if I recall it correctly it was on a sidetracked thread that had a different topic.

Btw the upper cowling panel seems to be a replacement from a TLS AC,

I lightened the pic up a bit and to me even more the rest is in TSS excep the ailerons.

Btw here's the same AC from the other side:

fdcca029080309c5419f30a1b46c92d0.jpg

And here's another photo:

0b6ab79c758819b5859db2d1d907f806.jpg

3 hours ago, Andre B said:

Concerning Bader's Mk.Va... ...what prop did it have?

I've seen pictures with both the pointier and the more bulbuos spinner...

This comes back to my earlier question about photos of W3185. From my (limited) understanding of Spitfires, photos of 'D-B' with a bulbous spinner are in fact of Bader's Mk II P7966, and not of his Va which would not have had a Rotol propeller and bulbous spinner. I'd be ineterested in seeing the photos of the aircraft with thepointier spinner.

Justin

Looking at the aircraft profiles of DK Decals above W3185 has an rotol prop. Information like that makes it easy to build it with the wrong prop and spinner...

/André

Edited by Andre B

The Va would almost certainly have a DH prop and the same spinner as normally on the Mk.I.  The bulbous spinner is a strong indication that you're looking at a Mk.IIa (in this case, not a universal rule).  Note that some IIas very likely used the same DH prop and spinner- most likely late production.